Monkey box

Chertsey

Featured Posts

OK, first question. Chertsey comes with a monkey box - something I'd not come across before. It's open at the bottom with a sloping hinged lid and I gather that it sits on the side bed adjacent to the step. What would it have been used for, and how common were they?

OK, first question. Chertsey comes with a monkey box - something I'd not come across before. It's open at the bottom with a sloping hinged lid and I gather that it sits on the side bed adjacent to the step. What would it have been used for, and how common were they?

Another name is a pillow box which is self-explanatory. I've heard they were used for cleaning materials but I imagine whatever you fancied. I think they fell out of favour when it became the obvious place to put the (rather large) wireless.

Incidentally, congrats on getting hold of Chertsey - seems a good original boat. Too many have been "over-restored."

Do we have to call you ChertseyWoman now? Sounds like a typical voter that David Cameron would target!

Paul H

Edited by Paul H

I don't know what a Monkey box is but congrats on your purchase of Chertsey and I wish you luck restoring her.

• 3 weeks later...
I believe there used to be a brand of Monkey Brass polish kept in the box with the cleaning cloths.

Ahaah! The polish for Brass Monkeys! An old saying adopted by a polish manufacturer - excellent marketing (maybe).

Another diversion for 'Monkey Boat' - boats with polished brass? :lol:

Another name is a pillow box which is self-explanatory. I've heard they were used for cleaning materials but I imagine whatever you fancied. I think they fell out of favour when it became the obvious place to put the (rather large) wireless.

Paul H

Talking of wireless.... I have been looking for an appropriate 1940's set for the boat. I realise that it would be a battery operated valve set, with all its own inefficiencies but does anyone remember(!) or know what make and model was common on boats? The later Ever Ready and Vidor attache case models wouldn't look right in a back cabin. A photo of one would be helpful.

Thanks

Bill

Nice little Roberts Carl, I have an RT7 but it needs a transformer.

Some views of period sets here: http://www.vintage-radio.com/ click on Manufacturers and Sets on the left.

More here: http://www.pasttimesradio.co.uk/index.html

Many pics here: http://www.vintageradio.me.uk/valve/valve1.htm

I fancy a working period radio from the thirties will set you back a tidy sum. The early transistor sets were very popular - late fifties on, and from the size aspect easier to position. Roberts were quality pieces, though most will remember the 200 & 300 series, which are now available new in DAB version retro styled - but £150! R200's still come up on ebay and usually go for around £30. There are waves of interest there, so bide your time if they seem overpriced, better still, seek the enthusiasts websites.

There is also a possible issue with digital broadcasting and the phasing out of analogue. Not sure how this will affect vintage radio buffs. Be a great pity if it does.

A Roberts RT7

RobertsRT7.jpg

Edited by Derek R.

There is also a possible issue with digital broadcasting and the phasing out of analogue. Not sure how this will affect vintage radio buffs. Be a great pity if it does.

I'm hoping someone will come up with something like those little transmitters that allow you to use an MP3 player, in a car that only has an FM radio.

Otherwise they'll become decorative only which is a shame.

I've got a Roberts in every room, 3 on the boat and one in the camper, mostly R200s.(plus a few spares!)

They were selling the R200 Dab replicas for £25.99 last year, in the Rugby Coop and I didn't buy one!!

Talking of wireless.... I have been looking for an appropriate 1940's set for the boat. I realise that it would be a battery operated valve set, with all its own inefficiencies but does anyone remember(!) or know what make and model was common on boats? The later Ever Ready and Vidor attache case models wouldn't look right in a back cabin. A photo of one would be helpful.

Thanks

Bill

You'll love this one - I do!!

http://www.vintage-radio.com/recent-repairs/philco-a1.html

There's a nice set sitting on the shelf behind Ronnie Barker in 'The Bargee'. Can't see what make, but someone will recognise it.

Edited by Derek R.

You'll love this one - I do!!

http://www.vintage-radio.com/recent-repairs/philco-a1.html

There's a nice set sitting on the shelf behind Ronnie Barker in 'The Bargee'. Can't see what make, but someone will recognise it.

That's rather nice , but it won't work off 12v.

It has inspired me to make a wireless with oak sides and elm bottom. I suppose I could caulk it up and black it and use it outside on the roof cos it wouldn't fit through the cabin doors.......

Wanders off to check valve stocks , oops , sorry, wrong forum.

I had a 1960 Roberts R200 on Maria for a while, but even that was 100 years too new.

Thinking a bit more , has anyone successfully managed to run an old mains set in their boat via a dedicated small inverter? All my tests resulted in massive interference from the inverter, though most wireless' worked .

Bill

It has inspired me to make a wireless with oak sides and elm bottom. I suppose I could caulk it up and black it and use it outside on the roof cos it wouldn't fit through the cabin doors.......

I had a 1960 Roberts R200 on Maria for a while, but even that was 100 years too new.

Thinking a bit more , has anyone successfully managed to run an old mains set in their boat via a dedicated small inverter? All my tests resulted in massive interference from the inverter, though most wireless' worked .

Bill

The main problem with mine is that it runs off a 90V battery, which can be made up with a series of PP3s, and a long extinct 3 volt that you can use a pair of D cells to make that up.

I stick to mains and have R200s on the boat, with a Rambler as back up, in case the cricket displaces the Archers, on LW.

Bill

I'd be inclined to contact some of the people in those links, they may just have such a solution. The inverter problem may be a case of sufficient shielding.

Derek

I'm hoping someone will come up with something like those little transmitters that allow you to use an MP3 player, in a car that only has an FM radio.

They already have, I will try to get some detials...

Arnot

• 2 months later...