Pike

reddi8

Featured Posts

sitting in the boat I watched a homing pigeon swoop down for water then rested on the boat & took a second swoop when I pike leapt to try & catch it. i never believed the stories before about pike taking ducks until i saw this.

John has a fishing licence & with his grandson he fished the Leeds Liverpool canal near Crooke & caught a 12 lb pike which I cleaned & cooked. It was only after we were told he faced a £1000 fine for doing that. It seems the angling clubs put pike in the canal to clear any diseased fish.

In the 70s we had a trout lake that was full of pike , to get rid of some i us to take a empty lemonade bottle and fasten 2' of fishing line with baited hook on it, we did 20 or 30 a night ,then take them to the upwind side and let them go, next morning we collected 10/20 pike and sold them to a local restaurant

Richard, Sounds a bit like Jaws!

You normally only see Pike floating belly up.

The course fishermen seem to get 'rid' of them because of the competition.

When I was younger, I fished in a popular lake. Everytime I caught a fish and tried to land it, this young Jack Pike used to grab the fish and snap my line.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Pike cooked correctly taste very good they must be placed in salt water overnight and when cut into steaks they are a very clean white fish no fish worms as in sea fish like cod,when i was a boy i used to be taken to the river Whitham at Bardney,where we caught several pike every visit and i loved eating pike from a young age, do not be mislead that the population are dwindling far from it they are thriving thanks to the lack of pike fishermen, but as the price of cod rises pike will become a regular on many a good menu you watch i promise you.

it's well proven fact that if you kill the large pike in any particular fishery then the water becomes over run with small jack pike (which are a nuisance). Large pike predate on their smaller offspring and help reduce overall numbers and increase average size (which is good !)

been out for 10 days and have done great fishing for pike, trolling behind the boat with lures has caught every time.

3 to six pounds in weight but the BIG ONE has yet to be tempted.

Four to eight pounds is, I believe, a good weight if you intend to cook/eat it. Carp can make a good meal and Perch if you can catch some big enough. I would appreciate some recipes and advice on catching and cooking crayfish would be very welcome. The rather boring recipé section would be much enlivened by methods for obtaining and using wildlife and other food-for-free.

Menu:

Nettle Soup

Crayfish in Garlic Butter or Grilled Pike Steak (marinated in Sloe Gin)

Mallard á l'orange or Roasted Wild Goose

Melangé of seasonal wild fruits

Alan

i couldnt eat a pike if you paid me or a carp for that matter

shane

I took home a 5lb pike I caught when I was a kid. Although the meat is tasty it has far too many bones to really enjoy it. I'd only do it again if I was Ray Mears.

When I was on the Thames in Reading recently I took a break from fitting out and leant out the sidehatch overlooking the river. The sun was behind me casting a shadow of the boat over the water. As I looked down into the clear water I was amazed to see a big pike just floating there, moving slowly to counter the current. It couldn't see me because it was in shadow and it gradually moved toward the surface until it was almost within arms reach. Then suddenly like a flash it was gone!

Menu:

Nettle Soup

Crayfish in Garlic Butter or Grilled Pike Steak (marinated in Sloe Gin)

Mallard á l'orange or Roasted Wild Goose

Melangé of seasonal wild fruits

This has come up before and I don't think you're allowed to take ducks or geese. Although perhaps with everyone feeding them and the pest proportions reached in some places this could be part of the solution? Swan pie anyone? :cheers:

I'm not really sure if crayfish from the canals would be fit for consumption. Rivers and live pounds ok, but the silt and mud that these creatures live in on some canals can be quite putrid. :cheers:

Edited by blackrose

• 7 months later...