Missing Boat

Liam

Featured Posts

Several good books cover the early days of the IWA from various perspectives. Race Against Time, David Bolton; Rolt's Landscape With Canals; even if The River Runs Uphill by Aickman himself has a little selective memory syndrome involved.

And of course One Man and his Narrow Boat (Fruit Flies Like A Banana) by Steve Haywood covers the gritty conflicts between Tom and Robert too, from a contemporary point of view.

Taurus has always struggled to get through Hurleston and one of locks at Tardebigge (near the top but can't remember which one) I remember Derek used to keep a winch on board for the purpose of getting her free when she stuck. Saturn and Forget Me Not + the 3 motors rarely had problems when I worked for Peter as far as I can remember.

In case this thread turns a bit funny in a few days... just to clarify that the original email that I received was forwarded to several people down the line... one of my contacts has emailed it to me and I chose to post it here.

I have no further knowledge of the missing boat apart from the email which I've copied here, and to my knowledge, the original sender of the email has no idea that I have started this thread.

If anyone wants to find out anything more then I suggest that the person named in the email is contacted and that we don't speculate about anything before we know for certain.

Ta :lol:

Taurus has always struggled to get through Hurleston and one of locks at Tardebigge (near the top but can't remember which one) I remember Derek used to keep a winch on board for the purpose of getting her free when she stuck. Saturn and Forget Me Not + the 3 motors rarely had problems when I worked for Peter as far as I can remember.

In Peter Froud's time that was the original Taurus (Midland & Coast/Joshers butty, aka Turtle). I don't remember particular trouble at Hurleston, I must admit it would be much more likely with Derek's 'new' Taurus (Crater) though.

Forget-me-not used to have a beam of about 7' 2.5", Peter made the decision to rebuild her with a narrower beam (about 7') when he knew that Hurleston bottom lock was to be widened, that was circa 1978 I think, so that Mabel & Forget-me-not could work regularly on the Welsh cut. She needed major work or replacement anyway. It's clear that the lock has 'come in' again since then.

Prior to that Hotel Boat trips up there had been limited to occasional forays with Jupiter & Saturn, but Jupiter (Hawk) always struggled with draught. Mabel on the other hand would 'float on a damp tea-towel' so they made a very good pair for that canal after both lock and butty had been 'adjusted'.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

I notice that in the OP Meteor is described as having Boating for All still written on the back cabin. We have had no interest in this boat since we sold it and towed it to Aldridge for the new owners in June 2006. There is a chance that it has gone for scrap which would be a tragedy. Regards, HughC. Boating for All

As far as I am aware the last boats to pass through the K&A were five or six Small Northich motors, amongst them Antlia, Clypeus, and Pisces. I have seen a copy of the original orders from the British Transport Commission(Waterways) authorising the canal to be opened for passage from the Thames and through to Gloucester. Interestingly the letter which is typed lists four or five boats, and then in handwriting someone has added "also Water Sprite (formerly Pisces) "

The letter is in the possession of the owner of Antlia, assuming she still has the same owner.

"authorising the canal to be opened for passage from the Thames and through to Gloucester."

They ****ed up severely with the restoration then. It now goes to Bristol.

Taurus has always struggled to get through Hurleston

In Peter Froud's time that was the original Taurus (Midland & Coast/Joshers butty, aka Turtle). I don't remember particular trouble at Hurleston, I must admit it would be much more likely with Derek's 'new' Taurus (Crater) though.

IIRC, new Taurus was introduced as a replacement in 1994.

IIRC, new Taurus was introduced as a replacement in 1994.

I could check through my work diaries for the year we did the steelwork, but I haven't kept every one and anyway they're 'well buried' so I can't be bothered :lol:

Tim

"authorising the canal to be opened for passage from the Thames and through to Gloucester."

They ****ed up severely with the restoration then. It now goes to Bristol.

The Authorization was for the K&A, which was closed for navigation, to be opened in order that a passage from the Thames could be made using the the K&A plus the river Avon, the river Severn, and the Gloucester & Shaprness canal. all of which were open for navigation.

By the way, I realise that your comment was probably intended to be to be funny, but for it to work, it is a good idea to get your facts right. The K&A Canal does not go to Bristol it finishes at Bath. From there onwards it is the River Avon which takes you to Bristol, BW manage the section from Bath to Hanham, and from there, the Port of Bristol Authority has responsibility.

