Converting to pumpout

Featured Posts

whop wants to poo in a bucket and flush it down with some sort of fancy washing up liquid?

ewww,

It's easy, cheap and not as unpleasant as many people crack it up to be. The only time I found it slightly unpleasant was if the elsan facility had not been cleaned, was run down or had been abused by previous pourers. If you are physically weak or disabled then I admit that 14 litres of fluid weighs a fair bit if you have to lug it far but, in the main, you can get close to an elsan point due to dedicated moorings.

Roger

The only time I found it slightly unpleasant was if the elsan facility had not been cleaned, was run down or had been abused by previous pourers.

The worst time I had was at Cropredy when the people ahead of me had used a self pump out and sprayed the walls, floor and ceiling with their excrement.

I was forced to use the toilet, next door, to empty my portapotti and pitied the poor BW guy who had to come and clean up the mess.

I can see the appeal if you get someone else to pump out for you but then the Yorkshire thrift kicks in and I can't bring myself to spend valuable cake money on poo disposal.

Thats when a sea cock and tidal waters come in handy. Trouble is it then costs us more in diesel than having a pump out. :lol:

The worst time I had was at Cropredy when the people ahead of me had used a self pump out and sprayed the walls, floor and ceiling with their excrement.

I was forced to use the toilet, next door, to empty my portapotti and pitied the poor BW guy who had to come and clean up the mess.

Exactly, you've illustrated the point that the pump out people should go and get a (ta ra) pump out and not decorate a sani station with their poo. If the facility had not been abused by an inconsiderate user there would have been no problem........but that's inconsiderate humans for you. :lol:

Roger

Edited by Albion

We calculated that we drink about six/seven cups of tea per day (and no booze). Each cup/mug is about ½ pint, so that makes about four pints. Add in a few lumpy bits and we estimated 5 litres - just over a gallon/eight pints - per person a day should be more than adequate. Seems to have worked out OK, save that we put the extraction outlet in the wrong place which means that we don't empty the tank completely.

Can understand the comments about self pump outs, but surely that is the same kind of stereotyping as suggesting that all people with shiny boats value their paintwork and all hire boaters don't know what they're doing. Not everyone sprays their outgoings all over the elsan point.

I'm certainly taking a bit more care of my paintwork having just spent a long time repairing the results of some less than ideal lock entry and exits. But I'll share a lock with others and haven't got fenders hanging all around the boat at all times.

P.S. Haven't got a self pump out kit, but that doesn't mean I haven't/wouldn't consider one

Can understand the comments about self pump outs, but surely that is the same kind of stereotyping as suggesting that all people with shiny boats value their paintwork and all hire boaters don't know what they're doing. Not everyone sprays their outgoings all over the elsan point.

snipped

P.S. Haven't got a self pump out kit, but that doesn't mean I haven't/wouldn't consider one

Ray, my point was that of the many people who espouse the pump out cause saying that they couldn't possibly handle a smelly disgusting cassette tank and have to pour the contents down an elsan point, then go ahead and use a self pump out in exactly the same facilities. Surely that's just as disgusting and there is much more of it being shifted in one event? Often, because they are pumping from the boat end of the pipe they can't see where the outlet end of the pipe is, and whether it is still in place. This is what decorates the sani station and causes other users, emptying cassettes for which the facilities were designed, to have to put up with the mess (which then tends to put even more people off using a sani station). It is the irresposible minority that cause the problem, not the responsible majority.

Roger

My comments were not about the people but the equipment (though their attitude, after the incident, stank more than the mess they left).

I'm sure the people didn't intend to cause the mess (I can't believe they managed it without requiring a change of clothes and a shower) but if that is the possible outcome then there it could happen to anyone.

The possibility of getting covered in month old sh*t is enough to persuade me never to buy a self pump out kit.

Don't disagree with the sentiments of either of the above.

All I was trying to say is that we shouldn't brand all self pump outers the same.

If I ever bought one I'd make sure that I had one person at each end of the pipe and an on/off valve at the loose end as an added safeguard. I'd probably only use it as a last resort back-up as well.

For the time being I'll carry on paying to have my tank emptied. Having spent the last twenty plus years pumping out trip and hire boats I don't find it a problem.

If I ever bought one I'd make sure that I had one person at each end of the pipe and an on/off valve at the loose end as an added safeguard. I'd probably only use it as a last resort back-up as well.

The incident I referred to had an operator at either end and it looked, to me, like a case of aiming accurately but there was a "blow back" from the elsan point bowl, due to pressure build up, in the pump out pipe.

All self pump outers are the same, btw, normal human beings not expecting a major excrement incident.

Edited by carlt

My comments were not about the people but the equipment (though their attitude, after the incident, stank more than the mess they left).

I'm sure the people didn't intend to cause the mess (I can't believe they managed it without requiring a change of clothes and a shower) but if that is the possible outcome then there it could happen to anyone.

The possibility of getting covered in month old sh*t is enough to persuade me never to buy a self pump out kit.

I think I'd agree with that. We don't have a self pump out kit and I don't think I want one. However I think, having had both systems, I prefer to call in at a facillity once every few weeks and have someone else empty the tank whilst I relax rather than carry and empty a smaller tank every three days. This means that I have no chance of coming into contact with the stuff or making a mess with it. I've seen blocked and overflowing elsan points which cannot be attributred to self pump outs. The cost isn't really relevant to me. I don't see how carrying a couple of spare cassetes full of excrement which would only get in the way is any better having a room sealed tank full.

I've not pumped out my loo yet. Something to look forward to I guess :lol:

It is easy. You just pull in at a marina with pump out facillities, say "Pump out please", have a look around at the boats there or visit the chandlery, return to your emptied boat, cough up between £10 and £15 and go on your way without having to carry and pour sewage.

Hi all.

If I was to buy a boat with (for example) a cassette toilet, how difficult would it be to convert to a pump out toilet - either a dump through or a macerator.

An idea of costs involved would be appreciated too.

Thanks guys

You can have mine for nothing - dump through toilet, tank and all! I am swapping it out for a PortaPotti tomorrow. You'll have to be quick though... I don't think the marina will appreciate it hanging around for too long so I'll be off to the tip in the afternoon :lol:

You can have mine for nothing - dump through toilet, tank and all! I am swapping it out for a PortaPotti tomorrow. You'll have to be quick though... I don't think the marina will appreciate it hanging around for too long so I'll be off to the tip in the afternoon :lol:

Where are you based? Are the pan and valve block OK?

Richard

Where are you based? Are the pan and valve block OK?

Richard

At Saul Junction on the Glos/Sharpness. It all seems ok and in working order (although I'm no expert) but a portable is just more convenient for us, plus the tank extends under one of our beds and we want to make some changes.

PM if you're interested.

At Saul Junction on the Glos/Sharpness. It all seems ok and in working order (although I'm no expert) but a portable is just more convenient for us, plus the tank extends under one of our beds and we want to make some changes.

PM if you're interested.

Too far away, but thanks. Why not put in the For Sale and Wanted section, even if you give it away.

Richard

Too far away, but thanks. Why not put in the For Sale and Wanted section, even if you give it away.

Richard

No problem. Didn't know about the For Sale section - I may pop it in there (if I can find somewhere to store it in the meantime!).

312 L or 68.7 Galls . bob.

4'x2'x1.5' =12cu ft.

6.23gal per cu ft x 12 = 74.76 gal.

4.55 lt per gal x 74.76 = 340.15 lt

Assuming tank dimensions are internal

According to 'The Model Engineers Handbook' by Tubal Cain, third edition

Ok I'm sad :lol:

Edited by nb Innisfree