Problems using '3' Mobile Internet Dongle on Last Trip

Featured Posts

We have had good results up until now with our '3' dongle. (Huawei E220 HSDPA USB Modem).

However on the trip we have just returned from, we got very poor results, both in London, and at most locations on the River Lee.

Sometimes the modem would connect with an apparently good HSDPA connection, (all "bars" showing), but would then disconnect. I could put that down to poor signal.

But at other times I appeared to have a rock solid connection, ("all bars" again), but still got page load errors when actually trying to access the Internet.

I was starting to conclude that the dongle is knackered, but a reasonable service resumed at about Kings Langley.

What am I missing ? If it reports a good connection, should I not be able to connect ?

Any ideas please.

This dongle does not support an external antenna, and, I must admit, that on this occasion I had not gone with enough USB extension to put it out on the roof when it was misbehaving.

The end result is having paid for a load of credit that I'll now not use before it expires. :lol:

Alan

(Being honest this dongle did end up in the cut on a previous trip - no indications that this caused a problem, but it's possible, I suppose. :lol: )

We have had good results up until now with our '3' dongle. (Huawei E220 HSDPA USB Modem).

However on the trip we have just returned from, we got very poor results, both in London, and at most locations on the River Lee.

Sometimes the modem would connect with an apparently good HSDPA connection, (all "bars" showing), but would then disconnect. I could put that down to poor signal.

But at other times I appeared to have a rock solid connection, ("all bars" again), but still got page load errors when actually trying to access the Internet.

I was starting to conclude that the dongle is knackered, but a reasonable service resumed at about Kings Langley.

What am I missing ? If it reports a good connection, should I not be able to connect ?

Any ideas please.

This dongle does not support an external antenna, and, I must admit, that on this occasion I had not gone with enough USB extension to put it out on the roof when it was misbehaving.

The end result is having paid for a load of credit that I'll now not use before it expires. :lol:

Alan

(Being honest this dongle did end up in the cut on a previous trip - no indications that this caused a problem, but it's possible, I suppose. :lol: )

I think this is a "3" problem, I had the same thing about 6 weeks ago, it lasted for about 4 days and then suddenly back to normal. I also found that time of day had an effect, it improved late at night. I think that maybe 3 had more traffic than they could handle

We've been having problems with our older Vodafone dongle not updating on the network on this trip, meaning that even when 3G is available, we can only get 2G. The only solution (apart from calling them and getting them to do a manual update), is to put the sim in a phone (that's on the same network or one that is unlocked ) then manually connect it to another network (if it;s not an unlocked phone, it will say emergency services only), then set it back to Vodafone, then put the sim back in the dongle. This does seem to work but is such a pain.

'3''s OK oop north! Last week using Speedtest.net I actually clocked the full 3.2Mbps download speed! I was amazed!!

Mind you, I'm only getting 0.27Mbps tonight!! :lol:

Any ideas please.

I had great problems with a 3 dongle initially until I reinstalled the software. This time a newer version was downloaded and this has been, so far, trouble free. Are you sure you’re running the latest version? Just a thought.

I had great problems with a 3 dongle initially until I reinstalled the software. This time a newer version was downloaded and this has been, so far, trouble free. Are you sure you’re running the latest version? Just a thought.

Slightly intrigued here.

My software is contained on the dongle itself, and I'm not aware it downloads anything extra at install time.

I don't recall any option to get an updated version, (or to update what is stored on the dongle).

But then there is bu**er all useful documentation.

Am I missing something ?

Also.....

I note it came with a "funny" cable that has the small USB plug that goes into the dongle, but has two standard USB plugs, one of which has a sticker on saying "assistant power". There is no mention of this in the notes, but I wonder does it need both USB plugs connected to the computer to derive enough power to run the dongle reliably ?

The curious thing is that what is shown in the manual doesn't have this extra plug - just a single USB one for the computer. That's all I've been using, but perhaps I'm supposed to used the mysterious "assistant power" one ?

I note it came with a "funny" cable that has the small USB plug that goes into the dongle, but has two standard USB plugs, one of which has a sticker on saying "assistant power".

Alan, It sounds like you've got an early generation dongle. Why don't you get a new one from 3dongle4free. It will only cost you £4.95 for P&P! //Mike

Alan, It sounds like you've got an early generation dongle. Why don't you get a new one from 3dongle4free. It will only cost you £4.95 for P&P! //Mike

Its the same one as I have got, Got it because it has an aerial socket on the back but never bothered to get a lead for it. I have just got the freebie and I intend to compare them, but as the signal at home is almost none existent it will have to wait.

