Boat Building Delays

heyjude999

Featured Posts

Has anyone on this forum got anything good to say about boat builders / fitters. If we were to believe the few on here, then there isn't a single satisfied customer owning a boat. Not all builders / fitters are rogues and thieves and some actually do as asked, at the quoted price and on time... Yes believe it or not on time !!

Its very easy to note all the bad with everything, the thing we don't hear about enough are the good results.

Then first impressions are telling me Victor Meldrew would be in his element here.

Lighten up girls and boys ... Chatting to boaters out on the cut, there are loads more satisfied with their build experience than not.

Hi Ark Right,

Welcome to the forum and it's diversity of members. The world would be a boring place if we all agreed with each other :lol: or, if everyone were

pleased as punch with their boats. Personally, I'm a born optomist, sometimes a dangerous trait, especially when dealing with lots of money.

We've only been living on the canal for two years, but in that short time, we've also met people who in the majority are happy with their lot. It's only natural

given the amount of members on the forum, that there'll be folks with sad tales to tell, that's life! The important thing I believe, is to glean as much

informative data as possible from other boater's experiences, good, bad or indifferent.

I've found that it helps to save me not only money, but much embarrassment by avoiding the same cock-ups that they've encountered. Fair play to those who are bold enough

to go public with their experiences, it affords the less informed to avoid the same type of dilemma.

With regard to your first question, see post number 73.

Mike

Has anyone on this forum got anything good to say about boat builders / fitters. If we were to believe the few on here, then there isn't a single satisfied customer owning a boat. Not all builders / fitters are rogues and thieves and some actually do as asked, at the quoted price and on time... Yes believe it or not on time !!

Its very easy to note all the bad with everything, the thing we don't hear about enough are the good results.

Then first impressions are telling me Victor Meldrew would be in his element here.

Lighten up girls and boys ... Chatting to boaters out on the cut, there are loads more satisfied with their build experience than not.

Hi Ark Right,

Well i've given your suggestion some serious consideration but No.......... I really don't think I do want to lighten up! Neither do I suspect will any other person that has suffered financial loss to an unscrupulous boat builder.

What a glib comment you make. One which you would never have dreamt of making, had you been on the receiving end of things!! I, like Alan, am interested to know if you are connected to the industry in some way? Sounds as though you very well may be.

On another point you make. In general people don't like to admit they have been 'Stuffed', and so a lot more horror stories of peoples experiances about their new boat builds, and of being ripped off, remain untold. This is most likely why you mainly hear of the good experiances. I on the other hand personally know of instances where people, including some members of this forum, have lost vast sums of money, and in one case even their boat, and yet they have chosen not to 'Go Public'. I only know because these people were aware of what I had gone through with Marmaduke, and contacted me to ask what advice I could offer to them! Without exception each asked me not to reveal their stories. I have respected their wishes, but personally I do wish they would 'Go Public' as I myself did, which would hopefully help to make others aware of the rogues that lurk out there and that pitfalls do exist.

I have always said that yes, good builders do exist, but unfortunately they are the minority. I also think that owners of boats which were ordered and built for them, say 6 or more years ago, did have a far more satisfactory experiance and so are happy to relate this. I think the rot started to set in about four or five years ago when new companies started to set up on a shoestring, quickly discovered they were in the shit financially and so began to cut corners, before going to the wall, causing customers to lose money and boats, seeing their dreams turn into nightmares!! Unfortunately I think the more reputable and established companies that were about, also suffered because of this, by losing orders etc. and in attempt to compete, they lowered their own business ethics and also lost the plot! The result being in many cases the customer was the loser, whilst some companies were re-established as 'Phoenix' businesses.

Unfortunately these past couple of decades have seen a sad decline in peoples morals......I dont think for one minute my builder would have lost a single nights sleep over the situation he left me and my wife in!! Sad as it is, it seems that, with some exceptions, customer care and satisfaction are just not to the same levels as they previously were in most services and industies, hence my comment about customers being far more satisfied a few years back.

Obviously all this is just my opinion and what the hell do I know!!!

Regards,

Pav ........ Aka Victor Meldrew

Edited by Pav

Sounds like you had an horrific time, and I mean it when I say I am sorry for your losses.

We did a lot of research to find the right people and I am still very hopeful it will all turn out OK, better than actually.

You do right in making people aware they can loose money, sometimes it takes a real push to take off thse rose tinted specs.

In all walks of life there are rogues and I should know I work for Victim Support.

Morals overall are lacking and disrespect is rife.

You are more than likely right about your builders sleep patterns.

Were we not so politically correct a rogues gallery forum on here would certainly prove interesting.

