New Years cruising and icebreaking

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

I thought I would just share a report of our trip so far with you - Photos will follow when I get home!

Postcode (Dave) and myself set off on a nice gentle relaxing little cruise when we eventually got moving on New Years Day (after an wonderful party night at Misty's Bar - Calf Heath)

On Thursday January 1st we moored up a short distance after Whitwick following replacement of a broken fan belt. The journey has been a bitterly cold one through freezing fog and the locks were really slippery.

On Friday January 2nd I got a call from forum member Michele who had PM'ed me shortly before we set off. I had suggested that she and her partner Mark may like to join us later. Michele proved she really is as daft as she pofesses to be by calling to offer her services with a windlass for the afternoon. Mark was sadly unable to join us as he was working. before long the sun broke through and Michelle found us at The Bratch and was welcomed aboard with her bag containing fresh cream scones :lol: We had a wonderful trip in pleasant sunshine and ended up mooring at Stewponey lock (The very same place of a wonderful summer banter with Graham and Jane (Alnwick) and the Mole Family plus Ange and Dave and Wrigglefingers et all) As we said goodbye to Michelle Dave suggested that if Mark did not want to miss out then they could join us again the next day. A quick phone call confirmed that was a plan!

The forecast was for a cold night so we stoked up the fire and closed the curtains while leaving the engine running a while to preserve the batteries. Before long someone was hammering on the hatch and we were expecting a complaint from someone who did not want to listen to the engine. Instead when Dave opened the hatch we were greeted by Moley! He had popped in to see us while passing by. Only a flying visit but Moles are always welcome (except when a lawn is involved of course!) We ventured out at around 11pm to investigate how hard the water was but it was only slightly slushy ice on the top so far.

This morning was a different matter and we were now completely iced in. Having ventured with the camera to try and catch the majical light at dawn we awaited the arrival of our crew. This time they arrived with a complete hamper of food and drink!!!! We set of gingerly and started to break our way through the ice. In most places it was around 1/2" thick and the boat coped ok but steering was "interesting" at times :lol: In some places the ice was quite a bit thicker but there were also areas where it was quite a bit thinner thankfully. The journey today was again in wonderful sunshine but it was very noisy from the ice breaking and some of the locks were a bit harder than usual to open. We did not see another moving boat all the way to the top of The Bratch where we had to say goodbye to Michelle and Mark. As we were saying goodbye there was a boat arrived in the opposite direction which had come all the way from Coven. They had also been the only boat moving today and we greeted each other like the mad fools that we all knew we were!

We set off now through water that moved in front of us for a change. We were able to speed up quite a bit and it got a lot quieter as well. Before long another boat came the opposite direction and now we were going great. a third boat in the opposite direction saw most of the ice vanish miraculously and we have ended up moored in the same spot we occupied on Friday night. We were treated to a fantastic sunset as we tied up and now we are toasty and warm onboard while the canal outside is gently solidifying again.

We will have to wait and see just how thick the ice is tomorrow morning but the forcast if for freezing fog again. We do not have too far to go though but we do both need to back at work on Monday so I hope it is not too thick!

Today we have decided perhaps we will touch up the blacking on the waterline (especially around the bow) sometime quite soon :lol:

We have also had yet another boaty adventure and met some lovely new forum friends. I know Mark took some stunning photos today (and gave me a lesson in how to use my camera as well!) Perhaps Michelle can persuade him to share one or two of his pics with the forum? I will post a couple when we get back - that is providing there are no icebergs to catch us out on the Staffs and Worcs tomorrow!

I have likewise been through the icebreaking last week on the staffs and worcs and again today on the Cov canal! its amazing how quick the ice forms, i went out to get some coal at about 12 and the water was still water, and 6 in the morning the whole thing is frozen solid by about 1/2 inch!

Its made a massive mess of the black on the bow, theres not much left now. time to empty the water tank and bring the front outa the water to re-black

but i was amazed at how brilliantly she handled through the ice! no trouble at all!

but i was amazed at how brilliantly she handled through the ice! no trouble at all!

One of the most unusual moments I’ve encountered was getting stuck on – yes “on”, not “in” the ice. I was in our motorised butty which before fitting out was very light at the fore-end. The ice was reasonably thick but we were making good progress. Suddenly the front of the boat rode up onto a thick stretch of ice and stayed there. :lol: No amount of reverse thrust would work and there we were floundering like a beached whale. Fortunately we were boating with friends who snatched us off.

