Ruston & Hornsby single cylinder

casper ghost

Featured Posts

Hello. I have a 43 ft boat with a Sabb 10hp single cylinder. I've been offered a Ruston & Hornsby single cylinder which i'm thinking of swapping for my Sabb. Not sure of Ruston's age, but it's obviously very old. Think it's also 10 hp.

I hope to extend my boat to about 55 ft in a couple of years and wondered would the Ruston be better to power a longer boat as my Sabb is fairly slow with the current length.

I currently have an 18 x 14 prop for my Sabb, any ideas what size the Ruston would like?

Thanks

Hello. I have a 43 ft boat with a Sabb 10hp single cylinder. I've been offered a Ruston & Hornsby single cylinder which i'm thinking of swapping for my Sabb. Not sure of Ruston's age, but it's obviously very old. Think it's also 10 hp.

I hope to extend my boat to about 55 ft in a couple of years and wondered would the Ruston be better to power a longer boat as my Sabb is fairly slow with the current length.

I currently have an 18 x 14 prop for my Sabb, any ideas what size the Ruston would like?

Thanks

Ruston built a number of single cylinder diesels - they varied in hp from about 7 to 12hp. IIRC they all ran at around 1500 rpm.

There will be some on the forum that will tell you that you will be vastly underpowered with such an engine. Yes, it will have to work hard, but diesels like to be worked hard.

For canal use, with occasional (non flood) river use it would be adequate.

As for the prop set up - what is the rpm rating of your Sabb? The key thing will be the hp/rpm to ascertain the torque of the engine and the the reduction gearbox ratio to the propshaft. Getting it right is more critical with small engines than with the big boys. They can afford some margins of error. You will need to get it all matched as efficiently as possible.

Edited by Proper Job

Hi. On the engine plate it reads- size 1. class VTO . no 227021 .

I don't know the hp and i couln't find a site on the net to quote the details.

My Sabb has max 1800 rpm, though it never revs that high in practice.

I've also been offered a prop which is 18x19, it didn't come from this engine but it'll fit on my boat without the need to drop the skeg.

Any one any suggestions for me.

Thanks.

I've got a 10hp Sabb in my boat (well sort of my boat, as I've taken a deposit on it..) Anyway, the 30ft narrowboat with a 16 x 14 prop on the end of the Sabb and it goes like the proverbial off the shovel.

I can't see how this helps you though.

True, but think how nice it would sound!

The Ruston VTO and VTH are the smallest Rustons from the 1930's . They are very strong robust units that sound like a boat engine should. I have yet to see an old Ruston that doesn't smoke badly in a boat , usually because they aren't worked hard enough. We have a 2VTO in a loco, 11/13 HP and the sound is to die for ( praise indeed from a lifelong Kelvin fan!) . It might be worth looking for a 1VSO, about 9HP ,looks the same but bigger all round- can be found in old Jones KL22 cranes in scrapyards etc. Another make worth considering is the Ailsa Craig diesel- RF1 is about 10hp at 1000rpm

Bill

In the light of the fact that the Ruston is a VTO - stick with the Sabb. They're good engines

You can spend a while then looking for a larger engine for when you are ready to stretch the boat.

Your probably better off going for a twin. There are some nice units out there. One of my particular favourites is the Petter PH2W.

If you could find a Alsia Craig RF2 (20hp @ 1000rpm) that would be another nice engine.

In the light of the fact that the Ruston is a VTO - stick with the Sabb. They're good engines

You can spend a while then looking for a larger engine for when you are ready to stretch the boat.

Your probably better off going for a twin. There are some nice units out there. One of my particular favourites is the Petter PH2W.

If you could find a Alsia Craig RF2 (20hp @ 1000rpm) that would be another nice engine.

I think the RF2 would be too powerful for a 40ft boat , the single is a better bet. These have heavy flywheels and loads of torque. If you really want to go on a power trip , I have 3 derelict RFR4s ( 40 HP 1000rpm ) marine engines with reverse/ reduction gearboxes, possible to make 1 good one out of 3. The prop would need to be about 30inch diameter:-).

I have used RF2s ( not in boats) for about 30 years on and off, they are a delight to work on and almost unbreakable.

Bill

:lol: Or a nice Beta 1903..... :lol:

Oh... a 5hp won't push my boat. Just as well i'm only thinking about it, no money changed hands yet..

I fitted a 2VTH in a 60 footer and it runs well with a 22x18 prop on a 2:1 PRM 260 gearbox. The 1VTO is the smaller engine in the range. I have one. I think you will struggle on the river and the prop would have to be considerable smaller. If you have the space go for a Ruston twin, you will not be disappointed with the performance, reliability and sound. Perhaps a 1VSO which is the big brother would be more suitable if you haven't the space for a twin.

Good Luck

I fitted a 2VTH in a 60 footer and it runs well with a 22x18 prop on a 2:1 PRM 260 gearbox. The 1VTO is the smaller engine in the range. I have one. I think you will struggle on the river and the prop would have to be considerable smaller. If you have the space go for a Ruston twin, you will not be disappointed with the performance, reliability and sound. Perhaps a 1VSO which is the big brother would be more suitable if you haven't the space for a twin.

Good Luck

Thanks. As it happens i've just bought a Ruston 2VTH, i was wondering what size prop but you've answered that for me, though I would have to drop the skeg to fit one your size as i only have 21 inch draft! What is your engine like, any good for rivers, i've never gone on any with the little Sabb as not enough nerve or power.

Is the 2VTH a left hand or right hand rotation?

though I would have to drop the skeg to fit one your size as i only have 21 inch draft!

All very well but you'll need to make sure you have sufficient room, between the top of the propellor and the uxter plate.

All very well but you'll need to make sure you have sufficient room, between the top of the propellor and the uxter plate.

Yes, i'll have to lower the sterntube as well. A fairly easy job. I can do it whilst i'm lengthening the boat.