Hi Ark Right,

Well i've given your suggestion some serious consideration but No.......... I really don't think I do want to lighten up! Neither do I suspect will any other person that has suffered financial loss to an unscrupulous boat builder.

What a glib comment you make. One which you would never have dreamt of making, had you been on the receiving end of things!! I, like Alan, am interested to know if you are connected to the industry in some way? Sounds as though you very well may be.

On another point you make. In general people don't like to admit they have been 'Stuffed', and so a lot more horror stories of peoples experiances about their new boat builds, and of being ripped off, remain untold. This is most likely why you mainly hear of the good experiances. I on the other hand personally know of instances where people, including some members of this forum, have lost vast sums of money, and in one case even their boat, and yet they have chosen not to 'Go Public'. I only know because these people were aware of what I had gone through with Marmaduke, and contacted me to ask what advice I could offer to them! Without exception each asked me not to reveal their stories. I have respected their wishes, but personally I do wish they would 'Go Public' as I myself did, which would hopefully help to make others aware of the rogues that lurk out there and that pitfalls do exist.

I have always said that yes, good builders do exist, but unfortunately they are the minority. I also think that owners of boats which were ordered and built for them, say 6 or more years ago, did have a far more satisfactory experiance and so are happy to relate this. I think the rot started to set in about four or five years ago when new companies started to set up on a shoestring, quickly discovered they were in the shit financially and so began to cut corners, before going to the wall, causing customers to lose money and boats, seeing their dreams turn into nightmares!! Unfortunately I think the more reputable and established companies that were about, also suffered because of this, by losing orders etc. and in attempt to compete, they lowered their own business ethics and also lost the plot! The result being in many cases the customer was the loser, whilst some companies were re-established as 'Phoenix' businesses.

Unfortunately these past couple of decades have seen a sad decline in peoples morals......I dont think for one minute my builder would have lost a single nights sleep over the situation he left me and my wife in!! Sad as it is, it seems that, with some exceptions, customer care and satisfaction are just not to the same levels as they previously were in most services and industies, hence my comment about customers being far more satisfied a few years back.

Obviously all this is just my opinion and what the hell do I know!!!

Regards,

Pav ........ Aka Victor Meldrew

Just ask anyone who is trying to sell you their boat, they will tell you its all perfect :lol::lol::lol: (couldn't find rose tinted)

I for one will be interested to hear from Mr Ark Right again following Pav's response.

At this late stage may I offer my wishes to Mr & Mrs Pav for the future.

Martyn

Hi Martyn,

Thanks for your good wishes.

Wifey and myself do appreciate all the kind words of support we have received from members on here since Severn Valley went bump and things went belly up for us!Thanks to you all.

I am sorry for harping on about things in one way, but not in another, especially if from our own experiances, others may be prevented from suffering the same fate that befell us.

Regards,

Victor .... Sorry I mean Pav!!

My personal opinion is that, this being November already, you are not going to find a used boat that is worth your money and that you are happy with. You can trust to luck and try it, but you're going to sink a lot of hassle and money into winding up right back where you started.

It's only 6 weeks.

add to this statement "to the specification required and with no problems during the warranty period" and then name the boat builder!

add to this statement "to the specification required and with no problems during the warranty period" and then name the boat builder!

In view of your trenchant and gloomy opinion of boat builders, I find the name of your boat faintly ironic. Did you, or the builder, name it?

I think the definition of a good builder is one that not necessarily delivers on time, but one that accepts any major mistakes and problems that may (and usually do) pop up - and then puts it right without quibble. I would accept a late delivery if it meant that the boat was built carefully.

"to the specification required" - yes

"no problems during the warrantee period" - yes of course some things went wrong during the warrantee period. In fact several of them went wrong on our maiden voyage which was frankly dreadful. But the measure is whether or not the boatbuilder fixed them promptly, properly, and without argument. On that basis - yes.

But then, that was 18 years ago, although we still visit Stoke on Trent Boatbuilding whenever we are passing by that way and have no reason to think things are any different now.

"to the specification required" - yes

"no problems during the warrantee period" - yes of course some things went wrong during the warrantee period. In fact several of them went wrong on our maiden voyage which was frankly dreadful. But the measure is whether or not the boatbuilder fixed them promptly, properly, and without argument. On that basis - yes.

But then, that was 18 years ago, although we still visit Stoke on Trent Boatbuilding whenever we are passing by that way and have no reason to think things are any different now.

Would it not be beneficial to members of the forum, if people like yourselves, announced positive feedback regarding their overall experience derived

from buying their boat. Surely this will aid future prospective purchasers in deciding where to part with their hard earned cash!

Conversely, should a member encounter shoddy service, or, as 'Pav' did, be totally ripped off by their boat builder, wouldn't it be enlightening for us all to be advised of this for future reference.

