D.C. A.C. Grounds On Steel

Featured Posts

A lot of dusty things can explode, sugar, custard powder, grain dust etc. as you say a small explosion stirs up the other dust laying around and that also goes off in a chain reaction. Coal dust was also used to fuel engines.

Yeh I know. Factories that have to move stuff like that have to take antistatic precautions to stop explosions.

Could it be the fuel of the future?

Justme

A lot of dusty things can explode, sugar, custard powder, grain dust etc. as you say a small explosion stirs up the other dust laying around and that also goes off in a chain reaction. Coal dust was also used to fuel engines.

They can explode if they're hydrocarbons with the addition of a lot of oxygen............

They can explode if they're hydrocarbons with the addition of a lot of oxygen............

I believe that flour mills have also been known to explode because of the flour/air mix. Thanks Chris, I'm now going to find out if flour is a hyrdrocarbon - I guess that it will be.

Richard

Edit: Yes it is, or rather Starch is in the form of polysaccharides. Learning all the time....

Edited by RLWP

No; I meant bullshit can be explosive. fine wood dust esp. from sanding operations can also be explosive. Static electricity has been known to spark it off in extractor units, which sometimes need to be fitted with a bare internal earth wire.

My mistake!!! :lol:

As this is a long topic and I am a slow reader, this may have already been covered, but here goes.

My shore power only connects to my battery charger, charger to batteries, batteries to inverter (own cables) to 240 sockets via trip fuse.

Also from batteries to 12 volt fuse panal and buzz bar (own cables).

The battery negatives are common and are connected to the engine.

My question is, is this acceptable or should there be anything else?

thanks

Nick

As this is a long topic and I am a slow reader, this may have already been covered, but here goes.

My shore power only connects to my battery charger, charger to batteries, batteries to inverter (own cables) to 240 sockets via trip fuse.

Also from batteries to 12 volt fuse panal and buzz bar (own cables).

The battery negatives are common and are connected to the engine.

My question is, is this acceptable or should there be anything else?

thanks

Nick

Yes Nick.

1. You need to earth the incoming mains to the hull.

2. Install an RCD (Residual Current Device) on the mains circuit before the "trip fuse" (MCB= miniature circuit breaker).

3. You also need to double check that the engine is actually connected to the hull. Don't assume it is - measure it. It is sitting on rubber mounts. If it isn't then you need to connect the engine to the hull.

4. You need to connect the earth and neutral of your inverter together and ensure the inverter case is earthed to the hull. Otherwise the RCD will not blow if there is an inverter live fault. Some inverters come supplied already like this (eg: Sterling)

Chris

3. You also need to double check that the engine is actually connected to the hull. Don't assume it is - measure it. It is sitting on rubber mounts. If it isn't then you need to connect the engine to the hull.

Whilst technicaly correct just saying measure it wont actualy ensure a good earth path. It could be earthing via a control cable (or light weight cable) that will happily carry the millivolts or what ever it is of the test current but not a real world load. So unless you are going to "mega" test you would be better off physicaly checking that it has a earth bonding cable fitted.

Have seen quite a few car choke cables (ok not for a few years now) used as an earth cable once the original earth has corroded off.

Justme

Whilst technicaly correct just saying measure it wont actualy ensure a good earth path. It could be earthing via a control cable (or light weight cable) that will happily carry the millivolts or what ever it is of the test current but not a real world load. So unless you are going to "mega" test you would be better off physicaly checking that it has a earth bonding cable fitted.

Have seen quite a few car choke cables (ok not for a few years now) used as an earth cable once the original earth has corroded off.

Justme

Austin mini's were famous for it.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice try Colin but the diagrams are wrong!

diag 1 the earth of the the transformer is connected to the hull so any earth fault in the transformer or its wiring will make the hull live

diag 2 there is no earth on the transformer at all, so any earth fault in the transformer or its wiring will make the hull live

diag 3 There is still no earth on the transformer but at least its on the shore, nore is there an RCD on the O/P of the transformer

Having said that diag 3 would be OK provided the core and case of the transformer weer earthed back to the supply

Julian