Froze in

Rivers

Featured Posts

Hi to all,as you know its very cold and along with every one else our boat is froze in ,the ice is about an inch thick,as we and most others cant move our boat to get water and the water point is froze as well, do BW have a duty of care to provid us with water (ie) bring a bowzer down etc.What do you think if you lived in a house and the water went the water company would do it straight away.Regards Darren......

Hi to all,as you know its very cold and along with every one else our boat is froze in ,the ice is about an inch thick,as we and most others cant move our boat to get water and the water point is froze as well, do BW have a duty of care to provid us with water (ie) bring a bowzer down etc.What do you think if you lived in a house and the water went the water company would do it straight away.Regards Darren......

:lol::lol::lol:

Which water company would that be?

when i last lived in a house I was left without water for 2 days due to a mains burst in the next street and Thames Water just monitoring the flow before they decided it was a priority and fixed the main.

You could always ask the RAF to do a water drop for you if your cut off....Ive seen em drop feed for sheep on the dales so they could deliver a couple of bottles of Evian im sure

Buy a water butt and drive or walk to a tap that isn't frozen.

You could always ask the RAF to do a water drop for you if your cut off....Ive seen em drop feed for sheep on the dales so they could deliver a couple of bottles of Evian im sure

I believe it is RAF policy only to deliver English spring water.

Do what we do - trudge to the local laundromat, buy bottled water, break the ice (yes I know its hard but it can be done) and dunk a bucket to flush the loo and wash in an inch of water.

Being raised on water restrictions and an allowance of at times only 100 liters perhousehold per day, every day with running water is a joy. We have about 3 inches in the bottom of the tank and that is being eked out. Have to share this with you all though. We live on a private property where there is a factory and storage unit. So last Friday, although not frozen, the water stopped running in the tap. So later one of the neighbour boaters said she could hear water running in the factory. Yes a burst pipe. The Much Beloved went to a lot of trouble to track down the number of the owner and called him to tell him that there was a burst pipe in the factory. Owner came down and opened the doors. At least 4 inches of water over the entire floor and office carpets. So we all rolled up the trousers and with brooms swept all the water out of the building for him. He reconnected our water and left, without even saying thanks. 2 hours of backbreaking sweeping for a bunch of middle aged people with no vested interest in his business spent their friday evening sorting his flood out - not even a thank you.

Just felt really miffed, a simple thank you would have meant a lot. Ok moan over :lol:

I don't think BW has any duty of care to provide you with water, unless perhaps you have a residential mooring.

A container which you can carry to the waterpoint is one way of getting around the issue (that's assuming the waterpoint isn't frozen). People walk miles to get water in some parts of the less developed world and then they have to carry it back. Surely we can manage for a week or two. Hopefully this cold snap won't last too long.

I don't think BW has any duty of care to provide you with water, unless perhaps you have a residential mooring.

A container which you can carry to the waterpoint is one way of getting around the issue (that's assuming the waterpoint isn't frozen). People walk miles to get water in some parts of the less developed world and then they have to carry it back. Surely we can manage for a week or two. Hopefully this cold snap won't last too long.

Its over by the weekend.

Go to your nearest camping suppliers or even Tescos and buy a collapsible water carrier (or two) then take it to the nearest pub, have a pint and ask the landlord to fill it up with tapwater. Great excuse for having a pint!

Better still, ask landlord to fill them with beer!

By the time you care about water, again, the thaw will have set in.

BW have a discretion to lay on what facilities they think appropriate. If you fancy looking up your mooring conditions on't interweb, espescially the Transport Act that's referred to, you'll find it. Certainly in the various acts BW labours under there's no obligation, you'd probably have more luck under one of the Geneva conventions however as they've never been directly enacted into UK law you'd get short shrift in the courts.

With a distinct mistrust of weather forecasters we've got 35 litres of water butt under the bed for emergencies. You can buy 'em for about a tenner. I'm just about to buy some puritabs to clean 'em as if the rain don't come the ice won't melt very quickly and we'll likely run out of water.

If the coal runs out, my having given a good amount away after everybody's delivery didn't show up I'll carry it, I've done it before and will have little choice apart from to do it again. I find it easier & quicker shouldering bags rather than moving a couple on a sack trolley.

When we were on the No M65 campaign at Blackburn we had to carry every mililitre of water we used on site (never mind everything else that went into 42 treehouses and 2 1/2 kilometres of rope walkway) about 3/4 of a mile so a couple of hundred yards is no great sacrifice.

Welcome to boating! The occasional winter's a swine but at least we're warmer than most of the concrete dwellers :lol:

He reconnected our water and left, without even saying thanks. 2 hours of backbreaking sweeping for a bunch of middle aged people with no vested interest in his business spent their friday evening sorting his flood out - not even a thank you.

Just felt really miffed, a simple thank you would have meant a lot. Ok moan over :lol:

I do hope you suddenly discover the case of Whisky he rushed off to buy for you . . .

Plus you wont fall in just fall onto :lol:

We've had this problem several times this year, mostly with high flood water under bridges, but also frozen stand pipes.

Now got several 25litre 'distilled water' containers (from the Gas suppliers) that fit discretely into the car boot, a length of hose with a 12v water pump from Braunston Chandlers.

Works well, until I forgot to leave the Car running - quiet & efficient, but then had to jump-start the car...

O.T.T. as usual, and now I've got it all working I suppose we'll have no problems for the next 3 years... here's hoping. :lol:

Yes we are on a mooring and we have two small children,every thing is frozen up

I do hope you suddenly discover the case of Whisky he rushed off to buy for you . . .

Hope is not quite springing eternal anymore, there is still a vague hope, but it diminishes by the day. I suppose he needs the spare cash to pay the monumental water bill he is going to get.

Seriously take the advice that these wise folks of the canals are telling you - get a butt, get off yours and get some water . When the kids want a hot bath tell them about the poor African babies who are bathed in ditches full of frogs and poo......that will make them enjoy the wet flannel method so much better.

May the force be with you, we are without water, but at least are just two middle aged lazy people frozen solid. Wet wipes, bottled water and the laundry. Thats the ticket.

never fear....the thaw is near.

Hope is not quite springing eternal anymore, there is still a vague hope, but it diminishes by the day. I suppose he needs the spare cash to pay the monumental water bill he is going to get.

Seriously take the advice that these wise folks of the canals are telling you - get a butt, get off yours and get some water . When the kids want a hot bath tell them about the poor African babies who are bathed in ditches full of frogs and poo......that will make them enjoy the wet flannel method so much better.

May the force be with you, we are without water, but at least are just two middle aged lazy people frozen solid. Wet wipes, bottled water and the laundry. Thats the ticket.

never fear....the thaw is near.

Dont get me wrong i have been on board for 8 winters its just this is our first perminant mooring, i have had to use barrels many times before.

Dont get me wrong i have been on board for 8 winters its just this is our first perminant mooring, i have had to use barrels many times before.

Ah sorry didn't mean to have a dig, I am sure you, like us, will surive this cold weather, the weekend promises to be up to 6 degrees so hopefully we will have the hoses running again soon. In the meantime, just drink beer and use a flannel - if we all smell bad together none of us is going to notice :lol:

Ah sorry didn't mean to have a dig, I am sure you, like us, will surive this cold weather, the weekend promises to be up to 6 degrees so hopefully we will have the hoses running again soon. In the meantime, just drink beer and use a flannel - if we all smell bad together none of us is going to notice :lol:

And who said the community spirit was lacking these days?

even the eternal spring is frozen at the moment . . . . . .

and a brisk walk with the water butt is so good for the soul

never mind being good for my butt....now this is just getting silly.