12V Radio/CD Player

Liam

Featured Posts

I'm looking for a small(ish) 12v FM radio and cd player which plugs directly into a 12v cigar lighter socket.

I've done a quick search on Google and found nothin... does anybody know if these are readily available to buy?

Thanks

I'm looking for a small(ish) 12v FM radio and cd player which plugs directly into a 12v cigar lighter socket.

I've done a quick search on Google and found nothin... does anybody know if these are readily available to buy?

Thanks

is a car stereo no good?

Thanks

You'll likely need to find one that has a 12V power supply, best go into Dixons and have a look aroundthe back of a few models.

Worth noting that car CD players are notoriously greedy on power.

Edited by Chris Pink

You'll likely need to find one that has a 12V power supply, best go into Dixons and have a look aroundthe back of a few models.

Worth noting that car CD players are notoriously greedy on power.

Currys, I think you mean! :lol:

I did this when I got my Hitachi DAB and learnt a lesson - remember to tell one of the staff what you're doing as it's a bit embarrassing when the anti-theft alarm goes off!

Problem with that is the need for an uninterrupted power supply for the memory. You would end up having to re tune every time it was unplugged.

I think that may depend on the unit. Some appear to have flash memory (or similar) and can remember their tuning for weeks if not months. When our power was disconnected for well over a month the Pioneer unit (don't know the model, it was fitted by the previous owner) retained all its presets.

Tony :lol:

A car stereo is the obvious idea but I'd prefer a unit with inbuilt speakers and with the car stereo you'd need seperate ones connecting. I'd also be putting the radio in the cupboard when I'd finished with it so the less mess with wirees/cables the better really.

I can't remember exactly what they did but a mate of mine had a 240v normal cd player which also ran from batteries. He took the back off and connected wiring from the optional battery connections to a cigar lighter connection. I know it's only 12v but is this safe and 'above board' ?

Thanks.

I can't remember exactly what they did but a mate of mine had a 240v normal cd player which also ran from batteries. He took the back off and connected wiring from the optional battery connections to a cigar lighter connection. I know it's only 12v but is this safe and 'above board' ?

Thanks.

I've done this before, to a sony ghetto blaster, put a wire into the battery terminals with a bit of wood the same size as the batteries to keep it in place and a croc clip on the negative.

Exactly what we have done with a portable radio/CD player/tape recorder that was surplus to requirements at home.

It was designed to be able to run off 12 volts worth of dry cells, (i.e. 8 * 1.5 volts), which get disconnected if you plug in a mains lead. I've just wired directly to where the dry batteries would go, (and added a low-value in-line fuse, to avoid meltdown, if something unexpected happens - 3 * 110Ah lead acid batteries can cause a better inferno than 8 x 'C' cells, I think.

That sounds like a simple solution then... but with knowing nothing about electrics, how would I go about doing it?

I can get hold of a 12v plug, and some 12v wire... how would I get this all connected up?

It would be an ideal solution for me as I have an 'old' cd player at home which I don't use which has an FM radio and tape deck.

Thanks.

That sounds like a simple solution then... but with knowing nothing about electrics, how would I go about doing it?

I can get hold of a 12v plug, and some 12v wire... how would I get this all connected up?

It would be an ideal solution for me as I have an 'old' cd player at home which I don't use which has an FM radio and tape deck.

Thanks.

In the battery compartment there are two contacts, a spring one (negative) and a knobbly one (positive).

The spring contact is easy, just wrap a bit of the negative wire around it, the tricky one is the knobbly one, hence my suggestion of jamming it in with a bit of wood the same size as the batteries.

Thanks

What to look for is something that runs from a DC supply ie one which needs an adapter/transformer to run from 240V AC. For example something like this

http://www.pure.com/products/product.asp?P...ategory=Kitchen

This runs from a 9V supply. You can buy a cheap power 12V- 9V converter that plugs into a cigar socket from Maplins. I have used a similar unit (one that will dock with an Ipod) on our boat it doesn't use much power doesn't lose its memory when disconnected.

Something like this is a suitable power converter.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48574

or (as it has some voltage regulation circuitry)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=37423

Edited by churchward

Thanks

I recently bought a small JVC hifi at a car boot sale, as well as mains it has a 12V in socket on the back (but we have 24V...) and an FM aerial socket, something which is essential where I live. The 12V socket is a bit weird, but I managed to find a plug to fit without buying a stupid proprietary lead. I think the model number was UX-H30, but JVC might do others that can run from 12V.

Thanks

Why not try a good chandlery???

We have an Alba AM/FM radio/CD player/clock at £44.95 or a Phillips DAB radio/CD player/MP3 player for £119.95, both working off 12v cigar lighter socket.

They are both either free standing or wall mountable, being only 3 1/2" deep and the speakers can be either attached to the sides of the main unit or mounted separately