digitized canals.

pirate paul

Featured Posts

Or you could get a decent DVD of the whole experience, and not have to get involved in any of the "nasty" hands on aspects of canal boating at all. :lol: :lol:

Many of the hold ups I have experienced on canals have been down to even the most basic attempts to mechanise what was not once mechanised, like waiting on the Stort whilst two BW gentlemen failed to come to a conclusion why the electrics and hydraulics that were meant to be opening lock gates were not actually doing so.

Locally you can no longer get through the Winkwell swing bridge if a power cut arises. Thirty years ago it was worked by a big "bus steering wheel", and it would not have been halted by such an event.

Please leave the 200 year old technology alone, thank you!

Or you could get a decent DVD of the whole experience, and not have to get involved in any of the "nasty" hands on aspects of canal boating at all. :lol: :lol:

Many of the hold ups I have experienced on canals have been down to even the most basic attempts to mechanise what was not once mechanised, like waiting on the Stort whilst two BW gentlemen failed to come to a conclusion why the electrics and hydraulics that were meant to be opening lock gates were not actually doing so.

Locally you can no longer get through the Winkwell swing bridge if a power cut arises. Thirty years ago it was worked by a big "bus steering wheel", and it would not have been halted by such an event.

Please leave the 200 year old technology alone, thank you!

Clogs.

A couple of months ago I went on the Anderton Boat lift. I was amazed that now its all computerised its still no where near as productive in operating as it was prior to computerisation. In fact if I remember rightly in the "good old days" it used to take around 8 mins for a lift cycle with one man operating it all. Now with the new computer and all the H&S polava it takes 5 staff 40mins to do the same. :lol: Computerisation isn't always the answer :lol:

Isn't manually doing the locks one of the most enjoyable parts of your wonderful canal network.

Don't turn it into "twitter', "myspace", "facebook" or "youtube". There is enough technology out there with all that c**p

We all need the exercise, don't we?

A couple of months ago I went on the Anderton Boat lift. I was amazed that now its all computerised its still no where near as productive in operating as it was prior to computerisation. In fact if I remember rightly in the "good old days" it used to take around 8 mins for a lift cycle with one man operating it all. Now with the new computer and all the H&S polava it takes 5 staff 40mins to do the same. :lol: Computerisation isn't always the answer :lol:

Health and safety?

A nice idea and all, but I prefer the theory of 'if it isn't broken, don't try to fix it' :lol:

It is broke ....Trade stopped years ago .... The naerest canal from me , the Forth Clyde , goes from the North sea to the atlantic, we must expand and move forward

Isn't manually doing the locks one of the most enjoyable parts of your wonderful canal network.

Don't turn it into "twitter', "myspace", "facebook" or "youtube". There is enough technology out there with all that c**p

We all need the exercise, don't we?

No.

Locks and swing bridges could be computer opperated.

When you come to a lock the gates are open the close behind you automatic, the lock fills or empties, the gates open you sail out. No need to get off the boat unless you want to do it your self.

It is broke ....Trade stopped years ago .... The naerest canal from me , the Forth Clyde , goes from the North sea to the atlantic, we must expand and move forward

No.

I'm sure BW woud have liked a manual backup for the opening of Speaker Martin lock. :lol:

Iain

We could bulldoze all those grotty old castles and National Trust properties, too!

To free up the land for modern housing estates.

When you come to a lock the gates are open the close behind you automatic, the lock fills or empties, the gates open you sail out. No need to get off the boat unless you want to do it your self.

No thanks I like it jus the way it is. As long as they are properly maintained it all works fine. :lol:

We could bulldoze all those grotty old castles and National Trust properties, too!

To free up the land for modern housing estates.

We could bulldoze some new canals and plant trees along them, We could improve what we have got make a profit and build more.

Technically, it would be easy to automate the locks and bridges. It would certainly help commercial barges in their navigation and if there were any, I would be the first to say, go for it.

As there are virtually nil numbers of commercial traffic, I shall consider it good exercise, before a pub lunch.

We could bulldoze some new canals and plant trees along them, We could improve what we have got make a profit and build more.

Modernising Britain's heritage is not, in many people's opinion, improving anything.

The canals are, first and foremost, an important part of our history.

If you want a modern waterway go and dig your own. Don't destroy the ones we've got.

I guess you are just trying to wind people up but make a profit how? :lol:

Edited by churchward

I guess you are just rying to wind people up but make a profit how? :lol:

It was once considered a waste of time and money to restore canals, but when some were restored, by so called out of touch old fashioned 'anoraks' with no idea of the modern world, an unexpected revitalisation of the surroundings resulted. No one can predict the outcome of building new canals so why not try and give it a go? No need to spoil existing ones just recreate what already works, I think it's worth it on aesthetic grounds alone

It was once considered a waste of time and money to restore canals, but when some were restored, by so called out of touch old fashioned 'anoraks' with no idea of the modern world, an unexpected revitalisation of the surroundings resulted. No one can predict the outcome of building new canals so why not try and give it a go? No need to spoil existing ones just recreate what already works, I think it's worth it on aesthetic grounds alone

Yes, I know in my youth I was one of them! There are bits of the K&A partially dug by my own hand (well plus a pick or shovel or two :lol: )

But I would still like to know how "bulldozing" some new canals is going to make a profit.

Yes, I know in my youth I was one of them! There are bits of the K&A partially dug by my own hand (well plus a pick or shovel or two :lol: )

But I would still like to know how "bulldozing" some new canals is going to make a profit.

Don't know if canals were ever profitable in the long run. If canal building had been shelved to wait for the railways, or, reliable road transport, we could have avoided all this. I think all these things started out with someone having 'vision' ridiculous at the time but hailed as heroes with hindsight, perhaps the original post was written by one of these crazy people?

I guess you are just trying to wind people up but make a profit how? :lol:

Commercial traffic would be quicker, It would be quicker to get from A to B not all of us are on holiday.

See new canals post for serious profit.

You'd think the canals were lying derelict and decaying. P-irrate Paul seems unaware of the restoration and development that has occured over the last 40 years.

Long may it continue.

By building houses with canal sibe added value in the same project, it must be payed for.

Don't know if canals were ever profitable in the long run. If canal building had been shelved to wait for the railways, or, reliable road transport, we could have avoided all this. I think all these things started out with someone having 'vision' ridiculous at the time but hailed as heroes with hindsight, perhaps the original post was written by one of these crazy people?

No

Not computer as such, but operated by sensors. Which is what happens on much of the French waterway system. You seldom if ever get off your boat, and never work a lock yourself.

here is a good starting point the last 14 miles of Lancaster Canal to Kendal

http://johnsloan.squarespace.com/diary/200...-july-2009.html

That is such a dreadful shame - and like the Grantham Canal - the route and most of the infrastructure is all there but you just can't get to it.