Crick Show - The real purpose

Maverick

Featured Posts

Forget the weather reports on Crick. Wot about the business side.

Did it reflect what we're all hearing and predicting about the End of the World for boating and the Canals.

Were there fewer exhibitors? Were many boat orders taken? What does the future hold for Crick?

Far fewer people there on Sunday and presumably Monday. THe weather may have had a part to play but then poor weather on a Bank Holiday Weekend is hardly unusual. I would guess that if you were there you had a purpose, either doing what I'd intended to do, collect information and prices for a new boat or else looking to place an order. That's why shutting boat to viewers seemed very short-sighted to me - if you were there in the pelting rain you'd be serious or looking to get serious.

As a point of interest, did anybody get a refund when the show was closed? If the event organisers were competent in any way, they should have taken out insurance against the likelihood of closure. I would assume that some sort of contract is entered into and in principle, that should offer protection against loss. After all, when they take punters' or traders' money, they are offering a service over the period stated. If they are unable to comply with this then compensation should be offered. Unless, of course, it's specifically excluded, in which case, future participation by all is rendered less likely by the loss of goodwill.

Far fewer people there on Sunday and presumably Monday. THe weather may have had a part to play but then poor weather on a Bank Holiday Weekend is hardly unusual. I would guess that if you were there you had a purpose, either doing what I'd intended to do, collect information and prices for a new boat or else looking to place an order. That's why shutting boat to viewers seemed very short-sighted to me - if you were there in the pelting rain you'd be serious or looking to get serious.

As a point of interest, did anybody get a refund when the show was closed? If the event organisers were competent in any way, they should have taken out insurance against the likelihood of closure. I would assume that some sort of contract is entered into and in principle, that should offer protection against loss. After all, when they take punters' or traders' money, they are offering a service over the period stated. If they are unable to comply with this then compensation should be offered. Unless, of course, it's specifically excluded, in which case, future participation by all is rendered less likely by the loss of goodwill.

The PA was instructing people to go back to the entrances for refunds on their way out.

I was told by two exhibitors that they had both sold out of stock on Saturday and the impression I got was that Saturday was exceptional. Sunday visitors were certainly there for a purpose so I think if you met their purpose Sunday was probably OK as well.

I think the company I am associated with exceeded their target by a fairly large margin - mainly due to Saturday and I was more than happy with my feedback.

Over and above the public there is much networking going on between the marine traders etc. I suspect the weekend will not put the proper marine trade off next year.

The PA was instructing people to go back to the entrances for refunds on their way out.

I was told by two exhibitors that they had both sold out of stock on Saturday and the impression I got was that Saturday was exceptional. Sunday visitors were certainly there for a purpose so I think if you met their purpose Sunday was probably OK as well.

I think the company I am associated with exceeded their target by a fairly large margin - mainly due to Saturday and I was more than happy with my feedback.

Over and above the public there is much networking going on between the marine traders etc. I suspect the weekend will not put the proper marine trade off next year.

Craftmaster had a very good Saturday , a poor Sunday and an extremely frustrating and expensive Monday. I`ll be looking for a refund of about £300.00 - but I`ll be surprised if I get it. We certainly have to write off the wage bill for the bank holiday Monday. People I spoke to seemed fairly evenly split between the pleasantly surprised ( until Monday ) and those who think we are all doomed to imminent bankruptcy. We would probably be less sanguine if we didn`t have a very healthy and ever growing market away from the canals.

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Phil Speight

Forget the weather reports on Crick. Wot about the business side.

Did it reflect what we're all hearing and predicting about the End of the World for boating and the Canals.

Were there fewer exhibitors? Were many boat orders taken? What does the future hold for Crick?

I found it very positive - Saturday was excellent. I didn't encounter many who predicted the end of boating as we know it, Jim. Sunday was poor - by lunchtime the car park was pretty empty, and what people there were were mainly in the large Kingfisher marquee (I suspect they were a combination of people who'd boated there and those who were, poor souls, camping). Oh, and the beer tent.

Many people come to the show to browse and enjoy a day out - if I was contemplating that merely as a visitor, I'd have taken one look at the weather on Sunday and gone, "Nah", settled down with the Sunday papers and opened a bottle of wine around lunchtime. Who would go to an outdoor event in those conditions, unless they were going for a specific purpose? Monday was, well it wasn't, as they closed it after half an hour.

