DC conductor to hull.

OptedOut

Featured Posts

I'll take that as a no then. Your boat doesn't have holes in it caused by electricity running along damp cables and into or out of the hull.

why are you taking that as a no?

surely it's an unknown. or are you making assumptions?

Edited by grahoom

http://www.islandnet.com/robb/marine.html

from this link

as said, my engine room isn't bone dry. So I am presuming that if there is Stray Current, then yes there could be a chance of corrosion.

You are presuming? Is there any evidence of of electricity running along your constantly damp cables and causing errosion to the hull?

why are you taking that as a no?

surely it's an unknown. or are you making assumptions?

Because you would know about it.

You are presuming? Is there any evidence of of electricity running along your constantly damp cables and causing errosion to the hull?

as far as I was aware, and from reading the actual posts in this thread, what was commented on was stray currents causing corrosion due to dampness of boats. And luckily for you - who has a totally dry boat, you need to worry about it.

personally, I know that my engine room does have dampness, and as such am aware of the problem that could be caused by stray currents.

I am neither here to persuade you in any direction, as it would appear that the only direction you are keen on is the one set up by yourself.

Edited by grahoom

Unfortunately I think he enjoys his perceived notoriety and, after disrupting another forum, with his limited knowledge, he has arrived here, to repeat his achievements.

A poll would merely massage his ego.

You still can't help responding though can you? The DBA forum was quite lively when I was on it, I made people think about things and the poor systems they were using but it's gone to pot now with just a few posts a week. You never get thanks for being truthful and telling people what they have is crap even when suggesting better and cheaper ways so there will always be opponents like yourself. I'm used to it.

as far as I was aware, and from reading the actual posts in this thread, what was commented on was stray currents causing corrosion due to dampness of boats. And luckily for you - who has a totally dry boat, you need to worry about it.

personally, I know that my engine room does have dampness, and as such am aware of the problem that could be caused by stray currents.

I am neither here to persuade you in any direction, as it would appear that the only direction you are keen on is the one set up by yourself.

So as far as you are aware you do not have any problem with your hull eroding but you are now going to worry unneccessarily about it because Gibbo said it will happen, brilliant! Remember I said it won't!

You still can't help responding though can you?

It's a forum, it's what one does.

So as far as you are aware you do not have any problem with your hull eroding but you are now going to worry unneccessarily about it because Gibbo said it will happen, brilliant! Remember I said it won't!

Interesting that you prattled on about the remote possibility of something happening, which is why you would only ever have a shore-bound IT but you dismiss the rather more common occurrence of condensation, or dampness, in a boat.

I think your need to disagree far outweighs your need to be correct.

Edited by carlt

Ok, what we have is crap, you know better, you always speak the truth, nobody else knows squat. Perhaps the DBA crowd were similarly beaten into submission and they're still traumatised. I can't find emoticon with a white flag.

See what I mean? Very defensive! :lol:

Nope, I am not worried about it - but I am glad I am aware of it - rather than being totally in the dark. As I have done A Level Physics in my past, I was aware of the possibility of corrosion.

You say it won't - but there is a possibility. So I'd prefer to be aware of it, than take in blind faith your opinion.

Terry, I've found you a great new avatar.

stmn%20PE156S.jpg

I think it would be perfect for you.

Just in case anyone here is daft enough to believe what this clown is saying (doubtful) I'd like to make the following pertinent points.

1. He didn't know/understand the process of stray current corrosion and had to have it explained to him. Twice. Because it didn't sink in the first time.

2. He didn't know/understand that a positive grounded DC system could make the problem of stray current erosion worse and had to have it explained to him. Twice. Because it didn't sink in the first time.

3. He didn't know/understand that this type of erosion could not happen with a negative grounded system and had to have it explained to him. Again, twice.

4. Despite attestations from forum members that they have seen and/or experienced damp engine rooms, boat wiring etc, he continues to maintain that all boat electrical systems are dry.

5. I pasted links to various websites showing that damp boat electrics is a common problem and asked him to show some references that damp electrics don't happen in boats. He failed to do so.

6. I posted links to several website explaining the process of stray current erosion as a consequence of damp wiring. He pretended he couldn't see any stated connection. Maybe he couldn't see any connection. That doesn't mean the connection isn't there. It simply shows his comprehension problem.

7. He continues to waffle on and on and on making vague allegations with no substance behind any of them. He is unable to back any of them up. He shuts up on certain subjects when (if) he realises he is wrong and resorts to personal insults in an attempt to divert the thread from his incorrect statements.

8. The Recreational Craft Directive, The American Boat and Yacht Council, The British Marine Electronics Association, Nigel Calders rather in depth book and several other sources all say the DC system should be negative bonded to the hull. This clown says otherwise. Does he really expect us to believe that he is right and all those others are wrong?

On huge, permanently occupied, vessels an isolated DC system can be accomodated but NOT on small vessels.

