LED replacements for Halogen lamps

Featured Posts

I wonder if anyone has experimented with replacing halogen lamps (or incandescent/filament types) with LED equivalents?

I am looking at replacing 10W G4 halogens (about 23 mm in length) with LEDs and find that whereas one halogen takes about 1a (0.833A to be exact) I can run a similar light output LED array with around 150mA (0.150A) which means eleven new LED lights for the same consumption as two of the halogens.

Not only that but the life of these new LED units is estimates at somewhere between 50,000 to 90,000 hrs (technology is improving) and because they have built-in regulators they are able to operate between 8 and 30v without damage. there's also the reality that as so little heat is generated this means that the enclosed lamps (in the void between shell and lining) using LEDs are inherently safer (and don't make rings when it snows :-)).

My only question has to be the quality of light and which of the many variants on offer work best in a narrowboat setting?

Anyone had a go at this? If so what has the result been and what have you plumped for in terms of colour and number of LEDS, etc?

Thanks,

V

I wonder if anyone has experimented with replacing halogen lamps (or incandescent/filament types) with LED equivalents?

I am looking at replacing 10W G4 halogens (about 23 mm in length) with LEDs and find that whereas one halogen takes about 1a (0.833A to be exact) I can run a similar light output LED array with around 150mA (0.150A) which means eleven new LED lights for the same consumption as two of the halogens.

Not only that but the life of these new LED units is estimates at somewhere between 50,000 to 90,000 hrs (technology is improving) and because they have built-in regulators they are able to operate between 8 and 30v without damage. there's also the reality that as so little heat is generated this means that the enclosed lamps (in the void between shell and lining) using LEDs are inherently safer (and don't make rings when it snows :-)).

My only question has to be the quality of light and which of the many variants on offer work best in a narrowboat setting?

Anyone had a go at this? If so what has the result been and what have you plumped for in terms of colour and number of LEDS, etc?

Thanks,

V

Yup we have replaced all our bulbs with LED equivalents. Our roof lights were lit by tungsten 21w Car bulbs. Now we can have all the boat lights on at the same time for less power consumed than one of the 21W bulbs.

We bought most of our bulbs from Bedazzled. We chose to use the warm white type as this gives a closer match to halogen and tungsten colour and find the cool white too white/blue.

http://www.bedazzled.uk.com/index.html

We bought most of our bulbs from Bedazzled. We chose to use the warm white type as this gives a closer match to halogen and tungsten colour and find the cool white too white/blue.

thats a great link,however, when trying to click on the canalboat images, spent far too long looking at the excellent Xanadu studios pics ,,,and time is of the essence , unless of course it isn't, like I keep on reminding myself :lol:

Thanks,

V

I have used flat round 12v 21 led G4 led's from puffer parts. I have fixed them into the brass round fittings which use car type 10w tubular lamps. I found the warm white leds work best, the blue light ones are too harsh for my traditional pine \ varnish finish but they may be good in a modern style boat.

Big advatage is they run cool and use so little battery power I think they are a winner all round.

Steve

Thanks,

V

Swaped all mine out with ones from http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/

I have used flat round 12v 21 led G4 led's from puffer parts. I have fixed them into the brass round fittings which use car type 10w tubular lamps. I found the warm white leds work best, the blue light ones are too harsh for my traditional pine \ varnish finish but they may be good in a modern style boat.

Big advatage is they run cool and use so little battery power I think they are a winner all round.

Steve

Yes we have changed most of our halagen for led think we got them from Leisure Power they are great use hardly any battery power, would agree to the warm white ones the ordinary white ones look like a mortuary Bren

Thanks for the link to the previous discussion. I had assumed there was one but nothing cam up when I searched for led!

Thanks for the comments - warm white it will be then :-) - LED's are obviously the way to go (might even opt for an LED headlight too!).

Might opt for the blue white in the kitchen area to avoid chopping fingers but will experiment.

Thanks,

Vic

Yup we have replaced all our bulbs with LED equivalents. Our roof lights were lit by tungsten 21w Car bulbs. Now we can have all the boat lights on at the same time for less power consumed than one of the 21W bulbs.

I've bought the LED lights from Bedazzled too but haven't fitted them yet - did you fit the little individual fuse things he recommends? That is the bit concerning me - I'm no good at DIY and while I could replace the bulbs with the LED units - I'm not at all sure about fitting the individual resetting fuse things! He told me that spikes in the electricity could shorten the lives of the LED's thus the recommendation of the other fuses.

Stickleback

I've bought the LED lights from Bedazzled too but haven't fitted them yet - did you fit the little individual fuse things he recommends? That is the bit concerning me - I'm no good at DIY and while I could replace the bulbs with the LED units - I'm not at all sure about fitting the individual resetting fuse things! He told me that spikes in the electricity could shorten the lives of the LED's thus the recommendation of the other fuses.

Stickleback

I fitted them. The principle seems reasonable to me and if it extends the LED life while protecting from voltage spikes then why not.