So No Regrets and only egrets

Chagall

Featured Posts

Im dragging this thread back from Yawn! electric's....but thanks for the tips anyway...all duly noted

but what do you dislike about living aboard or miss from land life?

Garden to sit in privacy, space for visitors, workshop to play in.

But don't miss it enough to live ashore (yet)

Im dragging this thread back from Yawn! electric's....but thanks for the tips anyway...all duly noted

but what do you dislike about living aboard or miss from land life?

Garden; room to move around and not having to rearrange the place just to store things. I dislike the ever present rust moth.

Sue

Sue

People.

At home i live in a shared house in a small co-operative community with shared gardens at front and back. It's in the middle of a reasonably busy town on a fashionable street which is famously mentioned in tourist guide books and is the main route for push-bikes and walkers going into the town centre. Consequently i hardly ever see anyone for maybe 2 weeks at a time.

'Getting away from it all' for a week or so on my dad's boat there's constantly people all around on the towpath and cruising by on boats. It's constant, people all around all the bloody time!

Edited by Tom6

People.

At home i live in a shared house in a small co-operative community with shared gardens at front and back. It's in the middle of a reasonably busy town on a fashionable street which is famously mentioned in tourist guide books and is the main route for push-bikes and walkers going into the town centre. Consequently i hardly ever see anyone for maybe 2 weeks at a time.

'Getting away from it all' for a week or so on my dad's boat there's constantly people all around on the towpath and cruising by on boats. It's constant, people all around all the bloody time!

May i suggest a holiday to the moon :lol:

I guess i could sulk in the cabin rather than bouncing out to wave and say hi :lol:

The title of the thread is "... only egrets", is an egret a baby eagle?

Pot-holing might be a better recreation for you than boating, or single-handed circumnavigation of the globe. A young eagle is an eaglet; an egret is a heron.

Has anyone mentioned a good solar charging system?

Lisa misses most her bathtub. She liked to sit and soak.

oh great point! I too would miss a bathtub so Im putting one in...even though I know it takes gallons of water and I'd have to fill up the water tank often, its a small price to pay for me to soak at least once in a while....

Snipped..........

Yales are usually quite easy to slide open with some bendy bit of plastic. Ideally something a little thinner than a credit card but thicker than a big coke bottle but either of those often work, library cards or mobile top-up cards are ideal. I guess your thieves were either incompetent or your doors shut very snugly and the lock done properly, not the usual way houses have them.

Some years back when visiting home i noted that Dad had fitted a few drawing pins into the frame by the Yale catch (not quite fully pushed in).

This was suggested by some security expert to stop cards being slipped into the gap, they would get caught on the drawing pins!! very clever idea for nil cost, save half a dozen pins.

oh great point! I too would miss a bathtub so Im putting one in...even though I know it takes gallons of water and I'd have to fill up the water tank often, its a small price to pay for me to soak at least once in a while....

You'll be sorreeeeee! :lol:

Don't do it, it's not necessary and the water you'll use will be astronomical! :lol:

Roger

You'll be sorreeeeee! :lol:

Don't do it, it's not necessary and the water you'll use will be astronomical! :lol:

Roger

surely a bath wont take up more room than a shower if the shower is over, and yes the water might be astrowotsit but Im happy to keep filling the tank as and when, so other than that why would I be sorreeeeee! for any other reason that I don't know about?

I do try not use a bath in drought situations but if the UK cant organise the amount of rain we get into properly maintained reservoirs then Im darned if Im going to fret about it!

surely a bath wont take up more room than a shower if the shower is over, and yes the water might be astrowotsit but Im happy to keep filling the tank as and when, so other than that why would I be sorreeeeee! for any other reason that I don't know about?

I do try not use a bath in drought situations but if the UK cant organise the amount of rain we get into properly maintained reservoirs then Im darned if Im going to fret about it!

A bath will take more room than a dedicated shower whether it has a shower over or not. How much extra space will depend upon the size of bath you fit. If you choose one of the very small baths then, in many ways, I cannot see that you've gained that much having to sit in a cramped bath tub. If you fit a standard bath then it will use at least twice the floor space of a standard shower tray. You are, of course, perfectly within your rights to accept the water usage and keep topping up your tank but, given frequent baths, I think you may come to regret the decision. If you regret the decision and change to showers, using the shower over the bath, then you've wasted the floor space where part of the bath is.