He will, no doubt, now make mention of MOD vessels using isolated DC systems. As an approved contractor and supplier to several current MOD contracts (PM me for a list of current MOD contracts we are supplying on) I am deeply involved in this subject and can state with 100% certainty (I am in almost daily contact with the engineers who design and build these MOD vessels and other equipment) that the reason the MOD (sometimes) use isolated DC systems on boats is nothing to do with stray current erosion. It is based solely on reliability under conditions of being shot at by large guns and bombs. They don't care one jot if a vessel hull rots after 2 years as a result of a wiring defect. They just buy some more. What they do care about is that the vessel stands a better chance of still working when it is full of bullet holes.

I suspect he will now blather on some more with no substance behind anything he says.

Gibbo

Edited by Gibbo

You have to remember that Gibbo was saying that a very good CAV isolated floating system was likely to cause problems as he described in an impossible scenario

So you are saying a short to hull is an impossible scenario?

Why does anyone put fuses in then?

............ and that John Payne was wrong and that the military and navy were wrong..............

See my other post. You need to learn the reason the MOD sometimes (not always) use an isolated DC system. You can only learn this reason by actually being involved with the MOD. You know, working with them, designing equipment and systems with and for them. Like we do (yes, do some searches for MOD contracts and see how many times my company name turns up). I bet your plumbing company isn't in there. You can't learn this by being an armchair expert.

......when Chris claimed an RCD would not work without an earth .....

It won't. Surely this old beginners argument isn't coming up again?

The usal beginners point is "but it doesn't measure anything in the ground conductor, it measures the difference between the live and neutral currents". Yes, we all know that. But is appears that you don't know that there can't be any difference unless there is an earth path back to the supply before the RCD.

or they both agreed on the wrong fault current for a galvanic isolator!

I think you're doing it again. Attributing things to people who didn't say it.

Where have I incorrectly stated what the fault current should be for a GI?

See what we're up against folks?

And that damned ignore/block function doesn't do diddly.

Gibbo

THE ATTENTION SEEKER: low self esteem, low self confidence and immature. Needs to be at the centre of attention always, and will go to any extreme to be so. Often will bully, lie, cause trouble or become abusive to achieve attention. Will be a self proclaimed expert on any subject that happens to be mentioned. A typical response to this post by an attention seeker would be "Talking about yourself are you?", or some other flippant comment. Another modern trait of the attention seeker is to flame forums on the internet. Best cure for attention seekers is to completely ignore them. Believe me, I deal with hundreds of them every day.

THE ATTENTION SEEKER: low self esteem, low self confidence and immature. Needs to be at the centre of attention always, and will go to any extreme to be so. Often will bully, lie, cause trouble or become abusive to achieve attention. Will be a self proclaimed expert on any subject that happens to be mentioned. A typical response to this post by an attention seeker would be "Talking about yourself are you?", or some other flippant comment. Another modern trait of the attention seeker is to flame forums on the internet. Best cure for attention seekers is to completely ignore them. Believe me, I deal with hundreds of them every day.

Where did you find this - or did you write it yourself? It's good.

Richard

And what is that banana doing??

Where did you find this - or did you write it yourself? It's good.

Richard

And what is that banana doing??

Put the words together myself, but it is fairly standard descripton of an attention seeker. There is a better name than "attention seeker" probably a personality didorder, but I can't just recall it.

Found the banana somwhere or other and it amused my small brain. :lol:

...................... as when Chris claimed an RCD would not work without an earth or they both agreed on the wrong fault current for a galvanic isolator!

Stop f*****g lying you total RSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. I suggest people go to the DBA forum and see what a **NT he is ans they thought the same about him as we do. :lol:

For the avoidance of doubt to anyone else except this useless fart...... an onboard RCD will not work without a hull earth.

A simple experiment for dampness in wiring. Cut a few lengths of insulated multi strand copper wiring - any old stuff will do - arctic, battery flex etc etc - about 8 inches long, 20 cm if you are metric. Place them around the boat in a variety of locations. Go back to them after 3 months, strip 1/2 inch/1.2 cm insulation off and look at the colour of the copper. I guarantee that some copper ends will be black, casued by dampness wicking up the copper strands, in the damper locations. In dry locations it will take longer - a year or so - but it will still happen. Proper marine wiring is tinned to prevent the corrosion. The same dampness is sufficient to set up stray currents across surfaces and possible corrosion.

well done colin! i liked the practicle argument there.

Ive read gibbos comments and he seems to be the guy to listen to here (thread) as he speaks the truth (well as i have found it anyway)

Chris.... well he'll correct any little mistake you make (left a few bits of punKtuatiuon out on purpose hehe)

Ask terry which naval vessels he is on about and what year they were in commision?!?! (ie When was your info last corroborated?)

Edited by Pretty Funked Up

Small brain, finding amusing bananas and putting words together, that's evolution for you! Keep it up. :lol:

There is the flippant remark I spoke about.

This sound remarkably like Chris w and Gobbo.

This SOUNDS like, not this "sound" like.

Do you have a point?

Just remembered: Histrionic Personality Disorder. Edit: sorry it is narcissistic personality disorder.

I ask again TerryHell; are you a flamer?

Edited by Guest