Ice boat or Ice breaker/Icebreaker

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

Which is correct please?

And a token image of Pelican I have just found on Google (coincidently with my old boat 'Spider' moored behind).

I love the way Pelicans cabin has a polised beaten metal look when the sun shines on it. Looked wonderful at Braunston this year. Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of it this year - was to busy waggling the steering stick. (EDIT - no jokes please!)

IMG_0989.jpg

Edited by Satellite

While on the subject - has anyone go any pictures or info on Baltic, I would love to track it down. Last time I heard, it was in the Bath area. I have one of the original carved name wooden pieces from the back end ..... cant I suppose it would be ....... sitting above the door in the kitchen. Along with a few old bits from it in the shed.

Edited by Satellite

While on the subject - has anyone go any pictures or info on Baltic, I would love to track it down. Last time I heard, it was in the Bath area. I have one of the original carved name wooden pieces from the back end ..... cant I suppose it would be ....... sitting above the door in the kitchen. Along with a few old bits from it in the shed.

I think it is still owned by Richard Clarke one of the directors of Bath Narrowboats. I am sure he would be delighted to hear from you.

I remember the boat with a JP2 in -went like wotsit off a hot shovel - I think it was replaced by something a bit more sensible in such a small fine lined boat (a Bukh?)

Paul H

We moored next to Pelican about 17 years ago in Leighton Buzzard...the owner wasn't into boats and used it just to sleep on ..it was a bit sad looking and eventually I think the choice was his girlfriend or Pelican. We saw it again this summer looking very neat and tidy ..so pleased it has obviously fund an owner who appreciated it.

(snip) I have some pictures somewhere of me having a bath in the kitchen sink on Baltic (as a baby!!) but I don't think I will post them.

Oh - go on . . .

BalticCowroast.jpg

The above taken soon after Jill had sold. (Not sure if I've sent you that before).

On the cut, I was quite firmly told many years ago, that an Ice breaker was a shaped piece of iron on the end of a shaft which was used to break ice, and that the likes of Baltic Pelican etc. were Ice boats.

It may be that it's a piece of 'lore' that has been built up, rather like that surrounding narrow boats never being called barges. Then again, it might be a regional thing.

Derek

Nothing to do with the topic,but what the hell's a "Legacy Gender Feild"???? (Look left to the nonsense beneath the avatar)

Edited by Derek R.

On the cut, I was quite firmly told many years ago, that an Ice breaker was a shaped piece of iron on the end of a shaft which was used to break ice, and that the likes of Baltic Pelican etc. were Ice boats.

It may be that it's a piece of 'lore' that has been built up, rather like that surrounding narrow boats never being called barges. Then again, it might be a regional thing.

Derek

I have amongst my collection of bits and pieces transcripts of 'British Waterways' maintenance boat records (Bulls Bridge, Saltley, Northwich, Bradley).

Bulls Bridge use the term "Ice Boat" for all except for the tugs built out of former G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. motors which are called "Ice Breakers".

Saltley use a combination of "Ice Boat" and "Ice Breaker" (usually the former), with two of the tugs built out of former G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. motors called "Ice Boats"

Northwich use the term "Ice Boat".

Bradley makes no reference, possibly due to these being more recent records.

The B.C.N. Company ledger listing their boats use the term "Ice Boat".

BALTIC was tied at Bath Narrowboats on 07 January 2009. My records show BALTIC as formally having a 16hp Lister CE (2 cylinder) rather than a Lister JP2, with the BUKH DV20ME being fitted in November 1983.

Good grief !

I didn't recognise at first - that's Cow roast. :lol:

There's been some vegetation growth in the intervening years.

If it was all cut back now there'd be an outcry from the 'greens' of 'destruction of our heritage!' Still a field in '70 with a proper little hedge.

Thanks for that Pete - an either/or situation! I guess I'd be inclined to call the original open ice breaking boats as 'Ice Boats' even with an added cabin. Not an issue for me, but interesting to know.

Derek

That would be an ice podger, surely?

A podger to me, is a tool with which to poke things to open up a hole (maybe ice) and to align two items for insertion of a third (no jokes you lot).

Most are spanners of a sort with a pointy end such as scaffolders use. Though I dare say the term might well have been used to describe a tool that broke ice simply because you 'poked' the ice with it, to make a hole.

I've not seen such an ice 'breaker/podger' as might have been used on the cut, and fancy they may have been part of the kit associated with breaking of ice with ice boats, rather than a standard bit of kit that most boat crews would carry, and likely kept at maintenance yards. Bet there's more boat shafts got used as a 'podger' than a proper one. I have a notion they were 'T' shaped, to make a bigger hole than a hook would do.

