Can Anyone Help

Doorman

Featured Posts

One of our friends has recently bought an unusual narrow boat named Frederick II, Which was built by Roger Fuller in 1991 and modelled on a working tug boat.

The vessel is powered by a 6 cylinder Gardner diesel engine which is capable of 150hp, it also has a hydraulic bow thruster and a double swim to the stern. From an engineering perspective, it is far superior to your average modern narrow boat, along with an interior fit-out which is full of character.

Can any of you experts out there throw some light as to its history, together with any evidence of what boat it was modelled on? The new owner would be much obliged for any relevant

information.

Mike

Hope you don't mind me asking but is the new owner a bloke called Julian?

No probs, it's Tony. An ex-seaman with an eye for a bargain!

P.S. Love that boat 'Ariel'

Edited by Doorman

One of our friends has recently bought an unusual narrow boat named Frederick II, Which was built by Roger Fuller in 1991 and modelled on a working tug boat.

The vessel is powered by a 6 cylinder Gardner diesel engine which is capable of 150hp, it also has a hydraulic bow thruster and a double swim to the stern. From an engineering perspective, it is far superior to your average modern narrow boat, along with an interior fit-out which is full of character.

Can any of you experts out there throw some light as to its history, together with any evidence of what boat it was modelled on? The new owner would be much obliged for any relevant

information.

Mike

Is the engine a Lister FR6? Was the boat previously called Hector?

Edit. Sorry, missed the fact it is a Gardner. What Gardner?

Edited by Dominic M

I'll find out when I see him again on Friday!

It's a narrow beam boat modeled on a wide beam river/estuary tug named Frederick. Used to see it in the Nottingham area. I believe the first owner now has the historic icebreaker tug, 'Sharpness'.

Waterways World did a small feature on the boat when it was originally launched.

Cheers!

That info will please him. The previous owner had the boat moored on the Trent at Long Eaton.

Not everyones 'cup of tea', but personally, I think it's a stunner.

Thanks again,

Mike

It's been taken off Apolloduck now but here's the write up, courtesy of Google's cache..

1991 Roger Fuller 56' river / canal tug interesting shape based on Yarwoods built Thames tug and Bantock motor.

Gardner 150 engine driving prm 601 2-1 marine gear ,28-23 4 blade propeller.

Engine driven hydraulic bow thruster.

Folding wheel house with hydraulic wheel steering. cross double bed in bow complete with cupboards and storage space, heads complete with wash hand basin pump out toilet and Taylors diesel heater.

Galley complete with gas 4 burner stove grill and oven, 12v Shoreline fridge, 240v dryer, 240v washing machine, s/s sink and drainer, Aldi gas boiler for central heating and hot water via calorifier plus imerson heater.

Permanent dinette with storage under, Lockgate morse diesel heater.

Internal fit out using ash tonge & groove board, beach work surfaces and oak cupboards

Rear snug complete television shelf and Wilson sofa bed.

Electrics via Master volt combi 2kw invertor / charger and 90amp master volt alternator and 240v shore line connection via isolating transformer.

Boat safety expires 2010, blacked March 09

Here's a pic... not sure if it will load and if so for how long it will stay here now the boat has been sold...

preview_118245_1.jpg

It's been taken off Apolloduck now but here's the write up, courtesy of Google's cache..

1991 Roger Fuller 56' river / canal tug interesting shape based on Yarwoods built Thames tug and Bantock motor.

Folding wheel house with hydraulic wheel steering. cross double bed in bow complete with cupboards and storage space, heads complete with wash hand basin pump out toilet and Taylors diesel heater.

Galley complete with gas 4 burner stove grill and oven, 12v Shoreline fridge, 240v dryer, 240v washing machine, s/s sink and drainer, Aldi gas boiler for central heating and hot water via calorifier plus imerson heater.

Internal fit out using ash tonge & groove board, beach work surfaces and oak cupboards

Electrics via Master volt combi 2kw invertor / charger and 90amp master volt alternator and 240v shore line connection via isolating transformer.

Here's a pic... not sure if it will load and if so for how long it will stay here now the boat has been sold...

Spot on! :lol:

preview_118245_1.jpg

preview_118245_1.jpg

Very nice.

I'll find out when I see him again on Friday!

Cheers!

That info will please him. The previous owner had the boat moored on the Trent at Long Eaton.

Not everyones 'cup of tea', but personally, I think it's a stunner.

Thanks again,

Mike

Fascinating boat. An engine that size needs to be on the rivers I think. Way overpowered for the canals and probably will struggle to reach operating temp. However, if it passes by me I'd love to see it. Coffee or tea on the house! I was involved in selling Hector, a Roger F which had a whacking great Lister FR6 in it. Beautiful craft; crazy engine!