After all, there's a thread on 'Best Waterside Pubs', why not best boatbuilders?

Mike

Because Island Plastics, Seamaster, and Fairey no longer exist

Coat!

Hi Fuzzy

Seamaster still exist they were taken over by Viking. Some of the Seamaster range is now being built by Viking still under Seamaster logo, and I think to the original Seamaster hull specs.

See previous post - certainly not a Hudson except for any owned by PJ

So easy to cause a stir with you Tuppaware owners :lol:

How do you define a real boat?

Take it easy Phylis, you missed the "oooops I was only joking" sentiment! :lol:

Is a Hudson a 'real' boat? discuss.........................................................................

.......................... and yes I can catch bullets in my teeth.

Put it this way, I've lost count of how many GRP boats I've seen reported as sunk, due to holes in their hulls.

But, as in all walks of life, one man's meat etc., etc.,

Keith,

I imagine you've chosen well on both suppliers. As long as they've provided what you'd asked for at a quallity level proportionate

to cost, you can be happy with the end result.

In our case, we met the boatbuilder at Crick then followed that up with a visit to his boatyard on their open day. There, we could see boats at various stages of build and meet numerous happy customers, who took the trouble to sail their boats to the yard for the occasion.

Although our builder was rigid in his traditional ways and techniques, we both felt comfortable that his business was run efficiently and his employees were seasoned craftsmen who were well mannered and respectful. That extra time spent investigating our final choice of boatbuilder was well worth the effort.

At no time have we been given false promises regarding build times or schedules, nor has there been hidden charges, everything was transparent.

I can only sympathise with people who've been ripped off or short changed by unscrupulous boatbuilders, it surely is a crime to shatter

honest peoples dreams!

Mike

P.S. The boatbuilder is SM Hudson of Tamworth.

Mike, as you know, I agree with you 100% ref your boat builder, I would not go anywhere else if I ever wanted another boat (I don't by the way so ours is not for sale!) I don't know if I dare say this but we had no contract between us, very unusual for me.

As you say, people must put that extra effort into searching out the right builder, very easy to be caught out.

all the best,

Guzziman

But will the Stockholder have paid for the steel?

I work for a steel stockholder and know how long they have to pay . :lol:

Hi, as you work for a steel stockholder, what's your opinion of the present day quality of steel?

We met a guy on the Shroppie who had recently bought a 'Sailaway' shell from a reputable

builder.

He complained that the quality of steel on his previous (Springer) boat was of superior quality

to that of his new boat.

Mike

Keith,

I imagine you've chosen well on both suppliers. As long as they've provided what you'd asked for at a quallity level proportionate

to cost, you can be happy with the end result.

In our case, we met the boatbuilder at Crick then followed that up with a visit to his boatyard on their open day. There, we could see boats at various stages of build and meet numerous happy customers, who took the trouble to sail their boats to the yard for the occasion.

Although our builder was rigid in his traditional ways and techniques, we both felt comfortable that his business was run efficiently and his employees were seasoned craftsmen who were well mannered and respectful. That extra time spent investigating our final choice of boatbuilder was well worth the effort.

At no time have we been given false promises regarding build times or schedules, nor has there been hidden charges, everything was transparent.

I can only sympathise with people who've been ripped off or short changed by unscrupulous boatbuilders, it surely is a crime to shatter

honest peoples dreams!

Mike

P.S. The boatbuilder is SM Hudson of Tamworth.

Mike, as you know, I agree with you 100% ref your boat builder, I would not go anywhere else if I ever wanted another boat (I don't by the way so ours is not for sale!) I don't know if I dare say this but we had no contract between us, very unusual for me.

As you say, people must put that extra effort into searching out the right builder, very easy to be caught out.

all the best,

Guzziman

Hi Kevin,

good to hear from you again!

Watch this thread for abuse Re: Tuppaware owners.

I only do it cos the telly's rubbish :lol:

You two take care!

Mike

Hi, as you work for a steel stockholder, what's your opinion of the present day quality of steel?

We met a guy on the Shroppie who had recently bought a 'Sailaway' shell from a reputable

builder.

He complained that the quality of steel on his previous (Springer) boat was of superior quality

to that of his new boat.

Mike

I would say that he was probably correct in his assumption.

Trouble today is that there is too much reliance on imported steel, of which some is of dubious quality. A lot of steel imported now has too much scrap recycled into it and not enough good quality NEW steel in it.

BOATS from the past had thinner hulls, 6-8mm was very common, but this steel was of far superior quality to the newer 10-12mm thick steel used in SOME boats today. I AM NOT saying that all of todays steel is poor, just SOME.

British Steel had a lot going for it, it was the best quality in the world.