Freeview 12v connection

Tribalmaya

Featured Posts

My mate has been living on the canal for 6 mths and wants to no if she can get freeview or sky through her 12v t.v. Any help, suggestions or comments are greatfully received! Thanks!

yes if you get a freeview box. Some of the freeview boxes will run direct off the 12V as well.

yes if you get a freeview box. Some of the freeview boxes will run direct off the 12V as well.

Hi There

You can usually spot them by a small 12v transformer supplied with it.

Also some small (I've seen up to 26") flat screen TV's come with them.

Alex

I bought a "Mikomi" 15" LCD TV from Argos for £89; that had a 12v transformer and in practice works fine on a 12v supply.

Maplins sell a 12v Freeview box for not a lot of money.

For reasons of cowardice I run them through an Amperor voltage stabilisation gizmo, but I have heard of people just running them from a 12v battery.

There's a PACE digibox for Sky that runs on 12v. It's an obsolete model now, but there are still quite a few available.

Which is the Pace 1000 "Javelin" Minibox, works exactly as a normal box, but has a 12v connector and an external mains power brick... :lol:

But they're usually expensive due to their rarity because of sky not wanting people to take their TV with them in a caravan, campervan or boat... :lol:

But there's ways and means around that, just buy your own box, call up sky and ask for a "2nd-hand Subscription", they send you the card, you pop it into the box, call them up again and they activate and pair the card with your box!!! No need for a phoneline unless you like ordering Domino's Pizzas through your box or playing games or the lottery, that costs money on the phonebill though, so not recommended anyway... :lol:

That sounds interesting. Is it this one here ?

Richard

That one has been extensively discussed on the forum before. IIRC MikeVye was recommending it.

The quoted "sub 20 watts" power consumption is around half that of other LCD TVs of similar screen size.

It does sound almost too good to be true, but I've yet to find anybody that has put a meter on one to prove it.

The inclusion of a nominal "12V" DC to controlled 12V DC converter is another plus point, as these are quite pricey if bought as an extra.

The quoted "sub 20 watts" power consumption is around half that of other LCD TVs of similar screen size.

It does sound almost too good to be true, but I've yet to find anybody that has put a meter on one to prove it.

My view is that one should go, if at all possible, by measured consumption. The manufacturers figures are always an over estimate, based on their main market of grid-supplied power.

Although if the power supply is rated at 20W then you can be reasonably sure this is a maximum. The size of the PSU would be a factor in retail price.

I have used 15" TFT for years and there is no real reason (within limits - brightness for example) why different screens should use different amounts of power.

I would expect the screen to use 12-15W (1 - 1.25A at our nominal) and the tuner and/or DVD to add 500mA more.

I expect 19" TFT to use around the same again (guessing twice the screen area?)

A lot of these items are available from Maplin or Argos where you can take something back if it uses too much power when you try it.

My view is that one should go, if at all possible, by measured consumption. The manufacturers figures are always an over estimate, based on their main market of grid-supplied power.

Although if the power supply is rated at 20W then you can be reasonably sure this is a maximum. The size of the PSU would be a factor in retail price.

Yes, I suspect you are probably right, although I've never got around to measuring actual consumption of any laptops, PCs, satellite box, etc used on board.

It will be educational to do so, although I find our TV uses effectively nigh on zero power, because even if we take it, we can seldom be a**ed to switch it on.

I've recently measured a pair of ultra cheap low power MSW inverters - neither draws anything like it's quoted off load standby current.