Was it worth it as an exhibitor? For me, yes. It was great for networking apart from anything else. And I sold a boat just to put the icing on the cake. But for those who had craned in boats at vast expense, or taken large spaces with lots of equipment on display, it must have been very frustrating, and costly.

Dominic

We had intended to visit on the Saturday but because we wanted to speak to a specific person at Vetus had to put it off until the Monday. We arrived just after 10 at the PA was saying the show was closed. Those that bought tickets at the show were given refunds but because we had bought them in advance on the web we have to go back to the booking agency. After a lot of argument we were allowed to go to the Vetus stand and then we able to visit a few others although the main marquee was locked.

When we left at 11.30 they were still letting cars into the car park. When I remonstrated with the steward they said they were waiting for signs to arrive. Why couldn't they walk along the queue of cars telling people the show was closed?

Where we were moored we were scraped by any number of boats because they were going too slow!

I got the impression that most people thought it was pretty good, considering the weather.

The traders I spoke to were generally surprisingingly cheerful, having had had a good Saturday (when there were queues at many boats) and reasonable Sundays. The organisers of course refunded the visitors entrance money on Sunday - it would have been on TV if they hadn't - but I think that as far as the trade goes, it's a risk they take. Most exhibition space is sold subject to weather and all other risks coming out of the exhibitor's pockets - they could doubtless take out insurance if they wished, at whatever rate!

I'd be very surprised if many exhibitors didn't attend next year, whatever the weather - it's still the biggest inland waterways show, and someone attempting to try to upstage it would have a serious mountain to climb!

I agree with Chris G that no one can account for the weather. However, given that poor weather has dogged this event for some years, surely they could have at least ensured that the large marquee, Kingfisher, didn't leak. Those with leaflets, books, clothing and so forth on their stands had to cover their stuff up on the Sunday. I think that is very poor.

The stewards at the entrance were useless when it came to evacuating the site. Why on earth they didn't just tell those trying to drive in from the road not to bother was ridiculous. Instead they let them drive in as normal, and then those people were stopped when closer to the site and told to turn round in the muddy field, where I would not be surprised if a number got stuck. Suppose there had been a serious accident, which was the concern that led them to close the show. The lack of organisation would have seriously impeded the emergency services.

Edited by Dominic M

We were hoping to go Sunday - but having spent the morning at the tiller in the wind and rain, decided to moor up by bridge 20 and leave it until Monday morning.

A bit hacked off it was cancelled but not as much as the families who had come down the night before, paid for hotels and then turned up Monday to find it all closed!

I suppose that was why the stewards were letting cars in, because the people who had booked could try and get their money back.

Time to rethink the date perhaps?

On Monday, some friends of mine got into the car park in their motorhome around 11.30 ish to be told that the show had been closed an hour before!

All the more galling as I had recommended them to visit on their way home from our campsite in Bedford - they live in Norwich!

Tony.

I got the impression that most people thought it was pretty good, considering the weather.

The traders I spoke to were generally surprisingingly cheerful, having had had a good Saturday (when there were queues at many boats) and reasonable Sundays. The organisers of course refunded the visitors entrance money on Sunday - it would have been on TV if they hadn't - but I think that as far as the trade goes, it's a risk they take. Most exhibition space is sold subject to weather and all other risks coming out of the exhibitor's pockets - they could doubtless take out insurance if they wished, at whatever rate!

I'd be very surprised if many exhibitors didn't attend next year, whatever the weather - it's still the biggest inland waterways show, and someone attempting to try to upstage it would have a serious mountain to climb!

You are right about the weather , risk etc. But speaking as an exhibitor - and our stand alone cost well over £800 - I still can`t see any reason for a high -tech modern marquee to leak quite so badly in fairly average spring rainfall. Gales are another matter and no-one is arguing that the show was closed , merely the way in which it was closed. In all other branches of this discussion I think you will find that exhibitors and visitors are going to have somewhat different views about reasonable risk - specially after what we have had to put up with ( and accepted ) in previous years. Perhaps next year - in the light of this year`s financial implications for those of us who aren`t just on a jolly day out - they may perhaps forgoe the usual substantial price rise as a way of sharing this years lost revenue. They can spend this years rise on hiring better marquees and more sensible security .

