Caldon Canal

dor

Featured Posts

Does anyone have up-to-date limits on boat lengths for winding at the ends of the caldon canal? I've done them both in a 50ft boat, but now have another 7 feet to contend with.

I.e. the winding hole just before Froghall Tunnel and the winding hole at the Leek end, after the Leek Tunnel.

Waterscape boaters guide gives 45ft for the Leek one, which I don't believe, and doesn'r even show the one before the Froghall tunnel.

Many thanks

Edited by dor

Does anyone have up-to-date limits on boat lengths for winding at the ends of the caldon canal? I've done them both in a 50ft boat, but now have another 7 feet to contend with.

I.e. the winding hole just before Froghall Tunnel and the winding hole at the Leek end, after the Leek Tunnel.

Waterscape boaters guide gives 45ft for the Leek one, which I don't believe, and doesn'r even show the one before the Froghall tunnel.

Many thanks

The winding hole at Froghall (before the tunnel) will easilly accommodate a 57ft boat - if you can get throgh the tunnel then you can turn a full length boat. The tunnel gauge at the tail of lock 17 is set slightly on the low side.

As for the Leek winding hole then again no problem for a 57ft boat.

I regularly wind a 57 boat at both places.

Ripple has winded just before Froghall Tunnel, she is 62 feet and a bit. A few years ago I winded Odana at the very end of the Leek Branch, not the winding hole but the feeder, Odana (which belongs to another member of thos forum) is 52 feet long and went round with ease: I'd say 6 feet spare but if you end up backing the 100 yards or so to the winding hole just before the end please don't blame me. The winding hole itself is full length.

Many thanks

I turned my 57 ft in the winding hole just before the tunnel a month ago. No problems

Ripple has winded just before Froghall Tunnel, she is 62 feet and a bit. A few years ago I winded Odana at the very end of the Leek Branch, not the winding hole but the feeder, Odana (which belongs to another member of thos forum) is 52 feet long and went round with ease: I'd say 6 feet spare but if you end up backing the 100 yards or so to the winding hole just before the end please don't blame me. The winding hole itself is full length.

Sad to say that because of silting the limit at the end of the Leek Arm is now 40ft (up to 45 if you are shallow draughted)

For clarity, is there still a winding hole about 100 yards from the end though?

Yes, that's still there. Turned a 70' with absolutely no problem whatsoever. We then reversed part of the way up to the very end, which is only about 100 yds furtner on from the winding hole.

Pete

Yes, that's still there. Turned a 70' with absolutely no problem whatsoever. We then reversed part of the way up to the very end, which is only about 100 yds furtner on from the winding hole.

Pete

Maybe I should add that we didn't try Froghall Tunnel. We winded 70' with no problem above Flint Mill Lock. Whilst it would have been nice to have tried the tunnel, we plumped for caution as had we not been able to turn at the tunnel, it would have been 2 miles in reverse, and The Black Lion at Consall Forge was already open..

Pete.

Check out the lorry graveyard whilst you are there. It would be criminal if the tree hugging environmentalists or the value of scrap were ever to cause them to be removed. Every one of them is British made, from the days that we actually built things. Such great names as Atkinson, Foden, ERF...... All now gone for ever..... :lol:

The field should be scheduled as an ancient monument..... :lol:

Edited by Hairy-Neil

Check out the lorry graveyard whilst you are there. It would be criminal if the tree hugging environmentalists or the value of scrap were ever to cause them to be removed. Every one of them is British made, from the days that we actually built things. Such great names as Atkinson, Foden, ERF...... All now gone for ever..... :lol:

Sammy Clewes owns the field and land; i remember as a kid all those wagons still intact, not rotten. He used to have a USA marine beach landing craft on his farm. I work on the Caldon and any 57 ft boat will turn just before the tunnel at Froghall, the profile of the tunnel is 5 foot x 5 foot, on the lock before the tunnel (Flintmill lock) you have a plastic profile as a guide, if you just touch the plastic you will get through, B/W have been a bit cautious with their measurements to protect the boats. If you attempt the tunnel keep to the left as about 20ft in the roof kinks out abit and you will rub your paintwork,,, for your info, its been many years since a boat has got stuck in the tunnel, but many a big boat has had to reverse about one mile to the lock as it can not wind, please check the info board at the lock for length issues.

As we approach the peak of the season for boating, I can honestly say I have never known the Caldon to be so quiet, it is truly a wonderful canal especially when you get out of Stoke, if you get the chance please pay us a visit.

i remember as a kid all those wagons still intact, not rotten.

How long ago was that, I guess in the 1960's?

I've been several times over the last 20 years, I recall my first visit there being the odd remnants of wooden cab frames and coachwork surviving. On my last trip a couple of years ago just about every bit of wood had returned to nature.

I have taken lots of photographs of them over the years but never had the time to fully document exactly what is there.... Some are easily identified by their makers insignia on the hub or engine rocker covers. Others would take a little deeper knowledge as they'll likely have the ubiquitous Gardner engine.

