Baldock gets a makeover

Featured Posts

Looks great, Chris, but does this mean you've joined the 'shiny boat brigade'?

No he's going to take up some muddy cut and get her gloopy !!

Or was that the car ?

Looking great :lol:

Where are the pics of your makeover? New clothes, facelift or the complete works we need to see the pics!

From what I've heard, he's still in negotiation with Simon Cowell about image rights ...

Looks great, Chris, but does this mean you've joined the 'shiny boat brigade'?

LOL wot us ! no hope .......

Postcode Posted Yesterday, 10:56 PM

The boat looks fantastic and you have really done justice to her.

But

Where are the pics of your makeover? New clothes, facelift or the complete works we need to see the pics!

This is a family forum !

Chrise / Lise

Having seen Baldock a few weeks back in her new shiney paint she looked excellent, but the sign writing and finishing touches absolutely set her off a treat,

Great work !! ( will have to get my T cut and polish out to try and make Lincoln be acceptable in your company now)

But bet you now spend a couple of hours a week with the wash and buffing her..

Cheers strads

Chrise / Lise

Having seen Baldock a few weeks back in her new shiney paint she looked excellent, but the sign writing and finishing touches absolutely set her off a treat,

Great work !! ( will have to get my T cut and polish out to try and make Lincoln be acceptable in your company now)

But bet you now spend a couple of hours a week with the wash and buffing her..

Cheers strads

Yeah right :lol:

No SWMBO says I have to get on with the internal refit now........

Looks great.

A question:- I'm doing our roof in a couple of weeks - where did you get the sanding discs and the 'large' wire wheel from?

There's some absolute cr*p for sale abrasives wise and you seemed to have sourced some decent gear.

Don't want to get set up for the weekend and find I run out of discs half way through.

Thanks

Mike

Looks great.

A question:- I'm doing our roof in a couple of weeks - where did you get the sanding discs and the 'large' wire wheel from?

There's some absolute cr*p for sale abrasives wise and you seemed to have sourced some decent gear.

Don't want to get set up for the weekend and find I run out of discs half way through.

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike

The sanding discs wee 6" on a Metabo random orbital, made under the trade name of " RhinoDiscs" purchased from my local automotive vehicle re finishers

I tend to use those sort of places for consumables ie discs/tape/tack rags as they are cheaper and usually of an acceptable quality

Wire cup brushes and the flap wheels came from B nd Q , they were ok....

We also found BnQ sold a brillo pad type wheel for the drill, this was really useful in the corner of roof to handrail to get it back to bare metal

On the roof we had to wire brush to loosen the rubberised paint, then attack it with 60 grit first, then onto 80 Grit and finishing flatting with 120 grit prior to first coats of primer

Hope this helps

Chris

Hi Mike

The sanding discs wee 6" on a Metabo random orbital, made under the trade name of " RhinoDiscs" purchased from my local automotive vehicle re finishers

I tend to use those sort of places for consumables ie discs/tape/tack rags as they are cheaper and usually of an acceptable quality

Wire cup brushes and the flap wheels came from B nd Q , they were ok....

We also found BnQ sold a brillo pad type wheel for the drill, this was really useful in the corner of roof to handrail to get it back to bare metal

On the roof we had to wire brush to loosen the rubberised paint, then attack it with 60 grit first, then onto 80 Grit and finishing flatting with 120 grit prior to first coats of primer

Hope this helps

Chris

Spot on thanks.

Never thought of auto re finishers before - got a couple fairly local.

B & Q shares will being going up again shortly!!! :lol:

Now then where can I buy those rivetty things like yours and what glue do I need to stick them on with? :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for the info.

Mike

Spot on thanks.

Never thought of auto re finishers before - got a couple fairly local.

B & Q shares will being going up again shortly!!! :lol:

Now then where can I buy those rivetty things like yours and what glue do I need to stick them on with? :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for the info.

Mike

Ours were hand made by the 7 sisters of the vestal virgins !!

as for glue thats easy, melt down in the following order

1 Steve Hudson boat

1 Mel Davis washer replica

1 R.W.Davis Northwich Trader

et al ...

To all those owners of tha above boats... I am only joking ;)

Except the owner of the SH boat that verbally abused me at Hopwas last year he can be melted down

She looks trooly, trooly gorgeous!

Well done to you all for all the hard work - Lise I think you need to rub the magic lamp in the back cabin and see if the BBF (Baldock Brassoo Fairy) comes to visit :lol:

I have to say with all that lovely traditional paintwork I thought for a minute those washers were rivets!

Silly me :lol:

Chris - you forgot to mention the special halfords panel attaching araldite for the "josher washers"... sets "hard" in 10 mins.. paint after 20....

and if you knock a few off you can make "spares" out the same but add in some metal filings so that they get that slightly rusty look after 6 months...

and as for the internal re-fit - you have 2 weeks off since the paint job !!! - whats the problem... swmbo is being reasonable i would suggest..

Chris - you forgot to mention the special halfords panel attaching araldite for the "josher washers"... sets "hard" in 10 mins.. paint after 20....

and if you knock a few off you can make "spares" out the same but add in some metal filings so that they get that slightly rusty look after 6 months...

and as for the internal re-fit - you have 2 weeks off since the paint job !!! - whats the problem... swmbo is being reasonable i would suggest..

I'll make you drink L***R for that mate........

Finally managed to keep my online connection going long enough to download all the pics :lol:

I really like it and think it looks fantastic - well done - what a fantastic paint team! :lol:

I reckon it looks almost as good as a . . .

. . . New Northwich Trader from R W Davis & Son Ltd.

Chris, Lise and all who help.

Wow what a fantastic job. Congratulations Baldock looks brilliant now and a true joy to grace the inland waterways of this country.

Does this mean that you are going to get the kitchen sorted out now? You were going to do it before you did your ribs... (I still think you were trying to get out of it..) :lol:

Tim And Sam.