Earning a living while cruising

westjes

Featured Posts

We have plans to live afloat and, while I'm sure we could occupy ourselves quite happily for a year or so without "jobs", I'm thinking we'll eventually need to do something or other, either to earn money or keep us out of mischief. Does anyone have experience of working whilst cruising, is it feasible or does the lack of fixed address prevent this? For example, I was thinking of signing up with temp agencies - for secretarial or conveyancing work (yeah, well, somebody's got to do it) and my partner Ian, having more exciting skills, being an artist, was thinking he could do lovely paintings of boats/people on their boats/boats and swans, I dunno, that sort of thing, all very tasteful!

Anyway, it would be good to hear from anyone, who's managed to combine the two, or about any particular problems etc.

Cheers

Pat

Unfortunately for me, work is during the week for me, and boating is at the weekends.

I suppose you could move from town to town or county to county etc.

Leaning back to the previous post of CC's and BH's, you have to ask yourself, how long will you be in the temp job for, and where are you going to moor for the time being? Most of the jobs are in towns, and you'd mostly outstay your welcome if you were temping for around 3 months or so.

Working actually 'on' the boat is a different thing all together. I've got a friend who sells traditionally painted canalware off the top of the boat and they need a commercial license (Bridgwater canal though). Most of the things you can do on the side are seasonal. Working boats sell very little, if any coal during the summer period and I don't think you'd make much money on painted canalware in the middle of Jan or Feb when nobody is about.

But anyway, if you find a temp job, there's nothing wrong with you getting a short term mooring and working there for however long, and then moving on to the next job. It'd be a nice to be able to cruise and work as you go along. Bet you wouldn't get bored!

Hope you find your solution. Best of luck :lol:

We have plans to live afloat and, while I'm sure we could occupy ourselves quite happily for a year or so without "jobs", I'm thinking we'll eventually need to do something or other, either to earn money or keep us out of mischief.  Does anyone have experience of working whilst cruising, is it feasible or does the lack of fixed address prevent this?  For example, I was thinking of signing up with temp agencies - for secretarial or conveyancing work (yeah, well, somebody's got to do it) and my partner Ian, having more exciting skills, being an artist, was thinking he could do lovely paintings of boats/people on their boats/boats and swans, I dunno, that sort of  thing, all very tasteful!

Anyway, it would be good to hear from anyone, who's managed to combine the two, or about any particular problems etc.

Cheers

Pat

32071[/snapback]

Yes I do it. I can work at the end of a computer and phone line, so manage to cruise most of the day and work flexi hours around that.

No particular problems. Very understanding employer.

If you PM me I will do my best to answer any particular questions.

One idea is to be an amateur online model selling photosets.

So long as you have your photostock online somewhere all you need is a device to reply to emails to give customers passwords to access their ordered photoset.

I say this because i know a girl who went backpacking for a year and did exactly this.

She prepared in advance and had a lot of photosets.

The pictures she sold were of her dressed up as a secretary ect.

Nothing explicit mind.

An idea none of the less.

Edited by anthony

Hi Pat :lol:

I worked as an illustrator for 2 years, before going into teaching and I'm going back to that, when I'm afloat next year.

If Ian is good with images, why not try your hand at writing? There's bound to be a subject you both have in common (might be about your change to canal life?); could be fiction or non-fiction, for adults or children.

How 'bout an emergency lock repair kit eh?? Just imagine this hows it work; patch up those leaks and force those stuck/broke paddles to work. Diving gear for clearing obstructions. And complete with new inflatable lockgates in case of a total gate failure. No more waiting for BW.

Edited by fender.

Thanks y'all, for the comments and tips - some good'uns there, hehe. Making scarecrows? I could do that.

Liam - I was thinking of just temping for the odd week or so, here and there, probably holiday cover, so I guess we could moor a little way out of town and I might be able to catch a bus in, or walk or bike it. When you say working "on" the boat is different, do you mean as in selling stuff off the boat, cos if Ian was doing paintings it would be commissions, I think, so presumably he wouldn't need a commercial licence for that?