Edited by David Schweizer

I could check through my work diaries for the year we did the steelwork, but I haven't kept every one and anyway they're 'well buried' so I can't be bothered :lol:

Tim

I read it in the book, Precious Cargos by Robin Smithett

Is the original Taurus still a liveaboard, up the Shroppie?

The original Snipe was at Brinklow at Easter.

The Authorization was for the K&A, which was closed for navigation, to be opened in order that a passage from the Thames could be made using the the K&A plus the river Avon, the river Severn, and the Gloucester & Shaprness canal. all of which were open for navigation.

By the way, I realise that your comment was probably intended to be to be funny, but for it to work, it is a good idea to get your facts right. The K&A Canal does not go to Bristol it finishes at Bath. From there onwards it is the River Avon which takes you to Bristol, BW manage the section from Bath to Hanham, and from there, the Port of Bristol Authority has responsibility.

How rude, pompous and arrogant. Get your bloody facts right. You stated that BW opened up the K&A to Gloucester. And the K&A canal does not join the Thames to the Bristol Avon, it joins the Kennet Navigation form Newbury to Bath if you really want to be so pointlessly pedantic.

I'm sorry if my joke exposed you for being the bore you apparently are, although you didn't need to compound the felony with such an asinine humourless response.

How rude, pompous and arrogant. Get your bloody facts right. You stated that BW opened up the K&A to Gloucester. And the K&A canal does not join the Thames to the Bristol Avon, it joins the Kennet Navigation form Newbury to Bath if you really want to be so pointlessly pedantic.

I'm sorry if my joke exposed you for being the bore you apparently are, although you didn't need to compound the felony with such an asinine humourless response.

dasboot kicks off :lol:

Im heading for cover in our new small wheelie bin :lol: YIPEEEEEE

Such a nice polite new member, welcome :lol:

Not the best way to start off on a forum. David has provided, as far as I can see, and as far as my knowldge of that waterways extends to, valid information.

If you disagree with something which has been said on the forum, whether rightly or wrongly, there are ways to go about it. Yours isn't one of them.

Liam.

Well OK, that's fine. Like I said I have no idea about the waterways down there. What I meant to say is, that if you don't agree with somebody, there's a right way, and a wrong way, of telling somebody that. Dasboot did it the wrong way :lol:

Cheer up!

Before the Thread degenerates in to a slanging match of what, when, how and where the K&A goes, was built, and what was the name of the spotty dog who lived by the tunnel........

Does anyone know where Meteor is? Has the said boat butty been found yet?

Edited cos I called it a boat and its not, its a butty and I don't want to get shouted at.

Edited by Proper Job

Well OK, that's fine. Like I said I have no idea about the waterways down there. What I meant to say is, that if you don't agree with somebody, there's a right way, and a wrong way, of telling somebody that. Dasboot did it the wrong way :lol:

Cheer up!

Maybe so, but his original simple humorous comeback was then subjected to a very snotty put down.

Cheer up!

Well I'm sorry for biting but David Schweizer's remark in response to what I had merely intended as a light hearted quip, "By the way, I realise that your comment was probably intended to be to be funny, but for it to work, it is a good idea to get your facts right." was unpleasantly sneering I thought.

And it did bring forth the comment, "dasboot kicks off" which made it all worthwhile in my opinion.

And as Proper Job says, let's get back to the story of Meteor.

My apologies if I upset anyone else.

Dasboot - read it again. What he actually says is that:

I have seen a copy of the original orders from the British Transport Commission(Waterways) authorising the canal to be opened for passage from the Thames and through to Gloucester.

So no implication that the K&A goes to Gloucester, merely that the K&A was part of the route.

Edited by sociable_hermit

So no implication that the K&A goes to Gloucester, merely that the K&A was part of the route.

And to add to that that the British Transport Comission's teritory started at Reading (though for pedants, not directly from the Thames)

And as Proper Job says, let's get back to the story of Meteor.

As an aside, the Narrow boat Trust considered buying Meteor when they were in the market for a butty back in 1995 and finished up buying Brighton. A dirty weekend in Meteor wouldn't have had quite the same ring to it...... :lol: