Fibreglass Cabins... Ok for livaboard?

becki

Featured Posts

What do you think about fibreglass cabin, steel hull boats to livaboard?

Sorry Becki but you are looking for a steel boat with enough length to live in. Don't start making your life difficult.

Check out all of the people who advertise on the internet and then spend a couple of days going around them.

Make a start with Apollo Duck and then all of the others, you will also find boats on ebay. Some of the people on here have boats for sale, put an ad in.

What do you think about fibreglass cabin, steel hull boats to livaboard?

Whereas you will find there is a fair amount of prejudice against them, in the price range you're looking at they will give you a longer boat for the same price (because of this dislike)

As long as it is well maintained and insulated it's a good material, much less condensation, less 'metal boxy', mobile phone works much better. But on most the handrails will have been through screwed and these frequently leak if not well maintained. If they leak the ceiling lining will rot.

They are a sign of an older boat, not many, if any new boats, have fibreglass tops, so look carefully around the edges of the windows because this is a major leak point too.

have been through apolloduck really thoroughly and am going to see boats. now starting on other sites too. re. previous question i'm not sure about the ventilation - going to look at boat tomorrow. the other two are all steel you'll be pleased to know :lol:

have been through apolloduck really thoroughly and am going to see boats. now starting on other sites too. re. previous question i'm not sure about the ventilation - going to look at boat tomorrow. the other two are all steel you'll be pleased to know :lol:

Ventilation is a critical point much over looked. Need both winter and summer everything will be damp inside if there is insufficient. Mushrooms on the roof are a good way to air the boat.

A gentleman should always be immaculately turned out, even with long nails and high heels.

I favour a little sparkle blusher too.

Richard

yes, smaller prettier hands than you used to have in your acting days. i'm glad their not your breasts, anyway, that would have been really weird

I know. His are much bigger

Richard

Dont even think about it.......

For why?

We spend much of our time, the two of us and the Rottie, on a 40ft Harborough Marine with a GRP top.

One half of the boat has been re-insulated with 50mm Cellotex, and the aforementioned handrail situation repaired at the same time - this end is mainly leak (and condensation) free, apart from an area of tunnel/bridge damage on the top corner at the bows, which needs sorting.

We like it enough to have bought a second one, a 47ft Rugby Boats (ex-Gordon's hire) which we plan to swap with this when it's finished.

The former boat, Caveat Emptor, doesn't suffer from window leaks, as it uses pre-fabricated GRP sections for its drop-in windows, whereas the good ship CreamCheese (used to) leak like a sieve from the 30-40 through-drilled holes per window. We've since removed all the windows, and re-bonded them back in, without the screws, which has cured that happily. With the whole boat stripped at the moment, there are two drips from handrail points, to be sorted next weekend, and a leak at the stern (my fault) from moving from a centre hatch to side-door without a hatch.

I'm with Alan on this one, GRP topped boats offer a sensible budget way into boating. I'd rather have either of our GRP-topped boats with sound hulls, than a rotten springer with a steel top, for the same money.

Approach, like all situations where you're handing over money, with cauthion, and view on a rainy day.

PC

For why?

Because people are scared of something the know nothing about. GRP, or wooden covered with GRP or canvas, or just straight wooden cabins are far nice than steel.

They do not get as hot to the touch in the summer, your fingers don't stick to them when it is icey, more consistant internal temperature. They 'feel' nicer. Less condensation. Less rattley sound when it rains. And, I love the way they look when painted. Not straight and consistant like a car panel but a bit of character.

They do require more maintenance but I would always have a wooden/grp cabin over a steel one.

Because people are scared of something the know nothing about. GRP, or wooden covered with GRP or canvas, or just straight wooden cabins are far nice than steel.

They do not get as hot to the touch in the summer, your fingers don't stick to them when it is icey, more consistant internal temperature. They 'feel' nicer. Less condensation. Less rattley sound when it rains. And, I love the way they look when painted. Not straight and consistant like a car panel but a bit of character.

They do require more maintenance but I would always have a wooden/grp cabin over a steel one.

Couldn't have put it better myself.