Attacked on the River Avon

Cris P

Featured Posts

I ran into trouble yesterday at the first lock going up to Bath. I guess I must have been naive to think I was immune to an attack, but we had the nasty experience of foulmouthed 12-14 year olds flinging stones and abuse at us. No injuries or damage though.

I ran into trouble yesterday at the first lock going up to Bath. I guess I must have been naive to think I was immune to an attack, but  we had the nasty experience of foulmouthed  12-14 year olds flinging stones and abuse at us. No injuries or damage though.

What you need is some of these babies. The answer

Edited by maffi mushkila

Are we supposed to report these incidents to the police?

I know it probably won't make the blindest bit of difference, but at least then it would add to the statistics of 'potentially' violent crime.

Yes it does make a difference. If the authorities don't know there is a problem then they will do nothing to stop it.

See here TOWPATH TALK

Are we supposed to report these incidents to the police?

I know it probably won't make the blindest bit of difference, but at least then it would add to the statistics of 'potentially' violent crime.

:P

28273[/snapback]

The incident should also be reported to BW they have an incident report form on their website.

http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/images/v..._tcm6-97491.pdf

Edited by bottle

Aren't we getting a bit paranoic here, we are talking about some bad language and a few stones with no injury and no damage. Upsetting yes, possibly distressing at the time, but no more so than the innumerable times my life is threatened every day by inconsiderate and dangerous driving. When was the last time you reported that sort of incident to the police?

Things need to be put into perspective, and as for your suggestion Maffi - I would keep very quiet, that sort of observation could cause you to be arrested and charged for inciting violence.

I agree with David all this is very much exaggerated, a small crowd of noisy boisterous kids can be very intimidating, but no real damage done. Would the police take any kind of action anyway, if it means getting out of the car and walking 100 yards along the towpath I think they would find something more important to do.

The problem with the increasing level of yob behavior is that if you dismiss it the authorities think it doesn't exist. And it may be a couple of pebbles today, but half a brick tomorrow.

Look at what has happened in Kidderminster - that started with the odd bit of bad language, now it is a serious problem, basically because it was allowed to escalate.

The experience here may be an isolated incident - in which case it's not worth getting too excited about, but maybe the next boat had the same treatment, and the one after.............

I would certainly make sure it is reported on the BW incident form, and ideally report it to the police as well - and make sure you get a crime number so it is recorded.

Narrowboats are increasingly becoming an easy target, and the word is spreading that you can drop things on boats because they can't do anything about it. If it doesn't get recognised as a problem, things will only get worse.

I agree with Dor, if it is not reported it did not happen, any incident no matter how small should be reported to BW at least.

Get the problem nipped in the bud and it will reduce the problem, the jungle telegraph will soon pas on the message, don't mess with boaters.

Aren't we getting a bit paranoic here, we are talking about some bad language and a few stones with no injury and no damage. Upsetting yes, possibly distressing at the time,  but no more so than the innumerable times my life is threatened every day by inconsiderate and dangerous driving. When was the last time you reported that sort of incident to the police?

Things need to be put into perspective, and as for your suggestion Maffi - I would keep very quiet,  that sort of observation could cause you to be arrested and charged for inciting violence.

28288[/snapback]

David

Boaters complained for long enough to BW about their lack of action regarding bandits, (I use this terminology to cover all disruptive people on the cut) now you are advocating not to use the system they have implemented, come on make your mind up whats it to be. Let BW be the judge as to the severity of the incidence and act accordingly. Not to notify them leaves them to think that all is fine, when it clearly it is not.

As for Maffi's input, David have you had a SOH by pass. Lighten up and chill a little.

Edited by Big COL

Well I definitely think you should report it, both to BW and to Avon & Somerset police. If you don't report anti-social behaviour, then the authorities will say that there is no problem and - as mentioned earlier - 'minor' bad behaviour will, if left unchecked, lead to major bad behaviour.

For my part, I don't consider being stoned, abused, spat upon or urinated upon to be trivial behaviour that we should tolerate as 'boys will be boys'.

David

Boaters complained for long enough to BW about their lack of action regarding bandits,  (I use this terminology to cover all disruptive people on the cut) now you are advocating not to use the system they have implemented, come on make your mind up whats it to be. Let BW be the judge as to the severity of the incidence and act accordingly. Not to notify them leaves them to think that all is fine, when it clearly it is not.

As for Maffi's input, David have you had a SOH by pass. Lighten up and chill a little.

28299[/snapback]

No COL, Some boaters have complained, others will confront the young people themselves about their behavior. BW have no legal juristiction over acts of hostility towards members of the public so what will they be making a judgement about, and if they do what can the legally do about it. These sort of incidents happen all the time all over the country not just on the canals, and if more adults had the courage or conviction to challenge young people who behave in an anti social; manner wherever it happens, rather than turn away and moan to someone else, then maybe it wouldn't happen quite so frequently.

I have experienced similar situations on and off the canal and have never felt any worries about dealing with it myself in a non-aggressive manner and I have never been attacked as a consequnce. The trouble is that too many adults are frightened of what are usually children, desperately seeking attention from adults who consistently ignore them. I would be very interested to know how many contributors to the anti vandal bridade who are so vocal on this forum, have ever done anything constructive to help develope the lives of these often deprived youngsters.

yeah great idea, you could retaliate and then get arrested hmm great one.

I don't think it is worth it.

