Securing gas bottles

Featured Posts

The requirement to secure gas bottles in the gas locker is, as I understand it, just to stop them falling over or hitting any pipework within the locker.

Like most gas lockers, mine is incorporated into the bow of the boat and has sloping sides meaning that anything holding the bottles to the sides would tend to pull them over at an angle. The bulkhead separating the locker from the bow well deck has pipework and a bubble tester fitted to it, so that is out too.

Would a short 12mm dome bolt fitted through the top of the locker, with a nut holding a short length of chain on the other side be acceptable, if the chain was used to go through the handles of the bottles to stop them falling over?

The requirement to secure gas bottles in the gas locker is, as I understand it, just to stop them falling over or hitting any pipework within the locker.

Like most gas lockers, mine is incorporated into the bow of the boat and has sloping sides meaning that anything holding the bottles to the sides would tend to pull them over at an angle. The bulkhead separating the locker from the bow well deck has pipework and a bubble tester fitted to it, so that is out too.

Would a short 12mm dome bolt fitted through the top of the locker, with a nut holding a short length of chain on the other side be acceptable, if the chain was used to go through the handles of the bottles to stop them falling over?

Most examiners will accept all the bottles being strapped together with a ratchet cargo strap. Mine has passed three BSS examinatiomns with that arrangement. However I replaced the flexible hoses this year and reduced the number of cylinders from four to two and felt that the former arrangement was now unsatisfactory.

I bolted two timber beams across the bulkhead at the rear of the locker with a Stainless steel chain plate screwed to each end of the upper beam, through which a Cargo strap is threaded to hold the cylinders in place. The beams also have small timber cradles screwed to them to inhibit any potential sideways movement.

Edited by David Schweizer

May he meant - pathetic

Thanks for an amusing afternoon :lol: but we have gone WAY of topic now, what about the poor man and his gas bottles.

Im sure we can find some other thread to hi-jack :lol:

By the way - mine are in tight fitting seperate lockers on the cruiser stern (reverse layout)

Alex

Edited by steelaway