We were spotted out and about

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

For those completely uninitiated in the customs of AWBs, can you please explain why it is considered such bad form ?

Thanks!

To be fair, like Phylis says, it is bad seamanship.

The only bumping into things you'll be doing, on lumpy water, is at moorings (or the bump is going to be so bad that fenders are not going to save you).

If negotiating wide locks, in a fibreglass boat, my fenders would be down, too.

Edited for translation into english.

Edited by carlt

The less work you have to do the more drinking time you have, therefore leaving fenders down = more beer.

But surely with the new regs that are coming in you wont be drinking alcohol whilst moving will you? :lol:

So you would support anyone who believes the continuous cruising laws are a farce?

No.

Editted to add:

I dont expect support. This is my own personal opinion on this topic. I for one shall not be refraining from drinking whilst on the boat.

Edited by Phylis

No.

Editted to add:

I dont expect support. This is my own personal opinion on this topic. I for one shall not be refraining from drinking whilst on the boat.

So you believe that it is okay to pick and choose the laws you obey and those you break?

There are written terms that clearly state a leisure mooring can not and should not be used as a residential moorings. Anybody doing so is breaching the terms of their contract. How this should be policed i dont know but the rules are there to be followed.

Or does this only apply to the rules that people want it to?

Edited by carlt

I'm sorry, but on my Norman 20, and especially on the Yeoman 16 and the FAME Concorde 15; the last thing you want to do is leave the cockpit on a still canal let alone a river, so my fenders were put on when I got the boat and stayed there until I sold it or pulled it out on the trailer. It was a matter of safety, I don't see what the problem is??

The less work you have to do the more drinking time you have, therefore leaving fenders down = more beer.

Roping up in locks is a pain. You do have to work on the lasoo technique :lol:

The lock keeper at Boulters gave me a lesson. Works every time!

Nick

I most certainly will. Who is going to enforce this new farce of a regulation?

That will be good

First accident you have, even if its not your fault, breathalyser and if you are over the limit it will instantly become your fault!

Do you drink and drive a car?

The lock keeper at Boulters gave me a lesson. Works every time!

Nick

Better without ropes in a lock; once went up Wigan in the Norman 20 with 20hp, plenty of power, held it on the wall at the bottom of the lock with the engine, both ground and gate paddles right up from the bottom of the lock, 2.5 hours bottom to top, no ropes, no damage, no hassle.

Small boat, plenty of power, ropes take time and can be dangerous if they get snagged.

Only my opinion.

Better without ropes in a lock; once went up Wigan in the Norman 20 with 20hp, plenty of power, held it on the wall at the bottom of the lock with the engine, both ground and gate paddles right up from the bottom of the lock, 2.5 hours bottom to top, no ropes, no damage, no hassle.

Small boat, plenty of power, ropes take time and can be dangerous if they get snagged.

Only my opinion.

When the canopy is off we use the boat hook to hold her against the lock wall against a ladder. Not so easy with the canopy on, hence i end up working the lock and checking the ropes.

That will be good

First accident you have, even if its not your fault, breathalyser and if you are over the limit it will instantly become your fault!

Do you drink and drive a car?

I limit myself to a couple of pints when in the car.

How many boating accidents have you seen which have involved the police?

When the canopy is off we use the boat hook to hold her against the lock wall against a ladder. Not so easy with the canopy on, hence i end up working the lock and checking the ropes.

I limit myself to a couple of pints when in the car.

How many boating accidents have you seen which have involved the police?

:lol: Hi Phylis

Dont you always wind em up girl.......good on ya. Now to give us all a laugh tell us how much you spent on a bit of plastic not much longer than a car.......go on be a sport.............. :lol::lol:

:lol: Hi Phylis

Dont you always wind em up girl.......good on ya. Now to give us all a laugh tell us how much you spent on a bit of plastic not much longer than a car.......go on be a sport.............. :lol::lol:

If you mean how much did i pay for it. £38k fully serviced, valeted and antifouled, full tank of diesel and any issues the survey through up fixed.

Not a bad deal in my eyes :lol:

If you mean how much did i pay for it. £38k fully serviced, valeted and antifouled, full tank of diesel and any issues the survey through up fixed.

Not a bad deal in my eyes :lol:

I still think GRP gives better value than steel, especially as you've no hull maintainance afterwards, but I personally have never spent more than £1000 on a boat. The last one we had cost just over £3000 but my wife bought that, not me!! My running costs of my few-hundred-pound sailing dinghy are £32 a year insurance and £155 club membership/storage in a locked compound so much cheaper than the many hundreds BW want these days.

Edit: Oh and about £20 a year on paint - it's wood!!

Edited by GRPCruiserman

I still think GRP gives better value than steel, especially as you've no hull maintainance afterwards, but I personally have never spent more than £1000 on a boat. The last one we had cost just over £3000 but my wife bought that, not me!! My running costs of my few-hundred-pound sailing dinghy are £32 a year insurance and £155 club membership/storage in a locked compound so much cheaper than the many hundreds BW want these days.

Edit: Oh and about £20 a year on paint - it's wood!!

Not strictly true. It does have to come out for jet washing and antifouling every now and again. Then you may as well polish it as well

Edited by Phylis