Turned 70ft in the hole just before Froghall Tunnel a few years back, however, I don't think 70ft 1 inch would have made it!!

Tim.

The area before Froghall Tunnel has been considerably rebuilt over the last few years with a hard towpath edge and gabion walls to the winding hole. There is no way that A 70 foot boat will turn there now.

Tim

How long ago was that, I guess in the 1960's?

I've been several times over the last 20 years, I recall my first visit there being the odd remnants of wooden cab frames and coachwork surviving. On my last trip a couple of years ago just about every bit of wood had returned to nature.

I have taken lots of photographs of them over the years but never had the time to fully document exactly what is there.... Some are easily identified by their makers insignia on the hub or engine rocker covers. Others would take a little deeper knowledge as they'll likely have the ubiquitous Gardner engine.

Yes Back in the early 70`s,, to be honest i dont know my trucks but foden seem to be there,, i will take a few snaps of the grave yard as it is now and post them, there must have been close to 100

As we approach the peak of the season for boating, I can honestly say I have never known the Caldon to be so quiet, it is truly a wonderful canal especially when you get out of Stoke, if you get the chance please pay us a visit.

If you're on The Caldon this year, and you get the chance, do try to visit The Coachmaker's Arms at Hanley. It's a super pub, but it's under threat of demolision. The city council want to build a bus station on it.. A bit two-faced given that the same city council published a brochure showing the pub as being an attraction to the area. Check out their website The Coachmakers, Hanley and sign the petition.

Pete.

Just back from the trip and had a great time. Winded fine at Froghall in the hole before the tunnel, but wouldn't want to turn much more than my 57ft. BW say 65ft but I would think that was tight but it might just go round. I've now seen 64 ft mentioned elsewhere. No problem winding in the hole above Leek tunnel, but the turning end by the feeder is now pretty well silted up.

Walked up to Rudyard Lake along the feeder - well worth it if you fancy an easy-going 6 mile walk (3 up 3 back). Also walked round the lake which added another five. Very welcome ice creams from the cafe though!. If you see one of the old boat houses for sale and rather fancy the idea, forget it, you can't afford it! The Black Lion at Consall Forge has apparently changed hands and is generally improved, with a landlord that actually seems to welcome your custom. I'm told the food is good but we didn't eat there. We did eat in the Boat Inn at Cheddleton which was good, but it was very busy and we had to wait for a table at 7.00 on a Thursday night.

The canal was generally very quiet; very few boats moving. No problems going through the bottom stokey bit; there were some groups of lads hanging about on or under some of the bridges, but a smile and a wave seemed to give us safe passage. Stopped twice by the lake at Westport - nice spot and probably the best mooring between Harecastle and the junction.

All in all an excellent trip - well worth doing although we were told by two boaters on the way up that "oh no, wouldn't go there". Fine by me, I like quiet canals.

Edited by dor

Yes Back in the early 70`s,, to be honest i dont know my trucks but foden seem to be there,, i will take a few snaps of the grave yard as it is now and post them, there must have been close to 100

Sadly this is all that remains of field full of lorry`s

Shot015.jpg

Shot016.jpg

Just back from the trip and had a great time. Winded fine at Froghall in the hole before the tunnel, but wouldn't want to turn much more than my 57ft. BW say 65ft but I would think that was tight but it might just go round. I've now seen 64 ft mentioned elsewhere. No problem winding in the hole above Leek tunnel, but the turning end by the feeder is now pretty well silted up.

We turned our 61ft boat at both loctions last year with room to spare but 65ft at Froghall looked the maximum unless you can pass the tunnel.

• 4 months later...
Sadly this is all that remains of field full of lorry`s

Shot015.jpg

Shot016.jpg

These vehicles are thought to have lain here since the 1960s. A guy in his 30s with whom I work used to play on them as a kid, and reports that his father also played there when he was a kid. At that time they were complete vehicles.

I first discovered them in the 1980s and have seen them several times since. I took this series of photos in 2007. I've been meaning to discover what was actually there but never had the time. Alas it is too late, they disappeared this summer. I guess weighed in for scrap when the price sky rocketed.

Not sure what was there but they were all heavyweight British types, so doubtless there were some ERFs and Fodens amongst the vehicles that rested here.

The site should have been declared as a scheduled ancient monument or SSSI, a site of special scientific interest.

121.jpg

122.jpg

119.jpg

117.jpg

123.jpg

125.jpg

124.jpg

116.jpg

115.jpg

120.jpg

118.jpg

Edited by Hairy-Neil

A big tidy up went on a few weeks ago, so it’s pretty much a normal field now.

Also be aware that the Caldon has a few silt/shale problems that build up over winter, the Lock at Oakmeadowford as you enter the river usually needs dredging, so does a brook just after the drawbridge, one down nr the railway line narrows just past the Black lion. No boats been down the Caldon for a few weeks now due to the stoppages at Endon, just take it easy. Also be aware of work going on nr Endon Boat Club after Xmas, something to do with an entrance to a proposed new marina