Normally we will phone the Police if anything bigger thasn pebbles being thrown happens so the police know but it is stupid to retaliate, maybe we will have to come and see you in hospital when the stupid little low lifes have beaten you up.

Hi folks,

Your starter for 10

"And will you say sorry for interupting the fisherman who is fishing on the lock holding point, or on the 24 hour moorings, or off the end of your boat? Or the one whose hook gets gaught in your rope? or the one whose catapult fires maggots all over you. Or the one who runs up the towpath and stands by the lock threatening to punch you in the face for going past him (hiding in the undergrowth)? All these things have hapened to me and the last thought in my head was to say sorry for interupting them!! Believe me they won't say sorry to you for disturbing your pastime."

Who wrote the above, in what thread?

Your bonus question:

In what way is the behaviour described any less boistrous than that of the youngsters described and therefore any less acceptable?

Any behaviour that is aggressive and threatening and involves violence of any kind should never be excused or rationalised. It should be reported both to BW and the Police and insist the Police give you a crime number, that is the only way the incident will be recorded as an official statistic.

JMO

Len

Tell that to the relatives of innocent people who are no longer with us because they challenged yobs and their antisocial behaviour.

Trouble is if we all turn a blind eye because of fear then we really are in trouble. The yobs will just know they can do what they like without any sort of come back. I'd be interested to know if the yobs tend to pick on a specific type of person (not meaning to stereotype) such as an age group or if they feel anyone is fair game.

I've never encountered any problems and have passed my fair share of groups you think might want to try something. Perhaps I've just been lucky. The fact is, if anyone starts lobbing stones at me and my family there is no way I am just going to stand there and take it.

Paul, I would say, even though we have had trouble before, most yobs would attack the older people due to the fact that us younger guys might go and kick their asses -> not that I would though. Don;t want to end up being stabbed or something.

To be honest I normally just take flash photos of them which scares the poop out of them.

I have to say I have had more problems with fisherman (see previous post) than with so called yobs. Most as has been said are groups of young children who want attention from adults that they doin't get from parents.

The most irritating kind of fisherman are those that set up in places that they shouldn't - i.e. where signs say no fishing, 24 hour moorings etc. These people have often got abusive when asked to move on and in some cases out right refused -AGGRESSIVELY.

We had a potentially nasty group on the Delph 9, by chatting to them and treating them as humans rather than sub-human - okay so they could barely string 2 words together but...

Then there is the worst kind of person on the cut, the boat owner who hates hire boaters. Friendly advice is fine chaps, but nasty or rude words should not be used. Tone of voice also helps. These people are the worst kind of canal user and leave a very sour taste in the mouth. You do not own the cut, and need to remember if it wasn't for the hire boaters, the canals probably wouldn't exist now!!!

However the majority of cut users are lovely people - there is just the odd (odd here means occasional and wierd) nasty person - although these people are increasing...

:unsure:

Edited by Webchem

Then there is the worst kind of person on the cut, the boat owner who hates hire boaters. Friendly advice is fine chaps, but nasty or rude words should not be used. Tone of voice also helps. These people are the worst kind of canal user and leave a very sour taste in the mouth. You do not own the cut, and need to remember if it wasn't for the hire boaters, the canals probably wouldn't exist now!!!

However the majority of cut users are lovely people - there is just the odd (odd here means occasional and wierd) nasty person - although these people are increasing...

28363[/snapback]

Luckily I think they are few and far between at the moment but I agree are slowly on the increase. To be honest I think it just comes down to snobbery. Its like the guy who thinks he owns the road because he has a big flash car.

I do usually seem to meet an anti hire boat type at least once on each trip. I do rather enjoy it though when one says something like "yes, well we're not on a hire boat. We own ours you know" to which I reply, "yes, well this is just one of the 12 my family own". It is amazing the change in attitude towards you as, in their eyes, you are suddenly one of them. The people who annoy me most are those who blatently ignore you even though you've said hello.

I guess meeting only one rude person on a weeks trip, no matter what boat they are on, is pretty good going when I think of how many I meet travel to work each day !

Sam - I agree that cameras make effective weapons against yobs (although you have to be fairly acurate when you throw them. Just kidding). Its what camera phones were made for eh?

I must be on a different part of the cut.

The fishermen I have come across this year (even the ones in competitions) have been nothing but pleasant. Even the odd one fishing at the lock mouth has moved aside on a friendly word. Why is it the line of fishermen always appears when you are wanting to get on? So it is a case of going passed them in the middle of the canal at minimum speed. It what they ask for, it's not too difficult.

Youngsters, yep seen them hiding on the bridge with the handful of stones, a wave and a light word before you get there works wonders. I have tried to greet each situation with a smile and a good word - not a shout or harsh word, nor threatening them with a camera. However, that is to hand under cover.

At Loughborough I came across a large group of teenagers hanging about by one of the bridges. I then noticed one of their number up to his neck in the water - OK at this point I was thinking the worst.

They waved me through after I had stopped and as I slowly drifted passed they explained that it was a good dumping point for stolen bikes and they were seeing what could be rescued. A good service all round, although the young one in the water found it was much colder than he had first thought.

Some older folk (I'm 53) seem to have a problem when groups of youngsters congregate together and this can influence how they approach the situation. I guess being married to a teacher who works with the Gypsy community is a help. I often wonder - if you into a situation expecting trouble that is exactly what you will get.