Mercia Marina

Mandy

Featured Posts

I visited a couple up there over the summer, the Curzons on here, the marina is still quite new without substancial trees surrounding, but is below the surrounding countryside so would be quite sheltered. It is big, and has good facilities including dry dock. Planning has been approved for a pub/restaurant but no-one has stumped up the funds. It seems quite secure, automatic gates needing pass cards to access. There is an office, a cafe and some other facilities and quite a few residential boats.

Mercia Marina is a big place, that's true. However they've made it easier for boaters by having three facilities blocks around the site, so you don't have to walk miles to the bins, toilets, showers or laundrette. If you need to be particularly close to the main gates or main buildings, choose your mooring accordingly - not that tricky really! Most people just call into the shop, cafe or office on their way in or out.

There is loads of room for manouvering your boat and this is one of the best things about Mercia in my opinion. None of this "6 point turn surrounded by tupperware" nonsense that you get in some Marinas. The banks around the Marina are quite high so you're down in a dip when on your boat. This means you're shielded from the noise of the nearby roads and railways (transport links here are excellent) and also protected to a certain extent from the weather. It can be a bit choppy sometimes but the site has only just been planted out and we're still waiting for the windbreaks to grow up!

The road around the perimiter of the site has now been tarmacced (if that's a word?) and this is a massive improvement - it was very dusty and bumpy before, but no longer. The place is starting to fill up so there are more and more people around, which is good for both friendship and security.

The cafe is cosy and has nice cakes, the shop sells a good range of stuff (including boating bits and pieces), a full chandlery is currently being built, and the management team are very friendly. That's the second big plus point here - really nice people running the place, and no petty rules. The staff are approachable and it's run with common sense.

Those with Elsans tend to complain that the disposal point is right round the far side of the Marina (though at least the road is better now). However I think they're still working as though they were in a smaller Marina where getting your boat out would be tricky. Taking the boat across is by far the easiest option here and I don't know why more people don't do that. As mine is a pump out I have to take my boat anyway, and it's easy.

The main thing Mercia Marina lacks at the moment is somewhere to gather in the evenings. There are plans for a pub / restaurant and space set aside for it, but nothing has happened yet. Apparently the economic situation is to blame but I am surprised that no-one is speculating (normally the best way to make money is to go against the flow). It's a fantastic site with lovely views and brilliant transport links, there's a big captive market right here already, and plenty of non-boating visitors at the weekends too. If someone could succesfully set it up to cater to both markets - the 'social club' style atmosphere for the boaters, and something more exclusive and interesting for those coming in from outside, it would be a sure-fire winner. If I had any money to invest I'd be doing it myself.

I can only endorse Sociable Hermits words - everything here rubs along just fine - maintenance is top class with most failures sorted within hours - the management team are really proactive. I overheard talk in Mickleover that the locals are very happy with our presence. The local police neighbourhood team recognise us and give a very supportive presence here - Mercia it's the business cheers Bill and Denise

Edited by curzons246

Not lived there, but we where there with the boat for a week and it wasnt bad at all.

- Certainly its its a big development and very new, but if thats your thing, it seams to have been done very nicely so long many it be a success.

Daniel

Well con no.1 - your not allowed to live aboard. (Though you can occupy 11 months of the year)

Oh well, that is definitely a downside, although being out for a month a year wouldn't be any great hardship. But does that mean you can't get your post delivered there? I have heard from others that you can and that they have no problem living there?

Hi Mandy,

its steve & Lindsay here at Mercia.

Yes?....

Oh well, that is definitely a downside, although being out for a month a year wouldn't be any great hardship. But does that mean you can't get your post delivered there? I have heard from others that you can and that they have no problem living there?

Yes?....

We have put a deposite down for Mercia.We were told that post can be delivered and picked up from the shop..

We have put a deposite down for Mercia.We were told that post can be delivered and picked up from the shop..

Maybe someone can explain this one to me. I hav heared that you "can't live aboard" and yet hear many stories of people manageing to live aboard and either going out at times/or leaving the mooring for x number of days.

I have a residential mooring but its quite isolated and at times I miss having other people around me, Mr and Mrs Jinks are delightful company but only come down for about a day a week so we are oftne alone for days on end.

I think sometimes I might enjoy a bit more people around. HOw would one get around that or do I stay where I am and just keep on talking on this forum.

Maybe someone can explain this one to me. I hav heared that you "can't live aboard" and yet hear many stories of people manageing to live aboard and either going out at times/or leaving the mooring for x number of days.

I have a residential mooring but its quite isolated and at times I miss having other people around me, Mr and Mrs Jinks are delightful company but only come down for about a day a week so we are oftne alone for days on end.

I think sometimes I might enjoy a bit more people around. HOw would one get around that or do I stay where I am and just keep on talking on this forum.

Have you read the BW mooring consultation? It does explain about the different types of mooring. Some places turn a blind eye especially if you take the boat out often.

Sue

Have you read the BW mooring consultation? It does explain about the different types of mooring. Some places turn a blind eye especially if you take the boat out often.

Sue

Thanks I will have a go at reading it.

Mandy (and Kiki) -

The vast majority of Marinas I have been to don't have residential moorings, at least in theory. This seems to be largely a Planning issue because the whole concept of living aboard doesn't fit into planning regulations at all well, and Planning Officers will often either refuse permission or insist on all sorts of daft rules being applied, even though they aren't necessary.

