towing a grp cruiser

normanmarshman

Featured Posts

It all depends on what yr towing it with but more importantly how long a rope/ine etc

if on short cross straps no need to steer it will follow you,,,

on a longer line a streers person is probably a good idea.. a person with a paddle or oar would seem a sensible thing

sugest some experimentation on best length of line.. but a slow steady pace is also sensible to reduce issues

Just use cross straps, you shouldn't have any problems.

This is formed using two short-ish ropes. Both start on the T stud of the cruiser and end up on the T stud either side of the tiller on a narrowboat, crossing over just above the stem post on the boat being towed.

Not the best example to use but you can get an idea from this picture...

gloss17.jpg

Edited by Liam

Just use cross straps, you shouldn't have any problems.

This is formed using two short-ish ropes. Both start on the T stud of the cruiser and end up on the T stud either side of the tiller on a narrowboat, crossing over just above the stem post on the boat being towed.

Not the best example to use but you can get an idea from this picture...

gloss17.jpg

I have often wondered how cross straps work, but this picture makes it obvious. Yer lives and learns, as they say.

Here's another picture, taken looking back in Crick Tunnel, where I used the towed boats conveniently-placed fende eyes to spread the cross-straps further. This worked brilliantly. Cross-straps will work whatever the towed boat is made from - steel, wood, grp, or anything else.

BB039r.jpg

The length of the straps is important. If they are too long, the whole affair is too flexible and the towed boat will 'cut the corners' behind you and run aground on the inside of corners. If they are too short the whole combination is too stiff and the towed boat will be flung outwards on the corners so that its stern runs aground on the outside of the bend.

Edited to include the picture this time. D'oh!

Edited by Keeping Up

Cheers, it reminds me of those "A" frames that can be used to tow a car witout the need of a steerer in the towed car. Presumably the cross straps stop the bow wandering from side to side, as usually happens with a single rope?

Cheers, it reminds me of those "A" frames that can be used to tow a car witout the need of a steerer in the towed car. Presumably the cross straps stop the bow wandering from side to side, as usually happens with a single rope?

Yes indeed. Not only that, if the towed boat is not in a straight line behind the towing boat, one strap will become tighter than the other and will pull it back straight again. The length of the strap determines how sharply the towed boat gets straightened up, which is why it can be fine-tuned to make it follow you precisely round a corner.

Incidentally that picture of mine reminds me how I just love towing through a tunnel. The best bit is the look on the face of the steerer of the boat coming the other way, when he suddenly realises that you are towing and that he's somehow got to keep tight up against the tunnel wall for another 70 feet after passing your stern.

Hi All

If a grp cruiser were to be towed, and given that an outboard generally has no rudder, what would one typically use ? A rowing boat oar, or something more substantial / purpose-made ?

Thanks John :lol:

You could use a 4x4 and the M6! gets rid of all those rope things.

Yes indeed. Not only that, if the towed boat is not in a straight line behind the towing boat, one strap will become tighter than the other and will pull it back straight again. The length of the strap determines how sharply the towed boat gets straightened up, which is why it can be fine-tuned to make it follow you precisely round a corner.

In tight corners one of the cross straps can become so slack that it slips over the stem post. Keeping Up's ingenious use of fender eyes will prevent this happening.

Usually you can stand on the slack cross strap, thus shortening it and bringing the towed boat back in line. If, as in the pic., the stem of the butty has gone over too far, you can bring it back by standing on the taught cross strap.

However, our butty has a clever peg on its stem post which stops the cross straps from riding over.

BTW, is the peg a usual feature on a butty? I don't seem to remember seeing many of them, but perhaps I'm just being unobservant

IMG_3559.jpg

Edited by koukouvagia

Many thanks Gents, solution c/w illustrations !

Pip pip

JM :lol:

Don't forget to have some form of sea anchor tied from the stern as this will keep the towline tight. A small bucket, or even a small log, on a rope would be OK for a grp cruiser.

It might be worth considering distributing the load from the cleat at the front of the boat- as in, any rope you use being led back over the deck to more cleats further aft, to distribute the load over several of them, not just one.

I've seen a few articles on towing in Practical Boat Owner and the like, and they all suggest distributing the load over several cleats, especially if there's a sudden shock load. Yes, canals are hardly the high seas with waves and other things that impose shock loads, but it might be better to be safe than sorry!

It is a good idea to spread the load around on the GRP boats cleats. Depending on the boat manufacturer some are a little prone to stress cracking around the cleats.

We have found it much easier to tow cruisers breasted up if space permits.