Lockgate Refleks - instructions / tips to light ?

Nickhlx

Featured Posts

2 ways to lite

first one using a little meths in the pot

turn diesel on,turn the regulator knob to around 4,click the lever on the regulator down(you`ll hear it click),open lid tip a small amount of meths in around about an egg cup full,,then drop a match in to it

oops

2nd way is as above but instead of meths break up a fire lighter about a quarter of one ie crumble it in the pot light a small piece of fire lighter and drop it in

PS if using meths keep face away from top when the match goes in as eye brows tend to disappear

Edited by denboy

2 ways to lite

first one using a little meths in the pot

turn diesel on,turn the regulator knob to around 4,click the lever on the regulator down(you`ll hear it click),open lid tip a small amount of meths in around about an egg cup full,,then drop a match in to it

oops

2nd way is as above but instead of meths break up a fire lighter about a quarter of one ie crumble it in the pot light a small piece of fire lighter and drop it in

PS if using meths keep face away from top when the match goes in as eye brows tend to disappear

Great - many thanks for that - I will give it a try tomorrow..... Are they reckoned to be good stoves - from a user's point of view ? :lol:

Nick

Can anyone point me to a link where I might be able to download a user manual for the above,

and are there any hints / tips on using it ? There doesn't seem to be anything on the Website.

Thanks,

Nick

There's no need to faff around with meths etc. Just turn on the diesel until there's a small pool accumulating in the bottom and then chuck in a piece of lighted paper.

BTW I recommend the green tablets which Lockgates supplies for cleaning the stove and the flue. I've no idea how they work, but they're very effective.

Here's the manual:

Click

There's no need to faff around with meths etc. Just turn on the diesel until there's a small pool accumulating in the bottom and then chuck in a piece of lighted paper.

BTW I recommend the green tablets which Lockgates supplies for cleaning the stove and the flue. I've no idea how they work, but they're very effective.

Here's the manual:

Click

Many thanks for that - just what I was after

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

We have a Lockgate stove and have devised a handy tool to help remove the inner cage,put the fire lighter in the pool of diesel and replace the cage.

I was wondering if this was any interest to other boaters?

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy,

Yes please, I would be interested

Nick

They are great stoves, very reliable because they have so few moving parts. They do take a bit of learning at first. I always light mine with meths. I use about a teacup full. As already said, keep your eyebrows well back when you throw the match in.

Every few months I give the insides a good scrape and then a hoover out. If the inside is beginning to get a bit caked you might need to give the L shaped bar a wiggle and a push before lighting, it breaks away any carbon crust that may have formed around the oil inlet.

Not sure if it is just mine, but I find turning it up anything beyond about halfway just makes lots of smoke with no more heat. I guess they all have an optimum setting beyond which the air cannot get in quick enough for a clean burn.

And keep a supply of oven cleaner handy to clean the inside of the window, the flickering glow is very aesthetic.

==========================================================================

"BTW I recommend the green tablets which Lockgates supplies for cleaning the stove and the flue. I've no idea how they work, but they're very effective."

Any more info on there? Where do you get them? Cant find anything on the Lockgate website.

Edited by WJM

They are great stoves, very reliable because they have so few moving parts. They do take a bit of learning at first. I always light mine with meths. I use about a teacup full. As already said, keep your eyebrows well back when you throw the match in.

Every few months I give the insides a good scrape and then a hoover out. If the inside is beginning to get a bit caked you might need to give the L shaped bar a wiggle and a push before lighting, it breaks away any carbon crust that may have formed around the oil inlet.

Not sure if it is just mine, but I find turning it up anything beyond about halfway just makes lots of smoke with no more heat. I guess they all have an optimum setting beyond which the air cannot get in quick enough for a clean burn.

And keep a supply of oven cleaner handy to clean the inside of the window, the flickering glow is very aesthetic.

"BTW I recommend the green tablets which Lockgates supplies for cleaning the stove and the flue. I've no idea how they work, but they're very effective."

Any more info on there? Where do you get them? Cant find anything on the Lockgate website.

Thanks for the info - sounds as if there should be a Lockgate worshippers forum or fan club :lol: :lol: :lol:

I will keep an eye out for the green tablets and get some meths in for the lighting.

This sounds like I made a lucky choice of stove - definitely all luck and no judgement !

Thanks,

Nick

We light our Esse like that - with a crumb of firelighter, small enough to fit down the lighting port, stuck on the end (kebab style) of a piece of copper earth wire from some house-stylee T+E.