I have no argument at all about your second paragraph.

Roger

A bath will take more room than a dedicated shower whether it has a shower over or not. How much extra space will depend upon the size of bath you fit. If you choose one of the very small baths then, in many ways, I cannot see that you've gained that much having to sit in a cramped bath tub. If you fit a standard bath then it will use at least twice the floor space of a standard shower tray. You are, of course, perfectly within your rights to accept the water usage and keep topping up your tank but, given frequent baths, I think you may come to regret the decision. If you regret the decision and change to showers, using the shower over the bath, then you've wasted the floor space where part of the bath is.

I have no argument at all about your second paragraph.

Roger

It shall be a small bath but adequate for my size and I don't intend to have frequent baths although why Im discussing my personal bathing routine is beyond me so I'll stop here..... I just wanted to know if there might be another reason that I hadn't thought about for not putting a bath in....but thanks for your comments...

interesting to note your use of the words "within your rights" and "argument" .....I wonder if its just the nature of forum posting that it seems to generate unnecessary elevated equines? I've been watching the 'dog' thread and folk seem mighty touchy?

A lock full of water is a bit more than a bathfull. By taking a bath and emptying it into the canal it could be argued that you're helping by topping up the canal a bit. Err, you don't use soap, bubble bath, shower gel do you? I guess a small amount might not hurt too much but a lot might harm the wildlife. The K&A is a bit weird in asking for each lock to be filled and emptied at each use, normally only half of that water is wasted. I like doubling up with boats, it's really nice working with another crew to see what i can learn from them to get the boats through faster. A couple of months ago we had a couple of really hot weeks and i was about ready to brave swimming in the canal but the next time i got to the boat the water was all iced over, so i didn't :lol:

Edited by Tom6

It shall be a small bath but adequate for my size and I don't intend to have frequent baths although why Im discussing my personal bathing routine is beyond me so I'll stop here..... I just wanted to know if there might be another reason that I hadn't thought about for not putting a bath in....but thanks for your comments...

interesting to note your use of the words "within your rights" and "argument" .....I wonder if its just the nature of forum posting that it seems to generate unnecessary elevated equines? I've been watching the 'dog' thread and folk seem mighty touchy?

LOL, your bathing habits are of no interest to me at all. Sniff, sniff :lol:

No, there is no other reason for not having a bath tub. I've just viewed those reduced/mini baths with wonderment asking why anyone would want to crunch themselves up in one of those when they miss lounging out full length in a conventional bath......there is a difference you know :lol:

You are spot on with your understanding of why I choose the words that I do. I find that only by carefully putting in conditional clauses that I can avoid perceived confrontation and there's too much of that in the real world without people getting on their high horses (like your 'elevated equines' BTW) here in the cyber-world. :lol:

Roger

LOL, your bathing habits are of no interest to me at all. Sniff, sniff :lol:

No, there is no other reason for not having a bath tub. I've just viewed those reduced/mini baths with wonderment asking why anyone would want to crunch themselves up in one of those when they miss lounging out full length in a conventional bath......there is a difference you know :lol:

hmm, but smaller baths means one can lean against the sloped back, legs straight out to the tap end and comfortably read without constantly sliding down into the depths and getting a soggy book!......and now you can imagine more than you probably need to ..... :lol: We nearly need to censor these comments, but I guess we might be providing some innocent fun to somebody... I'm all for that

A book that hasn't been soggy at a few points in it's life lacks a certain special magic.

People are ok, the dog likes them more than me, but working one side of a lock with the other crew on the other and maybe switch over on the other gates (depending on circumstances) feels great. All that rushing water and boat engine noise is a good excuse for avoiding unnecessary chatter. It's easier to appreciate someone's skill and kindness without words needing to be spoken as words only confuse the issue anyway.

A bathtub might be a good reason to have an extra large water tank if you are building from scratch. What do our experts think about that? An extra 50 gallons of water would weigh about 190kg. The extra weight shouldn't effect the boat in negative ways. You might need a larger water heater too, depending on how you heat you water. Good to hear that you do bathe even if its standing up.