Carrie - I like the idea of writing something, but I think it will probably just be a blog of the building and fitting out the boat and then hopefully some adventures while cruising - can't imagine anyone paying to read my drivel :smiley_offtopic:. Good luck with your plans, btw.

Willawaw - your comment has set me thinking I might be able to carry on with my current job from the boat - big changes a-coming in conveyancing which might swing it in my favour - I will PM you, if I may.

Cheers

Pat

When I moored at Worsley, a young woman would moor up every few months, she was a fortune teller she seemed to do quite good business, can't even remember her name has anyone seen her around in the last few years.

Thinking about young women on boats there may be other avenue's.......... second thoughts better not go there, not on a Sunday anyway.

When I moored at Worsley, a young woman would moor up every few months, she was a fortune teller she seemed to do quite good business, can't even remember her name has anyone seen her around in the last few years.

32424[/snapback]

She and her OH now are moored permanently at Anderton Marina. If it's the same person she also does canalware and boat decoration.

Edited by Bernie

With the demise in red Diesel on the cards, I wonder how that will effect the working boats currently selling Diesel on the Cut? Theres a thought, they could sell heating oil for those who require it? If you have diesel fired heating on your boat, would you consider fitting a seperate tank to accomadate this? just a thought. :smiley_offtopic:

With the demise in red Diesel on the cards, I wonder how that will effect the working boats currently selling Diesel on the Cut? Theres a thought, they could sell heating oil for those who require it? If you have diesel fired heating on your boat, would you consider fitting a seperate tank to accomadate this? just a thought. :smiley_offtopic:

32923[/snapback]

I am in the 'lucky' position my shell has not been started yet, so will definitely have two tanks for fuel.

I expect I will also need two for waste, one grey, one foul, by the time it's built, getting worried with all these tanks whether there will be any room for us. :lol:

If and when the new licence charges come into effect (April 2006) a CCer will be paying the higher rate. So will there be an extra charge  for those that sell canal related stuff from their boat.

I thought I would ask BW about this and they said:-

IF we decided to allocate Continuous Cruiser boats to the higher rate, there would not be any further charge for trading. However, we would probably need to apply those of the existing business licence conditions that are needed for operational and safety reasons. This level of detail hasn’t been developed yet since the decision on Continuous Cruiser charging will depend on the review of consultation input.

I'am sure it was meant to say:-

....................we would probably need to apply those Parts/rules of the existing business licence conditions that are needed for operational and safety reasons.

Depending on your work location in relation to canals it is possible to comute and cruise . Although we have a long term mooring we tend to slowly cruise (ie stopping a week in one place ) round a 100 mile diameter ring with the workplace at its centre. Its quite possible to stay well within the regulations that way and even in winter with a careful study of the stoppage list not to get held up. The downside is obviously having to drive 50 miles to work but that is a small price to pay for this lifestyle , in any case as an early riser I still offten get into work much quicker than colleagues who live much closer.

• 2 weeks later...

We have plans to live afloat and, while I'm sure we could occupy ourselves quite happily for a year or so without "jobs", I'm thinking we'll eventually need to do something or other, either to earn money or keep us out of mischief. Does anyone have experience of working whilst cruising, is it feasible or does the lack of fixed address prevent this? For example, I was thinking of signing up with temp agencies - for secretarial or conveyancing work (yeah, well, somebody's got to do it) and my partner Ian, having more exciting skills, being an artist, was thinking he could do lovely paintings of boats/people on their boats/boats and swans, I dunno, that sort of thing, all very tasteful!

Cheers

Pat

Myself and my partner have been living aboard for 13 months and run a small video production business, training, promotion, schools, weddings etc. Although we have a residential mooring with mains and telephone, we frequently do our computer based editing work whilst moving around and running on the inverter. We can also access the internet whilst away, by using our mobile. BT calls are accessed from call minder by our mobile

Hope this helps

Roger