STOLEN NARROWBOAT

steamgeoff

Featured Posts

Ha, there we were talking about how rare it is to see a boat with portholes at the front and its sharing a lock with a similar boat!

I will be down on the moorings this weekend... on the main line of the Bridgewater so I will keep my eye out for the boat, but I doubt it'd make it past Plank Lane anyway.

Ha, there we were talking about how rare it is to see a boat with portholes at the front and its sharing a lock with a similar boat!

I will be down on the moorings this weekend... on the main line of the Bridgewater so I will keep my eye out for the boat, but I doubt it'd make it past Plank Lane anyway.

Yeah, but you have to look at the roof layout, the mushrooms are different, the red one has a large chimney at the back, and the position of the chimney and the TV aerial are a good giveaway, and the railing on the aft look pretty unique to me, could be wrong though, I think this will be an easy find... :lol:

Yeah, but you have to look at the roof layout, the mushrooms are different, the red one has a large chimney at the back, and the position of the chimney and the TV aerial are a good giveaway, and the railing on the aft look pretty unique to me, could be wrong though, I think this will be an easy find... :lol:

An easy find?

2 days now and nothing! come on L&L folk..its either east or west

I don't think I've seen mention of it on the UK Rec Waterways newsgroup? Maybe it would be worth the OP posting something on there, and, as much as I have to say it, Narrowboatworld.com. I think they do attract a lot of visitors and the faster you can get the word around, the better.

I've circulated photos to the boatyards who I have the e-mail addresses of.

My missus is keeping her beady's open at home.

Another thing to bear in mind. River Lock on the L&L is now 100% keeper operated. Bingley 5 rise is also a blockage point.

In effect this means that Plank Lane is blocked and east of Bingley is blocked.

That assumes though that the keepers have been updated with photos and have their wits about them. A trip out at the weekend might be prudent to share the photos.

BOAT FOUND!!!!! Dear all, thanks so much for all your help, the boat has now been found. Contrary to a few sightings it was in the centre of Burnley and people had moved in to it - it had been filled with all their stuff and the only thing they did to try and disguise it was put up a fake reg and paint a window frame. I guess we were looking too hard for a really crafty steal!!!

BOAT FOUND!!!!! Dear all, thanks so much for all your help, the boat has now been found. Contrary to a few sightings it was in the centre of Burnley and people had moved in to it - it had been filled with all their stuff and the only thing they did to try and disguise it was put up a fake reg and paint a window frame. I guess we were looking too hard for a really crafty steal!!!

:lol: :lol: result culprits captured at all ??

Cheers guys, no culprits caught as yet, but seeing as the boat was taken back to its mooring by British Waterways with all their clothes and their computer on it they may end up turning themselves in! Apparently forensics are going to go over it.

re the earlier comment about window configuration being the same in the 2 boats pictured, my dad built them both, hence they are both backwards (easier to make a brew while sailing!), and the red one is his steam powered one which no thieves would get very far with!!!

He built them both? Aren't they Liverpool hulls? Or do you mean he fitted them both out himself?

I noticed the large large chimney, or should that be funnel? on the top of the "red" one at the back!

I don't think I've seen mention of it on the UK Rec Waterways newsgroup? Maybe it would be worth the OP posting something on there, and, as much as I have to say it, Narrowboatworld.com. I think they do attract a lot of visitors and the faster you can get the word around, the better.

Tom is on holiday. he called on us today at Berko.

Sue

If you want to offload their computer, assuming the coppers don't nick it, I'll have it... :lol:

I've said it before, but I think it's sad to know that people do this, I mean, what does it gain them? My guess is they stole it cos they were booted out of a house cos of debts or something, and thought that a narrowboat isn't worth much to anyone!!! But I think it's crazy, as with people like this lot here, they will not get far, even if they repaint it, change the insides and give it a new name & number, it's still got distinguishing features that would be easy to spot to the eagle-eyed!!! :lol:

I hope they're caught and dealt with properly (and not just a slap on the wrist like most criminals get these days!!!)... :lol:

Anyways, I like the configuration your father has, I'd personally prefer to have the galley and living space at the back and the bedroom & bathroom up front, if I had a narrowboat that is, I think if I ever get the money to do it I'd look for a boat in that style, makes more sense to me, and yes it's easier to brew up with the galley at the back, especially if you're on your own and on a straight bit of canal... :lol:

But I wonder if the stuff on board actually belongs to the thieves? I'm only saying so because a friends brother bought a nb that turned out to be stolen. (For a stupidly low price TBF). If it was the thieves, they've got no idea really have they?

Well, it sounds as if they were going to move aboard if they left clothes on the boat, either that or use the boat to transport themselves "secretly" away from something, but stopping at Burnley was definitely a mistake, too many people about there, especially up along the embankment, but hey, their mistake meant the boat is back with whom it belongs to, and the thieves are out in the cold with no clothes and no 'pooter... :lol:

Well, it sounds as if they were going to move aboard if they left clothes on the boat, either that or use the boat to transport themselves "secretly" away from something, but stopping at Burnley was definitely a mistake, too many people about there, especially up along the embankment, but hey, their mistake meant the boat is back with whom it belongs to, and the thieves are out in the cold with no clothes and no 'pooter... :lol:

Lock the little "persons" up.

I am glad you have found your boat.

x

But I wonder if the stuff on board actually belongs to the thieves? I'm only saying so because a friends brother bought a nb that turned out to be stolen. (For a stupidly low price TBF). If it was the thieves, they've got no idea really have they?

I had a land rover stolen once and, when I got it back, it had a load of top quality tools in, that weren't mine. The police said that as far as they were concerned they were returning my property but would give me a ring, if the gear was reported stolen.

The one thing that was missing, though, was a very big holdall, full of dirty clothes, bound for the laundrette and, as I'd recently been in dock, with a wooden boat, they were not too pleasant!

Edited by carlt