Fascinating boat. An engine that size needs to be on the rivers I think. Way overpowered for the canals and probably will struggle to reach operating temp. However, if it passes by me I'd love to see it. Coffee or tea on the house! I was involved in selling Hector, a Roger F which had a whacking great Lister FR6 in it. Beautiful craft; crazy engine!

I think you're right! First stop, the river Weaver.

It'll never get out of first gear up here on the L&L canal.

preview_118245_1.jpg

:lol:

bantock Motor?

information.

Mike

The vessel was built by Roger Fuller and commissioned by Colin Paillin who now owns the tug Sharpness.

Brefore Frederick II he had two boats - a rather nice narrow tug called Emerald based on a Bantock narrow boat and a wide beam ex-PLA tug called Frederick Whittingham (old picture here.)

Both were for sale within the last year, Emerald at Whilton and Frederick Whittingham at Watford.

Colin takes Sharpness to lots of rallies and I am sure would let your friend have more info.

Paul H

Fred II was a compromise between the two!

• One of our friends has recently bought an unusual narrow boat named Frederick II, Which was built by Roger Fuller in 1991 and modelled on a working tug boat.

information.

Mike

I find the question a bit surprising, as the vessel came through here a few days ago being delivered by the previous owner who I'm sure would have been happy to give that information :lol:

Apparently 'as built' it had a 4LK Gardner which would have been a bit more appropriate, a 6LX as I believe the current engine to be is serious overkill, I couldn't get the reason for changing in the five minutes before they rumbled into the tunnel. The original Frederick Whittingham has a 6L2 Gardner, the original engine from 1930something, but that's 'only' about 70 bhp. It's a lovely little boat although with space limitations as a cruising boat, somehow my brief encounter with the 'new' one (I happened to see it passing through Sawley at the start of the delivery trip as well as through Dutton) left me a bit cold.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

I wonder what the slowest it can go is, assuming not taken out of gear ?

It may be OK on big rivers, but totally "Upminster" on most canals, surely ?

Yes, I agree, but Tony's bigger than me (so is his missus) and once he'd made his mind up Freddy was his!

I'm sure he'll find a suitable playground for his new 'home', in the meantime, you can't wipe the smile from off of his face :lol:

[*]

I find the question a bit surprising, as the vessel came through here a few days ago being delivered by the previous owner who I'm sure would have been happy to give that information :lol:

Apparently 'as built' it had a 4LK Gardner which would have been a bit more appropriate, a 6LX as I believe the current engine to be is serious overkill, I couldn't get the reason for changing in the five minutes before they rumbled into the tunnel. The original Frederick Whittingham has a 6L2 Gardner, the original engine from 1930something, but that's 'only' about 70 bhp. It's a lovely little boat although with space limitations as a cruising boat, somehow my brief encounter with the 'new' one (I happened to see it passing through Sawley at the start of the delivery trip as well as through Dutton) left me a bit cold.

Tim

Thanks Tim,

The previous owner was happy to divulge some history about his "home for the past 10 years", but having sailed for the last three days from its mooring in

Long Eaton, he and his partner plus two friends, were keen to drive back to their new home so he didn't have much time for a detailed chat. He seemed reluctant

to let Freddy go!

Frederick II would appear to be an enthusiast's type of craft. I simply admire the engineering detail which is much in evidence throughout the boat.

Mike

Apparently a 6LX, according to the info from Tim's post further on the subject.

I wonder what the slowest it can go is, assuming not taken out of gear ?

It may be OK on big rivers, but totally "Upminster" on most canals, surely ?

Can't see why slow should be a problem really. If the engine will run at a slow speed then it will travel slowly. The engine size shouldn't make any difference.

Richard

Can't see why slow should be a problem really. If the engine will run at a slow speed then it will travel slowly. The engine size shouldn't make any difference.

Richard

It has a 28" x 23" four-blade propeller, and only a 2:1 reduction.

I suspect it might easily reach the permitted 4mph maximum on a canal in tick-over, but would be happy to be told I am wrong.

Richard

We're sailing it this Friday for the first time. I'll post the result and photograph any evidence of uprooted canal side trees, untethered boats etc., :lol:

Local helicopter police will be on standby!

It has a 28" x 23" four-blade propeller, and only a 2:1 reduction.

I suspect it might easily reach the permitted 4mph maximum on a canal in tick-over, but would be happy to be told I am wrong.

It will depend on what the tickover is set to. I doubt if it would do 4 mph at tick over. More pertinent is whether it can go slow enough to pass moored boats/in shallow water, without having to knock it out of gear every so often.