fishing from a narrow boat

tedlet

Featured Posts

Does any one know how the law stands with regards fishing from your own narrow boat whilst on board in situ or in a marina

Tedlet

When in a marina, I think it is down to the permission of the owner.

When on the canal/river - if there are Fishing Club signs up, then you are not supposed to fish off your boat without a licence from them.

Some parts of the River Thames are free fishing (Sunbury to Runnymede??).

This is not the full story, just the bits I (think) I know!

J.

You need a rod licence to fish from anywhere and a permit or day ticket, where appropriate.

According to waterscape you are only allowed to fish from the stern of your boat but they were probably not allowing for pedants, when they wrote this:

"Fishing is permitted from the back of a boat moored to the towing path bank. However:

1. You must possess a valid permit or be prepared to purchase one from the controlling angling club or riparian owner when approached on any fishery that offers day permits.

2. You must also possess an Environment Agency rod licence available in advance online or from any post office."

You need a rod licence to fish from anywhere and a permit or day ticket, where appropriate.

According to waterscape you are only allowed to fish from the stern of your boat but they were probably not allowing for pedants, when they wrote this:

"Fishing is permitted from the back of a boat moored to the towing path bank. However:

1. You must possess a valid permit or be prepared to purchase one from the controlling angling club or riparian owner when approached on any fishery that offers day permits.

2. You must also possess an Environment Agency rod licence available in advance online or from any post office."

Cheers blokes, just as i thought.

Any one know how big the carp go on kennet and avon canal as making my way there soon from grand union

Don't presume the advice above is correct just 'cos its from the "blokes".

The Fishing Clubs can ask you not to fish from your boat in their waters.

However, we still do, on the K&A, and our biggest carp so far (at Devizes) is 12lb.

but there are bigger.

J.

Cheers blokes, just as i thought.

Any one know how big the carp go on kennet and avon canal as making my way there soon from grand union

Big enough! Plenty in the 15-30lb, as always some stretches are better than others, not trying to teach you to suck eggs but a good quality unhooking mat is essential if you want to bring a carp on board.

Which stretch will you be heading for?

Paul

J.

Well boys and girls i have fished for over thirty years man and boy. Had hundreds of twenty+ lb carp from grand union over the last ten years biggest to date is 36.8lb from out side milton keynes. Moving to new waters and pastures new for life work and play. Pllus cod season approaching and need to be neaqrer sea for that. Visit my web site if you are adventurous and would love to know more about living from the land. www.wildfoodlarder.com

Tedlet

Well boys and girls i have fished for over thirty years man and boy. Had hundreds of twenty+ lb carp from grand union over the last ten years biggest to date is 36.8lb from out side milton keynes. Moving to new waters and pastures new for life work and play. Pllus cod season approaching and need to be neaqrer sea for that. Visit my web site if you are adventurous and would love to know more about living from the land. www.wildfoodlarder.com

Tedlet

You eat the carp you catch from the canal :lol:

According to the BW link, you don't need a permit from the angling club provided that you are prepared to purchase one if asked.

And by no means all waters are subject to the jurisdiction of ACs anyway - so go ahead!

No i do not eat carp revolting things, and i have eaten them in several countries, not one of which can cook them with any finesse.

Pike are good though and smoke very well once brined. Makes a great pate.

Do you need a rod licence if you use a trawling net behind the boat whilst moving?

(If you do this, take care it doesn't get mangled in the prop)

Giving rise to answer number 642 in the list of interesting replies to "why I can't possibly slow down past moored boats".

"Sorry! Got to go at this speed, or my trawler net is going to go limp".

Giving rise to answer number 642 in the list of interesting replies to "why I can't possibly slow down past moored boats".

"Sorry! Got to go at this speed, or my trawler net is going to go limp".

How dare you Sir, I always raise my nets and slow down when passing moored boats, unless of course they are unlicensed.

• 1 month later...
I think it means "No spear fishing"

And first prize goes to Bazza. The signs mean do not steal our fish, do not eat our fish, and do not kill our fish ,in that order. And yes the latter is to depict spear fishing.

First prize is one days fishing with me.

Second prize is two days fishing with me.