best way to receive internet

owen

Featured Posts

do you have a definition for cruising?

maybe pubs with 'free wireless' would be an idea

or a USB dungle if your talking about boating

boating but was wondering if any problems encountered with mobile broadband or if one was better than the other in terms of provider

boating but was wondering if any problems encountered with mobile broadband or if one was better than the other in terms of provider

I can only speak for the provider I use, it is 3 mobile Broadband using a usb dongle/modem bought from 3Mobile on Pay As You Go, I find it excellent. £10 top up gives me a month at 1GB usage or you can opt to pay £15 for 3GB with futher usage plans available. The only downside as with any mobile broadband is the lack of 3G signal in some areas, usually near the towns and cities it is good.

I also use a '3' 3G dongle when on the boat, but reception is variable. I recently did a trip from Northampton to Market Harborough - reception was fine up to Crick, but I was mostly on GPRS beyond there.

As far as which network is concerned, I think they all have 'holes', just in different places! There have been several threads on this topic so you might like to try doing a few searches for some more info.

Peter

It depends how close you are to the mast and also stuff such as whether you are in a cutting or not can affect it too, and I've noticed, even the weather can make a difference.

Some of the masts are shared by service providers and some are not.

You can find the locations, owners and types of mast on this site sitefinder

In simple laymans terms - gprs - really slow, slower than old skool dial up that you used to get in the olden days. If you have big files to download you will get internet rage. it's just about ok for simple text emails and bulletin boards.

There are now two speeds available on the 3g network, it just depends on your dongle and whether you are near an upgraded mast or not. Theres the regular 3g and also HSDPA+ which is quite a bit faster. Both of them are fine for using Skype, instant messaging and watching streamed videos (e.g. youtube), it's just that one is a bit faster.

If you do want to use Skype, or IM you might want to check with the service provider - some charge more to use these services, but its quite a while since I checked so I'm not sure.

If you want to know about who offers the best service this forum is a good place to start.

Finally if you use iplayer and youtube or do much other downloading, be vey careful to check your usage. There are small limits for mobile broadband - they are plenty enough unless you are constantly downloading, if you do this alot, beware!

Edited by Lady Muck

It depends how close you are to the mast and also stuff such as whether you are in a cutting or not can affect it too, and I've noticed, even the weather can make a difference.

Some of the masts are shared by service providers and some are not.

You can find the locations, owners and types of mast on this site sitefinder

In simple laymans terms - gprs - really slow, slower than old skool dial up that you used to get in the olden days. If you have big files to download you will get internet rage. it's just about ok for simple text emails and bulletin boards.

There are now two speeds available on the 3g network, it just depends on your dongle and whether you are near an upgraded mast or not. Theres the regular 3g and also HSDPA+ which is quite a bit faster. Both of them are fine for using Skype, instant messaging and watching streamed videos (e.g. youtube), it's just that one is a bit faster.

If you do want to use Skype, or IM you might want to check with the service provider - some charge more to use these services, but its quite a while since I checked so I'm not sure.

If you want to know about who offers the best service this forum is a good place to start.

Finally if you use iplayer and youtube or do much other downloading, be vey careful to check your usage. There are small limits for mobile broadband - they are plenty enough unless you are constantly downloading, if you do this alot, beware!

I agree that coverage varies but have found my 3 dongle to be great.

Am moored at All Oaks wood on the Coventry tonight, winds howling, rains lashing down, log fires roaring, whiskies warming :lol: & im receiving 2 signal bars with HSDPA which is as fast as my home broadband!

Have been connected without many drop outs apart from when i knocked the dongle out of the curtain rail, have been connected for several hours, having used 50MB of my 5GB usage tonight.

I use a T-Mobile dongle and have had similar experiences to the people with the "3" dongle.

I have sometimes achieved 2Mb/sec rates but, most of the time whilst cruising, the available rate is between several hundred bits per sec and a lower limit of around 40-50kb/sec. Even the latter though is still fine for accessing email and exchanging MSN messages providing you don't want to download MB's.

T-Mobile's also includes free access to 20,000 (so they claim) wireless hotspots at airports, hotels some restaurants and coffee bars (eg: Starbucks). This means one doesn't even have to use the dongle but can connect with your internal wireless card. (T Mobile provide a user name and password for this).

