Is It Acceptable To Cruise Normally at 2 miles per hour ?

alan_fincher

Normal Cruising Speed On A Good Canal  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Is cruising at 2 mph on open stretches OK ?

• Yes - always, anybody faster should slow down.
    • Yes, but only if faster boats are allowed to pass ASAP
    • I neither care nor don't care, but am happy to follow at 2mph
    • No - nobody needs to travel that slowly if conditions are good.

Featured Posts

Sorry, I couldn't resist this, based on some of the strong feelings stirred up elsewhere.

I'm genuinely interested in the split of views, particularly as some may cast a vote, but who will not be prepared to be shot down for putting their feelings into writing.

Over to you!

I've cast my vote, and couldn't give a stuff what anybody else thinks. Go as slow as you want, but be prepared to let others past who may wish to proceed more quickly. It is nobodys business how slow or fast (within limit) one goes, as long as nobody else is being affected.

I have posted my vote.

I have been 'stuck' behind a slow boat that just wouldn't let me pass even when I asked if i could slither by. About an hour and a half just south of Rugby.

Anyone can go slow, but lets be considerate to others.

Martyn

I've cast my vote, and couldn't give a stuff what anybody else thinks. Go as slow as you want, but be prepared to let others past who may wish to proceed more quickly. It is nobodys business how slow or fast (within limit) one goes, as long as nobody else is being affected.

I agree word for word, that way I don't have to type it all myself :lol:

Following a boat on the Oxford recently, both of us cruising along nicely at around what would be my normal speed. Having both slowed to negotiate a blind bend, after some minutes there was still no sign of the other boat resuming that speed, even on a long straight stretch, and I couldn't go any slower.

I was close enough by now to ask if it was OK for me to overtake, but he and she never once looked around, so I blipped the horn for a nano-second. She went balistic and shouted for me to be patient. I tried to explain that my only intention was to ask them politely if I could overtake, but every time I tried, they both shouted rude comments. I overtook anyway.

I concur with the previous comments. Some boats cant go slow and still steer properly.

That is a very good point, my boat steers badly at tickover. That is why I would never prevent anybody from passing should they wish, because I know it can be difficult.

Edited by Guest

The first time we went through the Harecastle Tunnel we were lucky enough to arrive just as they were about to close in our direction which meant we were on our own travelling at our own speed - we bumped the sides a few times and had a reasonably lively journey going at our own speed. Second time going back up north we were tail end charlie to a convoy - Dave said it was much harder work this time cos he kept having to engage neutral to prevent us ramming the boat in front on tick over. Not sure of the point I'm making (if any) except I know we spent a lot less time in that horrible black hole the first time.

The first time we went through the Harecastle Tunnel we were lucky enough to arrive just as they were about to close in our direction which meant we were on our own travelling at our own speed - we bumped the sides a few times and had a reasonably lively journey going at our own speed. Second time going back up north we were tail end charlie to a convoy - Dave said it was much harder work this time cos he kept having to engage neutral to prevent us ramming the boat in front on tick over. Not sure of the point I'm making (if any) except I know we spent a lot less time in that horrible black hole the first time.

I hate getting behind the real slow ones in tunnels. We gave two hire boats about a half hour head-start away from Gayton, before following them towards Blisworth. Total bloody nightmare, still caught them about one third of the way through, (where the "new" bit starts). Almost impossible to navigate at their speed - presumably why they couldn't manage it either.

By comparison we managed to blag first boat of the day into Harecastle. Average speed over 3mph ( :lol: ) despite low bits and the only touching was my hair on the roof. Great fun, and a total contrast - I estimate next boat back was not yet half way through as we emerged.

Our local swimming pool has lanes for fast movers and lanes for slow movers. Perhaps the tunnels need time slots for those who want to go at least 2 mph when not passing, and another for those who prefer to do less ?

I used to enjoy tunnels - these days I do everything I can to not enter a long one where anybody else has gone in in the last 20 minutes, or less.

:lol:

On a different note the hire boat we passed in Shrewley, with no headlight on apologised profusely, despite us saying nothing. They realised seeing us they ought to have a light on, but had been told nothing about it by the hire base, and couldn't find a switch in the dark. (Yes, I know Shrewley is probably short enough that BW bye-laws don't require a white light at the front, but there is actually a notice outside telling you to display one).

We can't remember whether it was Braunston or Blisworth Tunnel where we emerged with an impressive bow wave! Before anyone shouts - we did slow right down whenever an oncoming craft came our way :lol:

PS didn't make the same mistake this time sitting at the front of the boat through Blisworth - you only get soaked once before you learn your lesson!

Edited cos I've had a few glasses of wine hic

Edited by Ange

They are on their holidays, probably/possibly paying lots of money to be there, doing nobody any great harm (hopefully), let them be and wish them the best. Most of us were in the same boat once (pun intended). I have followed many private boats through tunnels (and elsewhere) that would be put to shame by many hire boat captains when it comes to boat control and speed.