Like the vast majority of Marinas, there are no liveaboards here. However some people seem to be on their boats a lot more than others... for exactly how many weeks a year, I couldn't say. As I've mentioned before the managerial approach at Mercia is very pragmatic. It's all a question of phrasing your questions correctly, and that's by no means unusual in the boating world.

The postal deliveries are a good example. Martin who runs the shop at the Marina also runs the Post Office in the village. But don't get mail sent directly to the Marina office as it will be returned as undeliverable, because that's what they have to do. Make sense?

Mandy (and Kiki) -

The vast majority of Marinas I have been to don't have residential moorings, at least in theory. This seems to be largely a Planning issue because the whole concept of living aboard doesn't fit into planning regulations at all well, and Planning Officers will often either refuse permission or insist on all sorts of daft rules being applied, even though they aren't necessary.

Like the vast majority of Marinas, there are no liveaboards here. However some people seem to be on their boats a lot more than others... for exactly how many weeks a year, I couldn't say. As I've mentioned before the managerial approach at Mercia is very pragmatic. It's all a question of phrasing your questions correctly, and that's by no means unusual in the boating world.

The postal deliveries are a good example. Martin who runs the shop at the Marina also runs the Post Office in the village. But don't get mail sent directly to the Marina office as it will be returned as undeliverable, because that's what they have to do. Make sense?

Thanks for the helpful advice. I undersand that is usually a case of going out now and again. I was interested in the BW report which I laboured over during my lunch break, only 12% of boaters live aboard with no other address but 1 in 5 use the boat as thier home (like us, we have a flat but rent it out and liveon the boat) that adds up to just short of 7,000 liveaboards trying to find a mooring, or hanging onto thier mooring with their teeth, doesn;t seem to make sense not to open more residential moorings really. All you ever get is the same answer "we dont take residential" - Mercia was one that we looked at as an alternative.

How would one word an enquiry - "what do I have to do to fulfil your requirements as a long term leisure mooring"?sort of thing. As I say I do have a fully residential mooring so should be thankful, its just very quiet and isolated, and I have started talking back to myself....

Thanks for the helpful advice. I undersand that is usually a case of going out now and again. I was interested in the BW report which I laboured over during my lunch break, only 12% of boaters live aboard with no other address but 1 in 5 use the boat as thier home (like us, we have a flat but rent it out and liveon the boat) that adds up to just short of 7,000 liveaboards trying to find a mooring, or hanging onto thier mooring with their teeth, doesn;t seem to make sense not to open more residential moorings really. All you ever get is the same answer "we dont take residential" - Mercia was one that we looked at as an alternative.

How would one word an enquiry - "what do I have to do to fulfil your requirements as a long term leisure mooring"?sort of thing. As I say I do have a fully residential mooring so should be thankful, its just very quiet and isolated, and I have started talking back to myself....

I think also there's one or two cans of worms regarding the residential status of some existing marinas' mooorings. If a bright light is shone there could be uncomfortable questions about planning permission, council tax payments, tv licenses etc. I may be wrong but I get the impression its the difficulty in obtaining the planning permission that put off most prospective marina owners from going the residential route, that and the thought of having to deal with sitting tennants ?

The problem with Mercia are the planning conditions. It was initially going to be 28 days max occupation but after alot of argument and negotiation with the planners, it was agreed this was unreasonably restrictive.

If people are 'living' there it might be wise to not broadcast the fact.

Your mooring sounds fantastic - quiet and isolated with not many people visiting! Where is it? Fancy a swap with Barton Marina?!

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here, and which is a huge selling point of the marina, is the proximity to the village of Willington itself. This is only a 10 minute walk away - Two pubs (used to be 3 but one has closed recently), Doctor's Surgery, Chemist, Co-op, florist, Post Office, Vets, Hairdresses, Hardware shop, Train Station, Bus routes to Derby or Burton and a not forgetting the Takeaway - plus a traditional sweet shop often frequented by my kids! We've loved living in the village for the last 10 years and will miss it when we move further afield. A lot of moorers have told me how much the local facilities played a key role in their decision to move to Mercia, and of course the villagers have warmly welcomed the additional custom that the Marina has generated too.

Justin.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here, and which is a huge selling point of the marina, is the proximity to the village of Willington itself. This is only a 10 minute walk away - Two pubs (used to be 3 but one has closed recently), Doctor's Surgery, Chemist, Co-op, florist, Post Office, Vets, Hairdresses, Hardware shop, Train Station, Bus routes to Derby or Burton and a not forgetting the Takeaway - plus a traditional sweet shop often frequented by my kids! We've loved living in the village for the last 10 years and will miss it when we move further afield. A lot of moorers have told me how much the local facilities played a key role in their decision to move to Mercia, and of course the villagers have warmly welcomed the additional custom that the Marina has generated too.

Yes, the location is spot on.

- Your also only about 5mins of the a50 if you drive.

Daniel

At Mercia you have to have you rpost redirected to the local post office and the man from the shop at the Marina will collect it for you for £5 per month. We don't live there but went into it in detail when we were looking for a marina. Have now found a residential marina on the T&M with post deliveries.