Lighting fires

moggyjo

Featured Posts

Some people on our moorings have been lighting their fires on a regular basis in the last week or so and have seemed to give up on the fact, that we are ever going to get a summer this year. I havn't lit mine yet and have never lit my fire in July in the past, although I was tempted to do so yesterday.

Anyone out there had their fires on this month?

I was discussing the weather with my Dad and he had heard that people are depressed etc about the weather but that we shouldn't give up just yet... apparently we will have one scorcher of a summer yet!

Some people on our moorings have been lighting their fires on a regular basis in the last week or so and have seemed to give up on the fact, that we are ever going to get a summer this year. I havn't lit mine yet and have never lit my fire in July in the past, although I was tempted to do so yesterday.

Anyone out there had their fires on this month?

I lit my stove last night for the first time in "summer" for 4 years. The barometer thingy suggested that it was 18.7 C but I assume the damp conditions have confused it because there was certainly a nip in the air.

Haven't lit mine for about 2 months now, and I refuse to until it really does get proper cold. I've seen loads of people lighting fires though. I think I am just aclimiatizing to the it, and another layer always helps. I spent many an evening ( even if the winter) outside the in bow enjoying the views and peace and quiet.

But yes, I've seen plenty of fires lit, I just refuse to when it should be summer!

I was discussing the weather with my Dad and he had heard that people are depressed etc about the weather but that we shouldn't give up just yet... apparently we will have one scorcher of a summer yet!

Conversely, I have heard that weather experts predicting July to be the wettest month on record. Not the wettest july, the wettest month! I don't believe it, but I could be convinced.

Yet?? befor what, the great flood, the next ice age, before we all turn into swamp monsters - I sit with a hot water bottle under my feet every night, and its July people. But I still would not swap living in the North West to go back to South Africa, despite the weather - I still love it here :lol:

We lit our fire last night. We were at Staines on the Thames and had just come up river from Hampton Court. We were soaked and the fire was lit to dry everythig off. Nice day though today stopped at Datchet in the sun. :lol:

Edited by gralyn

Haven't lit mine for about 2 months now, and I refuse to until it really does get proper cold. I've seen loads of people lighting fires though. I think I am just aclimiatizing to the it, and another layer always helps. I spent many an evening ( even if the winter) outside the in bow enjoying the views and peace and quiet.

But yes, I've seen plenty of fires lit, I just refuse to when it should be summer!

I agree with Stonehenge. We normally don't light our fire after 1st April and don't relight it until at least 1st October but have to confess to having lit a fire this May once as it was so blooming wet. Have not lit one since and probably won't again until summer stove and chimney maintenance has been completed.

Being chilly and naked as you leap into the shower in the morning is supposed to be good for the circulation don't you know :lol:

D

If I am chilly I tend to cook a roast dinner. Not only does it warm the place up, it is delicious to munch, and then I don't have to cook for a while as I much through the left overs.

Conversely, I have heard that weather experts predicting July to be the wettest month on record. Not the wettest july, the wettest month! I don't believe it, but I could be convinced.

But what about August????

Last two years, I have sat sweltering in the office throughout July, come August, leap on the boat, and it pours.

A wet July and a dry August this year would even things up a bit.

But what about August????

Last two years, I have sat sweltering in the office throughout July, come August, leap on the boat, and it pours.

A wet July and a dry August this year would even things up a bit.

It would also give us a 4 week summer which would be a great improvement on the norm.

It would be easier for us to list the days when our fire has not been lit. We just lit it again half an hour ago. Just had some heavy showers here (just outside Warwick). It’s not just for warmth that we light it, it just makes us feel better when the fire is lit and it is chucking it down outside. It’s also very handy for drying wet cloths by.

We only burn wood in the summer (Ash) so it costs us nothing to light it.

We met a boat recently and the bloke on it said he would love to light their stove (ours was lit with the lovely smell of Ash smoke) but his wife will not have it lit between April and October – our opinion is that life is too short for such nonsense. Providing you are not harming anyone else, live your life the way it pleases you as and when you can…… Sod the date, if you feel better with the fire lit – light it.

Edit to add: The sun has come out now ---- but only for five minutes I suspect.

Edited by Ernie