It's Happening again

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

Oftentimes that's forum speak for "If you'd used the search engine and read around a bit first, you'd have found this answered many times before." I've noticed that on a car forum to which I subscribe, questions are often preceded by words along the lines of "I've tried the search engine, but didn't find anything covering this...." as a way of deflating the 'obvious question' riposte.

There are a couple of interesting points, about the repeated asking of the same questions.

The first is that, if the forum is to survive and flourish, new members (and therefore, often novices) must be welcomed, along with their questions.

The second is that, if newcomers are welcomed, and their questions answered (again), the forum doesn't generate into a few old anoraks slagging each other off.

The third thing is that the search facility is RUBBISH and I pity any newbie who is steered, ungraciously, to it's door.

I will usually do the search and present the newbie with a link, if I can't be bothered with answering, in full.

If anyone doesn't want to do this, why do they even bother to post a "My god! Not that question again!" response???

Edited by carlt

There are a couple of interesting points, about the repeated asking of the same questions.

The first is that, if the forum is to survive and flourish, new members (and therefore, often novices) must be welcomed, along with their questions.

The second is that, if newcomers are welcomed, and their questions answered (again), the forum doesn't generate into a few old anoraks slagging each other off.

The third thing is that the search facility is RUBBISH and I pity any newbie who is steered, ungraciously, to it's door.

I will usually do the search and present the newbie with a link, if I can't be bothered with answering, in full.

If anyone doesn't want to do this, why do they even bother to post a "My god! Not that question again!" response???

Absolutely. I have seen posts such as "YAWN!!!!!!!" or "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" in response to some hapless poster and you have to say, "you have the choice to read this topic or not, rather like the TV has an off button".

I've just read a topic in the electrical forum in which TerryL pitted himself against the world. It was amazingly abusive, but in a way quite rivetting, like a TV programme that is so bad you watch it because you can't quite believe that anyone could have thought it was a good idea to broadcast it.

Most forum search buttons are, and it's a common cause of complaint / anguish.

One solution on another forum i frequent, was to use a Google Custom Search button, which actually finds far more relevant threads than the inbuilt forum one! Maybe that's a post for the Suggestions section.

Sorry to be :lol:

Marc 8)

Take your points Carl, but on the subject of the search engine - I used to think it was pretty awful too, until somebody pointed out the advanced search features in a post somewhere. Using advanced search seems to produce a markedly better result. Or have I got low expectations?.... :lol:

Take your points Carl, but on the subject of the search engine - I used to think it was pretty awful too, until somebody pointed out the advanced search features in a post somewhere. Using advanced search seems to produce a markedly better result. Or have I got low expectations?.... :lol:

If so, then so have I, because I find the Advanced Search works quite well for me

If so, then so have I, because I find the Advanced Search works quite well for me

Yes, I too use it (with experience).

The only problem with it is; it doesn't accept three letter words so, if I want to find posts about "Usk", I have to be creative and search for "that moron Carl".

And a boating forum that won't let you search BW, EA, BSC, RCD, etc (drone)...............

In just over six hours, the posts on this thread have filled two pages and are well on their way to filling a third. It shows that alongside technical discussions, sales & wants ads, blogs, cruising reminiscences and the like, there is a healthy demand for for a darn' good frank exchange of views, so please don't regret starting it, David - particularly as, unless I missed it, none of the numerous participants has used abusive language (yet).

Yes, I too use it (with experience).

The only problem with it is; it doesn't accept three letter words so, if I want to find posts about "Usk", I have to be creative and search for "that moron Carl".

And a boating forum that won't let you search BW, EA, BSC, RCD, etc (drone)...............

How many pages does that bring up? :lol:

were civil wars civil?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

If you walk around the streets asking random people questions do you think they will all respond favourably.

I wouldn't say that asking questions about barges etc on a Canal World Discussion Forum was asking random people questions.

If people think it's stupid or already been asked then why can't they just ignore it?