It was supposed to come with a taper thing, like a spongy bit on the end of a metal rod, which you dipped in the oil, lit and put back...

PC

about 3 inches from the bottom of burner pot there is a ring of holes in the small recess they may need cleaning out (using a 1/8 drill bit works well )have had to do this twice in 5 years

Agreed they are good stoves - when lighting with meths be careful if you have to re-light them. Allow at least 30 mins for unit to cool (manufacturers state 20 mins). If meths is added when stove is warm it vapourises and lighting can then be very dangerous.

Leo.

"be careful if you have to re-light them. Allow at least 30 mins for unit to cool"

Wise advice, though I have cheated this one a few times due to extreme cold! A very small amount of meths second time around, poured in with your face well away during the pour, and then throw the match much in the style of a commando throwing a grenade, prone and braced.

A further point for meths users. I buy my meths in bulk containers but I don't involve the big containers directly in the lighting process. I keep the big container in the gas locker and decant small quantities into a small bottle. That way, if something does go wrong during the lighting process I am dealing with a much smaller quantity of 'explosive'. You make your own luck!

============================================================

"about 3 inches from the bottom of burner pot there is a ring of holes in the small recess they may need cleaning out (using a 1/8 drill bit works well )have had to do this twice in 5 years"

Thanks for that, I will give it a go. Though mine may be a case of calibration of the control knob, at half power the boat is almost a mobile sauna, i dont actually need more heat!

Edited by WJM

Never having had anything more luxurious than a "Guidwife" stove in a tiny cabin, I was intrigued by this topic and looked up the Lockgate's advertisment on the internet. I was surprised to read that the makers apparently are unsure of the materials which they use when constructing these devices.

The advert for their 2062 series quite clearly states "CONSTRUCTED ENTIRELY OF STAINLESS STEEL FOR LONG LIFE" etc. Further down under Lockgate-Refleks 2062 Series Features, it also clearly states "STAINLESS STEEL, BRASS OR COPPER (SOLID METAL FINISH - NOT COATING)" and "CAST IRON HOTPLATE ON MK VERSION". As a stove is an item to help create comfort the choice of which also involves some reasonable safety aspects, is it not reasonable also to view any of the features claimed by the makers, including 'how to light it safely' with some degree of scepticism ? I may not have taken English at university, but I am farly confident that I understand the meaning of the word 'ENTIRELY'.

Never having had anything more luxurious than a "Guidwife" stove in a tiny cabin, I was intrigued by this topic and looked up the Lockgate's advertisment on the internet. I was surprised to read that the makers apparently are unsure of the materials which they use when constructing these devices.

The advert for their 2062 series quite clearly states "CONSTRUCTED ENTIRELY OF STAINLESS STEEL FOR LONG LIFE" etc. Further down under Lockgate-Refleks 2062 Series Features, it also clearly states "STAINLESS STEEL, BRASS OR COPPER (SOLID METAL FINISH - NOT COATING)" and "CAST IRON HOTPLATE ON MK VERSION". As a stove is an item to help create comfort the choice of which also involves some reasonable safety aspects, is it not reasonable also to view any of the features claimed by the makers, including 'how to light it safely' with some degree of scepticism ? I may not have taken English at university, but I am farly confident that I understand the meaning of the word 'ENTIRELY'.

The casing is usually stainless but if you want are available in brass or copper,

If they are like my Kabola, they are very dependant on flue length to get to maximum quoted output. The longer the better, but unfortunately that doesn't work too well on a boat!

Mike

I've recently installed a Lockgate and following your good instructions have had it burning quite happily for the last couple of nights.

The flames never seem to be anything but orange and if I remember my GCSE chemistry this means that it is the cooler, sootier flame. Is this normal for these fires?

Also, I can see the ring of holes that is mentioned above, what is the purpose of these since the flames never seem to go anywhere near them.

I've recently installed a Lockgate and following your good instructions have had it burning quite happily for the last couple of nights.

The flames never seem to be anything but orange and if I remember my GCSE chemistry this means that it is the cooler, sootier flame. Is this normal for these fires?

Also, I can see the ring of holes that is mentioned above, what is the purpose of these since the flames never seem to go anywhere near them.

if its burning orange it is burning wrong which will cause it to soot up very quickly,the holes are the low air intake vents for the burner to burn correctly,from your description it would seem to me the holes are sooted up and need cleaning out,i have a pdf picture showing the hole positions but cant figure out how to post it here doh,the holes you can see are the high vent air inlets ,the ones that need cleaning are in a recess and are very hard to see

Edited by denboy