Injector Pipe BMC 1.5

Featured Posts

I think we are also saying that BMC packed up mesing about with olives in the 1960's, probably because they come loose on the pipes.

Richard

Yes,

Copper olives onto a steel pipe doesn't sound the cleverest of arrangements, given how soft one metal is, and how hard the other.

It might be one thing in the low pressure side of things, but once into the injector feeds themselves, the pressure can be enormous.

Certainly my 1800 doesn't use olives, which is why I didn't expect the 1500 to. Even then I've been surprised as to just how much force is needed on the nuts to stop any fuel leaking.

The rub in this case is ASAP saying different shaped pipes are used on different versions of the 1500, (so why do they only have one type of pipe in their catalogue then ?).

Let's just hope what turns up fits.

But it does beg the question, are all the other pipes fitted with olives, and will they stay put indefinitely ?

The rub in this case is ASAP saying different shaped pipes are used on different versions of the 1500, (so why do they only have one type of pipe in their catalogue then ?).

Let's just hope what turns up fits.

But it does beg the question, are all the other pipes fitted with olives, and will they stay put indefinitely ?

It wasn't ASAP who said that, it was tooley's boat yard. I have no idea about the other pipes.... perhaps I should check... hmm... perhaps not.

I have just noticed that my order wasn't processed until today, which means the pipe won't arrive until tomorrow... hrmph.

I have just noticed that my order wasn't processed until today, which means the pipe won't arrive until tomorrow... hrmph.

Not quite ASAP then. :lol:

ASAWFLI Supplies, possibly ? (As soon as we feel like it.)

It wasn't ASAP who said that, it was tooley's boat yard. I have no idea about the other pipes.... perhaps I should check... hmm... perhaps not.

What's on the other end of the pipe that's slipped out? It will have to be disconnected anyway, so might as well see.

cheers,

Pete.

What's on the other end of the pipe that's slipped out? It will have to be disconnected anyway, so might as well see.

cheers,

Pete.

It hasn't slipped out. It was just leaking. It is an olive.

OH I SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I will check this evening.....

and watch what you say about Olive - especially now she exists.. I know she does because John O said so! (teee heeeeeee)

Edited by Bones

The later type directly supersedes the early one. It can be used in place of either.....

The new injector pipe has arrived, and I will see if it fits tonight. I am also, you will be delighted to hear, the owner of a new injector pipe that comes with two olives...!

Bones, you asked about testing the engine on 3 pots with your dodgey no2 injector pipe off. But were worrried about high pressure disel spray making a mess or worse. There is one way of doing this.

Tie an inflatable balloon over the end of the injector pipe (party balloon). Then run test. but not for long. The balloon will expand to collect diesel, and has enough give not to be immediately penetrated by the spray.. I emphasise again, not for long.

Or alternatively stick a bit of plastic pipe over it and feed it into a glass jar for as long as you like. In the absence of an injector there is no pressure there to worry about, certainly no evil skin penetrating "spray scepteceamia".

The new injector pipe has arrived, and I will see if it fits tonight. I am also, you will be delighted to hear, the owner of a new injector pipe that comes with two olives...!

And are they copper, brass or bronze on a steel pipe ?

And are they on the very end of the pipe, as you described with current one, or with some pipe protruding ?

Are they just squeezed on, or soldered or brazed ?

(Questions! - so many questions....)

Copper olives onto a steel pipe doesn't sound the cleverest of arrangements, given how soft one metal is, and how hard the other.

Surely thats the point?

??????

I'm not following.

What I'm trying to say is that if the pipe doesn't "give" under compression, then the olive isn't going to be securely fixed to it.

If the (soft) olive distorts but the (hard) pipe doesn't, I can't see it as a very secure arrangement to withstand hundreds of psi pressure.

What's wrong with that line of thinking ?

Edited by alan_fincher

Alan,

I was interested in your picture of Olive - must be quite an old one as Phipps Brewers have not been around for years - any idea of the date.

Albi.

:lol:

Easter 1969.

I probably ought to credit the photographer, Phil Quick, (yes, honestly!....)

Aha! The plot thickens...

Are the olives brass (yellowish) or copper (pinkish)?

Can they be slid off the pipe or are they brazed on?

When fitting the pipe it might help to put some clean engine oil on the olive and the threads of the compression fitting to help reduce friction and so get more force on the olive.

cheers,

Pete.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SOB

I hate olive. Olive is NOT my new best friend.

Injector pipes all in tact, start engine - NO! Boo Hiss. Engine turns over but doesn't fire. So, I decide to check the fuel is getting through, do all that. Crack open a couple of injector pipes, turn the engine over, tighten the injectors and vrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

It vrrrmmmmmmmmmmmmms for a while and then DIES!

Take air filter off, and there is white smoke coming out. AND just before it dies there is white smoke from the exhaust.

What do I do now?

Injector pipes all in tact, start engine - NO! Boo Hiss. Engine turns over but doesn't fire. So, I decide to check the fuel is getting through, do all that. Crack open a couple of injector pipes, turn the engine over, tighten the injectors and vrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Take air filter off, and there is white smoke coming out. AND just before it dies there is white smoke from the exhaust.

What do I do now?

Did you remember to turn the fuel back on?

Richard

What do I do now?

Might just be some air working it's way out of the injector pipes, I'd try again.

Keep an eye out for leaks from the pipes though. :lol:

Also I'd clean the pipes then put some black tape or a cable tie round where they meet the nut at the end.

That way if they start to slip out it's easy to tell.

cheers,

Pete.

cheeky tart.

yes.

Might just be some air working it's way out of the injector pipes, I'd try again.

Keep an eye out for leaks from the pipes though. :lol:

Also I'd clean the pipes then put some black tape or a cable tie round where they meet the nut at the end.

That way if they start to slip out it's easy to tell.

cheers,

Pete.

OK. Will go and do it again... it did run for a few minutes though