Edited by koukouvagia

If you want to rip the blacking off your boat around the waterline then moving in ice is one of the best ways to do it. It can also damage the blacking on stationary boats and if you're not careful you could end up sinking a stationary boat with a GRP hull. You have to remember that even though the ice may only be half an inch thick, your boat could be pushing against 100 yards of the stuff. Having someone at the bow with a pole helps, but I still don't think it's very fair for those who have recently blacked their boats and have the blacking removed by those who don't care about moving. A hireboat crunched the ice around me this morning, sending sheets of it into my boat - but why should he care?

Edited by blackrose

I decided to take the boat for a cruise for the new year. I don't have to cruise but I bought a boat and license to enjoy the canals.

I cruised down to Stourport this weekend with Cheshire Rose who also enjoys all aspects of canals and canal history.

On the way down to Stourport there was no ice and we were ably assisted by Michelle who loves the canals but doesn't have a boat yet. As Michelle left we suggested that her partner Mark and her joined us the next day on the way back.

Yesterday morning we left from Stourton in ice which we broke with the boat which was a new experience for us all. Before I set off I checked to see if there were any stoppages because of ice but there weren't. BW obviously seem to allow the use of my license for all the days I pay for.

I obviously was doing damage to my blacking. We took great care when passing boats and indeed received waves and friendly comments from boaters we spoke to. I did pass boats on tickover where possible as long as we still kept way!

We passed many fibreglass boats and interestingly the way the ice breaks around them is different to steel boats. They seem to be frozen to the ice and so the cracks appear round the boat that then floats free of ice except for the ice still attached to the hull. We didn't try going past fast to see if we could cut one in half.

I needed some more fuel for the fire but when we got to Awbridge lock the working boat selling fuel had left going north. It was good to see that the ice was not stopping people who needed to move.

We saw other boats moving - indeed we had long distances where we were in water free of ice due to the boats that we passed coming in the opposite direction.

At the Bratch I performed a public service whilst waiting for the lock by reversing and breaking the ice for a couple of fishermen who had been sitting there for 2 hours without a bite. I did ask first and 16 tons of ice-breaking help was welcome. At one point when Rose had taken the helm a fisherman asked her to bring the boat in closer to the bank to break the ice up for him.

In summary:

I had a great weekend with great company, I didn't sink any other boats and indeed I had many great conversations with other boat owners over the sound of breaking ice. It was a true boating experience which I feel priveledged to experience.

We had yet another fantastic adventure today. The ice in some places was even thicker than yesterday and then it started to snow as well!

Everyone seemed to want to speak to us today, walkers and boater alike. They could hear us coming way ahead and anyone on boat a moored boat was either on deck to have a friendly word with us or waving and smiling behind the protection of the windows. I was extremely concerned for any ducks or other wildlife as well as I was worried that the sharp edges of the ice could harm them so poor old Dave got fed up of me pointing out anything that moved to make sure he slowed down and where possible gave it a wide berth.

It was fascinating to see how the ice and the boat reacted depending on the width of the canal and the thickness of the ice. We travelled so slowly past moored boats that in some instances we almost stopped. I had to take 6 goes at getting round one bend because the thickness of the ice combined with trying to get the boat to turn just did not work.

I also saw an otter today :lol: A long way ahead I spotted what appeared to be a black short legged cat walk across the ice. I thought it strange, its legs were too short to be a cat and we were by the woodland at Coven. A cat would not willingly walk over ice I felt. As we got a lot closer I saw the same creature run back across to the woodland. This time it was in plain view against the snow settled on the ice. It did not run straight into the woods but ran along the bank a short way ahead of the boat before dissapearing into the undergrowth. It left behind it a track of tiny skiddy paw prints in the snow :lol:

Anyway - here are a few of the pics I took:

Freezing fog in The Narrows

3167258793_af02c689e7.jpg

3167277273_d366446b82.jpg

3168116498_e12c264852.jpg

There are more which I cannot seem to make work at the moment so I will have another go at posting them in a mo.

Hi Rose

The photos look absolutely amazing! Mark (new forum name - Tiny!) says it must be your new photography teacher!

We have had a look at our pics and there's a few nice ones - will sort out emailing them to you and posting some here too, probably tomorrow night.

Hope work isn't too bad tomorrow!

Nice pics Rose!

There's something very special about the canals in mid-winter - I've particlularly enjoyed watching the ducks skittering along the ice. We've only just had our hull blacked so we wouldn't be as brave! I do pop my head up and wave to passing boaters though - they're a rarity at the moment.

No harm in passing plastic (or wood!) boats but, if you're the first to go past them, pass close.

That way the next boat is pushing the ice sheet towards the opposite bank, not towards the boat.

That's a useful tip.

I know a bloke who sunk his wooden boat by moving in ice on a frozen canal in France.