Yes, it can be very frustrating following slow boats, however, if any of us need to get to our next destination in a hurry, there are faster forms of transport than canal boats……. Live and let live….

Now, back to the pratts moored down at Brentford, blocking the lock near Blackrose, live and let live doesn’t apply to you ----

We can't remember whether it was Braunston or Blisworth Tunnel where we emerged with an impressive bow wave! Before anyone shouts - we did slow right down whenever an oncoming craft came our way :lol:

PS didn't make the same mistake this time sitting at the front of the boat through Blisworth - you only get soaked once before you learn your lesson!

Good grief ! some bow wave, then !

They are on their holidays, probably/possibly paying lots of money to be there, doing nobody any great harm (hopefully), let them be and wish them the best. Most of us were in the same boat once (pun intended).

Yes, you make a fair point, that I fully accept.

Seems a bit tough if it's your first time on the tiller that your first major feature is Blisworth - it's hard to instruct for that one, so not the hire base's fault either.

That's why, if we can, we allow them to get ahead - I seriously thought we had left a big enough gap that if we caught them it would not be until most of the way through.

Not their fault, I'll admit - I certainly don't expect to get waved past in a tunnel, unless someone has broken down, and needs a tow out.

We are actually very supportive of hirers, if they seem they want to be supported, and Cath does a very good line in training beyond what the hire base gave.

The mind boggles - or, at least, mine does.

Does every one have to 'race' everywhere these days? I thought that was reserved for the roads ??

Nah - we definitely don't race and are incredibly laid back but hubby loves the opportunity to have a bit of fun as long as it isn't at the expense of anyone else. Is that so wrong? Ps we are the first to say if you''re in a hurry you've chosen the wrong form of transport

Most of the time we chug along happily - it's only when we can be sure that no damage is being done to the banks/ moored boats/ etc that we get a bit silly - but then life's for having fun isn't it?

Nah - we definitely don't race and are incredibly laid back but hubby loves the opportunity to have a bit of fun as long as it isn't at the expense of anyone else. Is that so wrong? Ps we are the first to say if you''re in a hurry you've chosen the wrong form of transport

Most of the time we chug along happily - it's only when we can be sure that no damage is being done to the banks/ moored boats/ etc that we get a bit silly - but then life's for having fun isn't it?

I don't race either, but there are times when a person might have to get somewhere with little time to spare - domestic emegency or family illness to attend to, or the need to get a boat back to a hire base having lost time during the week - and half a day can be lost biding your time behind an inordinately slow boat.

Travel at whatever speed you like, but it does you no harm to keep an eye out for crews who choose to travel faster than you do, for whatever reason.

I don't race either, but there are times when a person might have to get somewhere with little time to spare - domestic emegency or family illness to attend to, or the need to get a boat back to a hire base having lost time during the week - and half a day can be lost biding your time behind an inordinately slow boat.

Travel at whatever speed you like, but it does you no harm to keep an eye out for crews who choose to travel faster than you do, for whatever reason.

Totally agree with you Homer - we did double up through some locks recently with a sngle handed guy who had no other mode of transport and was racing home for a family emergency - we helped him on his way as best we could - some people live on boats and don't have cars and maybe not much in the way of income so need to get somewhere quickly

Edited to say am sober enough to know that doesn't quite make sense but drunk enough that i can't be a££sed

Edited by Ange

with a grp cruiser its easy to break the speed limit i admit, with that you are not really causing a wash, and you are at a very low rpm, power to weight ratio of my boat and a 15hp honda is huge comparied to nbs.

i would often say comming up behind narrowboats is a bit of a nightmare, my boat did not want to steer at the speed some where going, and then the wind would blow you all over the place, and one boat recently was just being plain ignorant, he could see me all over the place, at tick over then knocking it into idle, and i still caught this guy up, but for about 2 hours untill he wanted to moor up he just left it at the same speed. it was very frustrating, but we were on holiday, in no rush but would of rather been in decent control of the boat.

we had a nightmare in blisworth too, watching a hire boat bounce of the walls on tickover the whole way through, we was slightly better this time as there was no wind. on the way back through i had a open run and that was nice.

Even if you are traveling constantly at the permitted 4mph maximum, I hardly think it can be termed "racing about". Not when people can get off the boat and walk ahead to set the locks. 4mph is slow compared to any other form of transport. Six, eight or even ten mph would still be a slow leisurely pace. So what is the incentive to go slower? What reason would someone have to cruise at 2mph? It can't be that their reaction times aren't fast enough to cope with the extra speed, or that they don't have time to take in the scenery as it whizzes by at less than walking pace. Is it some kind of competitive extreme relaxation, where people have the idea that the pace of travel on the canals is all about taking things slowly and so they want to do it better than anyone else? I'm not having a dig at anyone, I genuinely can't understand the appeal of traveling even more slowly. If there's anyone here who does habitually trundle along at 2mph, please, explain the appeal.