Mooring techniques

parasal

Featured Posts

I know...avoid it but not always possible.

Intersted to know if there are any handy tips I am missing out on for mooring where the bank is quite narrow?

I`ve never had any trouble before but mostly due to speeding hire boats I managed to loose a front pin yesterday and returned from lunch to wandering boat! Luckily I hadnt consumed too much beer and secured it fairly easily but now panicking while at work that it wont be there when I get back!

Is it better to not put the pins too deep so as not to "sever" off pieces of bank? Sloping away from canal? Slack ropes?

Any advice gratefully recieved!

sal

Intersted to know if there are any handy tips I am missing out on for mooring where the bank is quite narrow?

I`ve never had any trouble before but mostly due to speeding hire boats I managed to loose a front pin yesterday and returned from lunch to wandering boat! Luckily I hadnt consumed too much beer and secured it fairly easily but now panicking while at work that it wont be there when I get back!

Is it better to not put the pins too deep so as not to "sever" off pieces of bank? Sloping away from canal? Slack ropes?

sal

Deep is good, and mark the mooring stakes with something so walkers dont trip on em.

fore and aft springs will reduce your forward and backward movement and reduce the wear on your bow and stern stakes

sal

Hi Sal,

the main culprit for pulling pegs out is your own boat. If it can surge backwards and forwards its momentum will easily pull a pin out. We always try to run the ropes out as far forwards and backwards as possible to prevent the boat surgiing. We always knock the pins right in and make sure the rope is right on the ground to reduce the lever effect and tie off back on the boat.

This works for us.

Richard

Deep is good, and mark the mooring stakes with something so walkers dont trip on em.

fore and aft springs will reduce your forward and backward movement and reduce the wear on your bow and stern stakes

Is that the type you get for marine boats? They are rubber and hold some "slack" in the rope for you?

Anything in black rubber sounds good to me!! :lol:

Is that the type you get for marine boats? They are rubber and hold some "slack" in the rope for you?

Nope.

A spring is a rope that goes bacwards from the front, or forwards from the back of the boat.

Sorry but you'll have to lose that image of the black rubber I'm afraid!

Springs are just terms for additional mooring ropes. The normal ones (proper term for them escapes me just now) should lie at an angle just ahead of the bow and back from the stern but the springs are run to two other pins or rings at an angle almost parallel to the hull side. The bow one to a pin as far back towards the stern as poss and the stern one to a pin as far forward towards the bow as poss. They should actually cross over each other near the mid point of the boat length. It's probably easier to draw but if you have a recent Waterways World Mag there was an article on mooring techniques by Chris Deuchar which covered it.

Richard

Those rubber thingies are used to lessen the effects of snatching or snubbing and I think tend to save deck cleats from being ripped off as the rope snatches in lively conditions,

Dont think they would work on canals as its not a case of the bow going up at the same time as the stern going down in a swell, its a case of the boat moving backwards and forwards with the flow of the water as a boat passes or approaches

Springs, is a term used to describe the actual rope used as Mayalld describes above

edited to add

this link may assist in describing them

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=VLg6Lx5...2&ct=result

Edited by saltysplash

Those rubber thingies are used to lessen the effects of snatching or snubbing and I think tend to save deck cleats from being ripped off as the rope snatches in lively conditions,

Dont think they would work on canals as its not a case of the bow going up at the same time as the stern going down in a swell, its a case of the boat moving backwards and forwards with the flow of the water as a boat passes or approaches

Springs, is a term used to describe the actual rope used as Mayalld describes above

See also the diagram in post 11 of This thread

Running the mooring lines well foward and backwards gives a lot of the benefits without the extra ropes.

Richard

And you`re definate its got nothing to do with black rubber?? :lol:

Best get some more rope and another mooring pin then!

Hi,

I use 2 pins at each end of the boat, each pair hammered in at an angle and crossing, tie the mooring lines to the crossing point, these and a 'spring' at each end will hold the boat secure under vitually all circumstances. Speeding boats and deep draughted boats can pass with complete impunity.

Nothing worse than someone 'belly aching' if they can't be bothered to tie up correctly.

Albi

Hi,

I use 2 pins at each end of the boat, each pair hammered in at an angle and crossing, tie the mooring lines to the crossing point, these and a 'spring' at each end will hold the boat secure under vitually all circumstances. Speeding boats and deep draughted boats can pass with complete impunity.

Nothing worse than someone 'belly aching' if they can't be bothered to tie up correctly.

Albi

I`ve seen a center line secures by one pin going back to secure on the boat fore and aft but I have concealed rails and there is nowhere to attatch the rope!

I hope I`m not belly aching.. :lol:

Hi,

Definately not, but it saves a lot of problems if owners tie 'em up tight (boats that is). I moor second boat in on a BW linear mooring and boy, do most boats pass at a good speed - never cause me any problems though. Tight lines, springs and fenders save lots of frayed tempers.

The only time I have complained was years ago, when 2 all males crews on a pair of Bridgewater hire boats came through going 'hell for leather' north, 2 abreast, with a crewman each on the roof each armed with a quanting pole tring to knock the other off. They had just left the pub - now that did warrant a visit to Mike Foster!!

ATB

ALBI.

.......now that did warrant a visit to Mike Foster!!

I'd be interested how he viewed that, as I was told he was himself once apprehended when driving his vintage Bentley away from a pub when he should not have been! :lol:

sal

How did you know it was hire boats which did the deed, as you were in the pub?

Although in canal terms a "snubber" is also the long line used to tow a butty with a motor boat. :lol:

This is what he was asking about - if a boats mooring rope is passed through one end, wrapped aroun the snubber a few times and them fed through the other end, and then made fast in the normal way, it absorbs some of the strain when the rope comes under tension.

http://www.marinemegastore.com/product-product-ECS_3980.htm

Yes I was aware of the other definition of snubber, but thanks anyway. :lol:

Howard

Bigger stakes bang them right into the ground. Life's too short to do the 6 mooring pin macramé

One of the things in the OP was the 'narrow' bank and there is no real solution to this other than asking BW if they would be so kind, when not attending meetings about signage, to repair the bank at that point

How did you know it was hire boats which did the deed, as you were in the pub?

We were sat in the pub watching them speeding by!

Thanks for all the help; I got back to a rescued boat(thankyou Beehive landlord!) but with my new mooring lines and a spring deployed all seems good so far....fingers crossed!

And Chris....I happen to be the Nebnett Thrubwell macrami champion of 1974 :lol:

Life's too short to do the 6 mooring pin macramé

Takes a few minutes, prevents boat moving, reduces damage to bank from pins moving, reduces damage to boat fittings when boats go past too fast.......... even on a narrow bank

Can't see why anyone would want to moor properly then :lol:

Oh yeah!

Forgot to add using springs allows you to get into and out of tight moorings WHATEVER the wind is doing without breaking into a sweat :lol:

Not sure if this will work but thought you may like to see the most excellent(and accurate) diagram of mooring macrame that Clivo did for me...its really very good!

Edited by parasal