I wouldn't say that asking questions about barges etc on a Canal World Discussion Forum was asking random people questions.

If people think it's stupid or already been asked then why can't they just ignore it?

I don't know, I've asked that plenty of times but in my experience it just doesn't work like that.

Most forum search buttons are, and it's a common cause of complaint / anguish.

One solution on another forum i frequent, was to use a Google Custom Search button, which actually finds far more relevant threads than the inbuilt forum one! Maybe that's a post for the Suggestions section.

Sorry to be :lol:

Marc 8)

We have one set up by Gary, admittedly there is no direct link, perhaps that can be setup.

http://www.ledgardbridge-boatcompany.com/C...arch/index.html

Have it in my 'bookmarks'

We have one set up by Gary, admittedly there is no direct link, perhaps that can be setup.

http://www.ledgardbridge-boatcompany.com/C...arch/index.html

Have it in my 'bookmarks'

I'm reasonably new to the forum, but noticed very early on that it wasn't a good idea to ask a question until I already knew most of the answer! I have wasted hours and hours using the forum's search facility....... I came across the above link by accident and it has made a tremendous difference. It is definitely worth bookmarking.

I do have a complaint though........ Not wanting risk the shame of asking a 'stupid' question I have, though relentless searching (you name it I've searched it), discovered BOAT BLOGS........I am totally addicted...... my studio is gathering dust , the door goes unanswered, , my children are going hungry and I won't let anyone share my laptop! Is there a cure.....I feel the 'research' excuse is wearing thin........great site....great people (warts 'n all) Cheers

Lemon

I have wasted hours and hours using the forum's search facility

Don't be afraid, click on Advanced Search and use the options it gives you

Is there a cure

No I'm sorry, there is no known cure. Just the same as once you've got canal water in your blod, you are fated to become addicted to canals.

:lol: maybe.....

I also used to think the search facility crap.

However taking the trouble to learn it, I now do heaps better.

No offence to Gary, (honest!), but personally whilst a fan of Google, I don't much like it used as a search engine within a particular site.

I think it's OK to say "use the search engine", where you know it will produce lots of its, e,g. say "Try searching for +galvanic +isolator".

Not much help id someone wants to know about "LPG" though, or any other three letter word.

No offence to Gary, (honest!), but personally whilst a fan of Google, I don't much like it used as a search engine within a particular site.

I think it's OK to say "use the search engine", where you know it will produce lots of its, e,g. say "Try searching for +galvanic +isolator".

Not much help id someone wants to know about "LPG" though, or any other three letter word.

Or "oil"

Don't search using, for example, +galvanic +isolator but search for "galvanic isolator" within inverted commas.

There should be no problem searching for 3 letter words. The "+" search facility in front of a word means that that word MUST be in the search even though it would normally be ignored, eg: if you wanted the word "off" in a search (which it would probably ignore normally), put +off.

The inverted commas mean that the search engine will search for the complete phrase within the inverted commas not the isolated words that make up the phrase.

Chris

I'm reasonably new to the forum, but noticed very early on that it wasn't a good idea to ask a question until I already knew most of the answer! I have wasted hours and hours using the forum's search facility....... I came across the above link by accident and it has made a tremendous difference. It is definitely worth bookmarking.

I do have a complaint though........ Not wanting risk the shame of asking a 'stupid' question I have, though relentless searching (you name it I've searched it), discovered BOAT BLOGS........I am totally addicted...... my studio is gathering dust , the door goes unanswered, , my children are going hungry and I won't let anyone share my laptop! Is there a cure.....I feel the 'research' excuse is wearing thin........great site....great people (warts 'n all) Cheers

Lemon

funnyerror_1.jpg

Edited by Dominic M

There should be no problem searching for 3 letter words. The "+" search facility in front of a word means that that word MUST be in the search even though it would normally be ignored, eg: if you wanted the word "off" in a search (which it would probably ignore normally), put +off.

Still won't search for Usk, +usk or "usk".