The next question is what do I do next month when my 12 month contract is up.

a Go PAYG, I may save a couple of months in the year

b Buy a package for 12 months for the price of 10 and get another Dongel.

c Carry on paying £10 a month (most expensive)

d Try and do a deal with 3

Here is the question that many people will be thinking --- How do you download the latest software? tosher.

I note it came with a "funny" cable that has the small USB plug that goes into the dongle, but has two standard USB plugs, one of which has a sticker on saying "assistant power". There is no mention of this in the notes, but I wonder does it need both USB plugs connected to the computer to derive enough power to run the dongle reliably ?

Hi Alan, mine was a bit iffy to start with, but having read on here about performance being assisted by the dongle being outside the boat I purchased a 5 metre USB extension lead from our local computer shop. This turned out to be of the "active" variety and this definitely improves performance both inside or out.

regards

David

I`m having the same problem at the min on T modile moored in Reading all bars good on connection but every time i post a comment (like now),,,after posting i will have to disconnect and then reconnect otherwise i sit here and find out after a few minutes i get an error message,does not mater how many times i try the "try again" button i have to disconnect and reconnect

Slightly intrigued here.

My software is contained on the dongle itself, and I'm not aware it downloads anything extra at install time.

I don't recall any option to get an updated version, (or to update what is stored on the dongle).

But then there is bu**er all useful documentation.

Am I missing something ?

I uninstalled the software and when I re-installed it (from the dongle itself) it connected itself to the internet and downloaded a large update file. As I said, this seemed to cure the problem.

I uninstalled the software and when I re-installed it (from the dongle itself) it connected itself to the internet and downloaded a large update file. As I said, this seemed to cure the problem.

OK, thanks,

I might try that then before my remaining credit expires.

Alan

have just spoke with t mobile about same sort of problem and it has transpired it is my anti virus that seems to be the culprit try turning it off if you have one (norton seems to be the worst for it)and turn firewall off and then try to connect,worked for me

Did for a while now gone terminal 5 again :lol: :lol:

I've been having a similar problem with my Vodafone dongle.

Bank Holiday Saturday it kicked me off half way through my intended use and wouldn't reconnect - I kept getting an error message all over the rest of the wekend. Got home Monday evening, called Vodafone but their technical department had closed.

Spent 40 minutes plus on the phone to them on Tuesday evening, trying several different tricks. They gave me a less elegant workaround and promised to call back later in the week. 7 days later and I'm still waiting.

Wednesday morning and I thought I'd try a system restore to the previous restore point before Sunday (which happened to be an AVG virus update). Did that and the Dongle worked OK afterwards.

Had problems again last night when we got back from the boat but this time with both the home based wireless connection and the dongle. Another restore cured that problem although I've just been kicked off again and am having to resort to the home wireless connection once again but I've put that down to network usage.

I have noticed recently when using the dongle that AVG fails to update automatically - I think it regularly updated until last weekend.

So I now wonder if anti virus software is also causing my problem.

Any computer techie's around?

I have noticed recently when using the dongle that AVG fails to update automatically - I think it regularly updated until last weekend.

I turn my auto AVG updates off when using the dongle so as not to clog up with large downloads on a slow connection.

I've been having a similar problem with my Vodafone dongle.

Bank Holiday Saturday it kicked me off half way through my intended use and wouldn't reconnect - I kept getting an error message all over the rest of the wekend. Got home Monday evening, called Vodafone but their technical department had closed.

Spent 40 minutes plus on the phone to them on Tuesday evening, trying several different tricks. They gave me a less elegant workaround and promised to call back later in the week. 7 days later and I'm still waiting.

Wednesday morning and I thought I'd try a system restore to the previous restore point before Sunday (which happened to be an AVG virus update). Did that and the Dongle worked OK afterwards.

Had problems again last night when we got back from the boat but this time with both the home based wireless connection and the dongle. Another restore cured that problem although I've just been kicked off again and am having to resort to the home wireless connection once again but I've put that down to network usage.

We had problems with AVG and the dongles, get rid of it! I am now using Avast - which is quite apt for boaters! Shame their service to you was poor - I called them on Bank Hol Monday and got my problem sorted easily.

Edited by Lady Muck

We had problems with AVG and the dongles, get rid of it! I am now using Avast - which is quite apt for boaters! Shame their service to you was poor - I called them on Bank Hol Monday and got my problem sorted easily.

I am using Avast and the E220 dongle and it seems quite steady / reliable, although download speeds seem quite slow at generally around 25 to 75 kbps and usually in HSDPA3 mode with nearly full strength signal - seems to work ok with e-mails but any pictures seem slow to come down...

Nick