propulsion problem

Featured Posts

hello people

i got a problem with propulsion, prior to starting my engine i do the usual checks ie water coolant and engine oil etc, engine starts fine

and am on my way, when i come to a lock or lift bridge and i put the throtle to neutril or go astern then neutril thats ok but then when i throtle to go ahead

the engine stops, the engine starts ok when i get this 'stall' and eventually it does go ahead til i put the lever to neutril again,

today i was making my way back to the marina when the engine just stopped i put the lever to nuetril then start the engine no probs, operate astern propulsion ok but stalls every time i want to go ahead.... i did manage to pull the boat back to the marina but all i have is astern propulsion

the engine is a 3 cylinder beta marine...... any ideas as to what the problem mat be? Roy

yes i did check prop through weed hatch that was the first thing i did but the problem still there

think am going to have to get the marina engineer in

When we got the mattress last year it b**gered the drive plate which developed your problem. Even after we cut the mattress off the engine would stall if we went into forward gear.

If you're confident and want to save some pennies it might be worth getting the gearbox off to have a shuftie.

yes i did check prop through weed hatch that was the first thing i did but the problem still there

think am going to have to get the marina engineer in

Before you do it may just be worth making sure the tank breather is not blocked and if you know how to bleed the fuel system change/clean the water traps (if any) & filter. Also try blowing back down the supply pipe into the tank.

There is a faint chance this could be something restricting the fuel flow which can be overcome by the lift pump when running at some speed abut can not supply the extra fuel needed to rev the engine. The not doing it in reverse thing just might be time related.

Its a very long shot, but if you can do it probably worth a try.

Loose morse cable perhaps?

I thought that it maybe a loose cable or ajustment... the machanic at the marina did not think so, will have to wait til engineer looks at it

will let you know what the outcome is on the forum roy

I thought that it maybe a loose cable or ajustment... the machanic at the marina did not think so, will have to wait til engineer looks at it

will let you know what the outcome is on the forum roy

It's possibly a hydraulic fault which is putting the box in ahead and astern simultaneously, which will lock the box and stall the engine.

MP.

It's possibly a hydraulic fault which is putting the box in ahead and astern simultaneously, which will lock the box and stall the engine.

MP.

Yes i think its something to do with hydraulics..... will this mean taking the gearbox out to fix it!