Derek

I've not seen such an ice 'breaker/podger' as might have been used on the cut, and fancy they may have been part of the kit associated with breaking of ice with ice boats, rather than a standard bit of kit that most boat crews would carry, and likely kept at maintenance yards. Bet there's more boat shafts got used as a 'podger' than a proper one. I have a notion they were 'T' shaped, to make a bigger hole than a hook would do.

If you see Martin, on Pelican, ask him to show you his podger.

It is quite distinctive and he is justly proud of his tool.

"That's enough carry-on style double entendres" : (ed)

If you see Martin, on Pelican, ask him to show you his podger.

It is quite distinctive and he is justly proud of his tool.

"That's enough carry-on style double entendres" : (ed)

I think canal people generally avoided the ambiguity of the word icebreaker but if they did ude it it generally meant podger.

Martin proudly showed me his podger at Braunston! Basically if you imagine a trident with the outside prongs bent at a right angle leaving the centre one parallel with the shaft you have a podger. Sort of half way between a keb and a short boat shaft. Presumably you could break the ice with the spike and pull it out on to the lockside with the angled prongs.

Paul H

"Basically if you imagine a trident with the outside prongs bent at a right angle leaving the centre one parallel with the shaft you have a podger. Sort of half way between a keb and a short boat shaft. Presumably you could break the ice with the spike and pull it out on to the lockside with the angled prongs."

Hole aligners are known as Bodgers surely. Podgers are Lockside equipment, as described so eloquently here. Extremely long shafts, and very heavy, so very hard work in use for dragging or pushing (with the spike) ice out of the way of the lock gates. Don't forget the 'Punner' which was used to actually break the ice before usng the 'Podger' to shift it. Stoke Bruerne Museum has a Podger or two on the top floor display.

Hole aligners are known as Bodgers surely. Podgers are Lockside equipment, as described so eloquently here. Extremely long shafts, and very heavy, so very hard work in use for dragging or pushing (with the spike) ice out of the way of the lock gates. Don't forget the 'Punner' which was used to actually break the ice before usng the 'Podger' to shift it. Stoke Bruerne Museum has a Podger or two on the top floor display.

A 'bodged' job is one made poor by poor workmanship, a Bodger is an itinerant wood turner, although it appears to be used as the word used to describe a 'podger' around the Black Country. More here.

A long shaft would be most useful for breaking up ice behind lock gates. I have a picture of a good ice 'podger' now!

Derek

That's a big jump Carl - Tesco's to 'arrods. Fortinumasons for me.

Edited by Derek R.

[quote A 'bodged' job is one made poor by poor workmanship, a Bodger is an itinerant wood turner, although it appears to be used as the word used to describe a 'podger' around the Black Country.

A long shaft would be most useful for breaking up ice behind lock gates. I have a picture of a good ice 'podger' now!

Derek

Must be where I heard it then. I know about the chair making use of the word. I know from experience that a long shaft is not very useful in breaking ice. You are more likely to break the shaft and I have seen several boaters doing just that. The 'Podger' is used to shift broken ice out of the lock, essential to allow the gates to open properly. I have a copy of a photo taken during the war of them in use, but haven't got the copyright to post it.

Derek

I know from experience that a long shaft is not very useful in breaking ice. You are more likely to break the shaft and I have seen several boaters doing just that.

Ah - yes! Come close to that on rare occasions. I had in mind a shaft of some thickness with an 'Ice podger' head. I'm with you.

Ah - yes! Come close to that on rare occasions. I had in mind a shaft of some thickness with an 'Ice podger' head. I'm with you.

Yes, you break the ice first then 'podge' it out of the way. I haven't used one myself, but it has to be easier than using an ordinary shaft to do the job, apart from the weight.

Good grief !

I didn't recognise at first - that's Cow roast. :lol:

There's been some vegetation growth in the intervening years.

Beat me to it, must be a very early picture of the Marina, can't remember the gantry in the background. I started mooring in the maina in 1988.

Baltic, I think moored in the marina as well, it belong to the secretary who worked for Peter Topping, she did a lot of work for the newly formed Wendover Arm Trust.

Great picture.

Leo

Beat me to it, must be a very early picture of the Marina, can't remember the gantry in the background. I started mooring in the maina in 1988.

Baltic, I think moored in the marina as well, it belong to the secretary who worked for Peter Topping, she did a lot of work for the newly formed Wendover Arm Trust.

Great picture.

Leo

Ta, seem to recall it was early eighties. You'll like THESE then, Mr. Fincher's.

Derek

Ta, seem to recall it was early eighties. You'll like THESE then, Mr. Fincher's.

Derek

Some negatives have turned up whilst rifling my mother's photo collection that may (or may not) relate to other photos I took at Cow Roast back then. If anything emerges that relates to the same topic, I'll append to the thread you have just linked to.