Sargasso Nene

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

the gauge boards are in metric, so it should be easy enough to understand :lol:

failing that, you will soon find out if there is enough clearance....... :lol:

gotta love the mix of units used. there are some who are not happy at the appearance of speed limit signs in kmh. odd one has been over painted from 11.2 km back to 7mph but no altering the gauge boards to read feet and inches....

We set out from Gayton on the 25th July and arrived in Peterborough on Thursday 30th and whilst there is weed, there was never enough to cause any hold up. We never had to open the weed hatch once. The only small problem we had was being held up for four hours at Wadenhoe through a power outage. Apart from having to dodge a few downpours I have to say that the Nene was beautiful. I suppose it's a matter of perception mixed with a little bit of luck eh?

Just to add, whilst the Nene was a breeze, the Northampton Arm - especially between locks 13 and 14 - was like the Everglades in places!!

Edited by Brummage

Just to add, whilst the Nene was a breeze, the Northampton Arm - especially between locks 13 and 14 - was like the Everglades in places!!

Yes, the Northampton Arm is a bit jungly, isn't it? But not much problem with weed - the floating stuff all seemed to have been cut up into bite-sized pieces, whether by weed-cutter or people's props I don't know. Actually, I've come to quite like the Northampton Arm, and moored overnight between Locks 13 & 14, peaceful apart from the motorway noise, with just a few pleasant chatty passers-by. Or was I just lucky?

Mac

I know this may sound silly, but you'd be surprised how many people don't realise, that often weed can be got through by using high revvs - the prop cuts it up rather than it just getting wrapping around it thus becoming a weed ball. Most weed can be cleared of the prop by giving a GOOD blast astern.

These rules stand well for most weed, but blanket weed is a problem at any speed, and all I can suggest there is keep plugging away at it. Nobody said boating was easy!

Mike

I find that max revs in reverse the instant I hear engine start to slow down does the trick, too late when it's wrapped round prop.

the gauge boards are in metric, so it should be easy enough to understand :lol:

The gauge boards lie, in general, I find.

There's at least a week and a half for the Nene to subside before we head back that way, so I'm not worried (yet). Anyone know what the Severn between Worcester and Stourport is like? It would be a tragedy to get to the bottom of Tardebigge and then have to turn around.....

It's strange how different weed affects different boats. We didn't have much problem at all on the Northampton Arm, apart from going aground a couple of times squeezing between the big banks of reeds and the side.

Have beaten up Hatton today in the pouring rain. Now moored at the top, ready for Lapworth tomorrow. Passed BlueStringPudding going the opposite way at Kate Boats in Warwick.

MP.

Looks like the weed on the Nene is tougher than the ML then MP and there's enough of it there for sure. We only went as far as Fotheringhay. Now at Peterborough on way back.

Just those two "pounds". We found that the ML was fine apart from Angle Corner to Flood's Ferry, but apparently Well Creek is a bit bad.

MP.

Have beaten up Hatton today in the pouring rain. Now moored at the top, ready for Lapworth tomorrow. Passed BlueStringPudding going the opposite way at Kate Boats in Warwick.

MP.

As that bounder Alan Fincher claims to have run off with Tawny Owl, are you on her empty mooring? First long term space after Hatton top lock?

Richard

As that bounder Alan Fincher claims to have run off with Tawny Owl, are you on her empty mooring? First long term space after Hatton top lock?

We are actually about half a mile beyond the top lock, just past the winding hole where the cutting opens out. I confess I didn't see Tawny Owl as we passed, but I wasn't looking.......

MP.

We are actually about half a mile beyond the top lock, just past the winding hole where the cutting opens out. I confess I didn't see Tawny Owl as we passed, but I wasn't looking.......

MP.

Oh. Should have looked something like this:

IMG_0832.JPG

Richard

source of image :lol:

I went down the nene on friday through the Dog and Doublet and out to the wash.There are clumps of weed at the Dog that fit the sargasso description,i had to wind up the engine to get through but after that there was nothing east of the Dog and Doublet,incidently there is a brand new pontoon at the gates.

I had a great weekend,after Peterborough i did not see another boat on the river that was moving