If you do get a dongle, make sure you ask them for the SMTP address of the provider otherwise you will be able to receive emails but you will not be able to send them through Outlook or Outlook Express. (You will have to access your web server page). In the T-Mobile shop (and with a friend getting a "3" dongle in CarPhone Warehouse) they thought I was a Martian when I asked for it and had no clue about what I was talking. I asked them to call their technical department and the SMTP address was provided.

For reference it is:

T-Mobile: smtp.t-email.co.uk

"3": smtp-mbb.three.co.uk

Chris

PS: Edited to say that I went for the 3GB limit per month and I never even get anywhere close to that limit.... a few hundred MB's being typical for a month. So even a 1GB limit will be more than adequate for most users IMHO. Vodafone and "3" charge heavily if you do go over the limit. T-Mobile do not charge but ask you to update to a higher limit if you consistently go over your current limit. Of course, if you are a liveaboard, your usage will be much higher than the casual cruiser.

Edited by chris w

i used to have 3, t-mobile and orange sims and used the one that I could get a signal on.

Lately I've found that I can get a signal, on 3, just about anywhere. I don't use a dongle, though. My phone works fine as a modem and you don't need two contracts.

i used to have 3, t-mobile and orange sims and used the one that I could get a signal on.

Lately I've found that I can get a signal, on 3, just about anywhere. I don't use a dongle, though. My phone works fine as a modem and you don't need two contracts.

But you do need to extend your contract (and monthly sub) to include mobile broadband. If you use your mobile phone without doing this, you will get severly punished financially. For example, Vodafone charge £2 per megabyte for non-contract usage of mobile broadband through your mobile phone!!!!

Chris

But you do need to extend your contract (and monthly sub) to include mobile broadband. If you use your mobile phone without doing this, you will get severly punished financially. For example, Vodafone charge £2 per megabyte for non-contract usage of mobile broadband through your mobile phone!!!!

Chris

True, I pay £20 per month for 500 minutes of talk-time and unlimited internet access.

A fiver extra a month was a bargain and, I suspect, one that will never be repeated.

if you want to send emails via your Outlook - get a gmail account - it will work just fine!

It will work fine on all acounts so long as one knows the SMTP address. Even for gmail, one still needs to enter the SMTP account into the Outlook "Servers" page.

Chris

You could also purchase a Billion 3G / ADSL2+ Router (run off 12v). http://www.billion.uk.com/product/3g.htm

Locate it somewhere on the roof (roofbox) and run RJ45 cable/wireless inside to your laptop/PC. Making sure you always have the best signal.

I think at least one model take the sim directly meaning no dongle!

It will work fine on all acounts so long as one knows the SMTP address. Even for gmail, one still needs to enter the SMTP account into the Outlook "Servers" page.

Chris

We host our websites with Zen- Zen won't allow it, server security they tell me. So I have to use gmail in order to send out.

if you want to send emails via your Outlook - get a gmail account - it will work just fine!

Even better, find out if you can access your e-mail account online through your ISP's website, I can do this with my ntlworld address if I'm using a non NTL/Virgin connection... :lol:

Even better, find out if you can access your e-mail account online through your ISP's website, I can do this with my ntlworld address if I'm using a non NTL/Virgin connection... :lol:

My ISP is Vodafone - because I don't have a landline. Did you boat dwellers know you can get a 'landline' by stealth? I have an 0208 number with Skype. If people dial this number it comes through to my computer and it even has an answerphone for when I'm not online.

Did you boat dwellers know you can get a 'landline' by stealth? I have an 0208 number with Skype. If people dial this number it comes through to my computer and it even has an answerphone for when I'm not online.

Is that standard rate to call from a BT type phone?

Can you get regional area codes or are they all 0208?

Justme

Is that standard rate to call from a BT type phone?

Can you get regional area codes or are they all 0208?

Justme

Visit their website clicky .

I got the landline because a client in Hong Kong refused to use Skype or Googletalk (everyone else I've ever worked with uses VOIP - China seems to run on it!, but not him) - every time he called me on my mobile it would cost me - my phone bill was £150!. So I got the fake landline, so he could call that. They do give you a choice of numbers, there may be more than one area code that you can use.