As you say , as a show it is by far the biggest and arguably the best. However , I`m not actually sure what we gain from attending it. Anyone buying our product at the show was usually already intending to do so any way and from wherever . We enjoy the opportunity of actually meeting our customers and we can offer them help and advice better face to face than on the phone or by e-mail . The biggest draw back I can see of not attending next year is the canal gossip factor. One year not at Crick and we`d soon be hearing that we were going out of business... has the dropped boat at Stretton been totally written off yet?

Phil

You are right about the weather , risk etc. But speaking as an exhibitor - and our stand alone cost well over £800 - I still can`t see any reason for a high -tech modern marquee to leak quite so badly in fairly average spring rainfall. Gales are another matter and no-one is arguing that the show was closed , merely the way in which it was closed. In all other branches of this discussion I think you will find that exhibitors and visitors are going to have somewhat different views about reasonable risk - specially after what we have had to put up with ( and accepted ) in previous years. Perhaps next year - in the light of this year`s financial implications for those of us who aren`t just on a jolly day out - they may perhaps forgoe the usual substantial price rise as a way of sharing this years lost revenue. They can spend this years rise on hiring better marquees and more sensible security .

As you say , as a show it is by far the biggest and arguably the best. However , I`m not actually sure what we gain from attending it. Anyone buying our product at the show was usually already intending to do so any way and from wherever . We enjoy the opportunity of actually meeting our customers and we can offer them help and advice better face to face than on the phone or by e-mail . The biggest draw back I can see of not attending next year is the canal gossip factor. One year not at Crick and we`d soon be hearing that we were going out of business... has the dropped boat at Stretton been totally written off yet?

Phil

For me it is mostly about simply meeting people. Whether the cost involved makes it worthwhile is another matter, and the jury's still out in my case. There are plenty of ancillary canal businesses who don't go to Crick (by ancillary I mean not boatbuilders) and no one suggests that they have gone out of business. In my field for example neither Braunston Brokerage or Harral ever appear there. Do they lose business because of it? I'm not sure they do.

Dominic

I know of at least one other company that is thinking of possibly only attending every other year, the reason most of their trade comes via the magazines, word of mouth and the internet.

As they pointed out, the trade from the show is minimal and the cost has to be passed on to their customers.

I know of at least one other company that is thinking of possibly only attending every other year, the reason most of their trade comes via the magazines, word of mouth and the internet.

As they pointed out, the trade from the show is minimal and the cost has to be passed on to their customers.

More or less the reason we don't do shows now and also why we cut back the magazines adverts for the same reason.

It's very easy to be convinced by the marketing people that you can't exist without the shows and magazines but the reality is it makes little difference and saves a lot of money.

For the volume boatbuilders it is a bit different their business's rely on volume sales and if they can't sell the volume the business plan unravels very quickly, I think you might find the shows begin to centre on these type of builders because it suits both their marketing needs and show organisers because they tend to take the most exhibition space etc.

Narrowcraft does not do shows for the same reason as Gary.

All our boats are individually designed for the client.

If we had a stock product and were able to sell stock boats then its amother matter.

We are able to give prospective clients more time if they come to our yard as well as seeing recent builds and talking to recent purchasers of our product.

We did have 2 new orders last week from people who went to Crick and after the visit satified themselves that our boats were for them.

For me it is mostly about simply meeting people. Whether the cost involved makes it worthwhile is another matter, and the jury's still out in my case. There are plenty of ancillary canal businesses who don't go to Crick (by ancillary I mean not boatbuilders) and no one suggests that they have gone out of business. In my field for example neither Braunston Brokerage or Harral ever appear there. Do they lose business because of it? I'm not sure they do.

Dominic

Harral were there, Dominic, and Stephen Harral appears in the upcoming UK Boating Get Afloat show on Sky . . along with Jeff Whyatt of BW!

They had a gazebo over on the far side of the marina on Sat and I think on Sun - but they seemed to vanish for Sunday morning, sensible them!

I only went that way as far as the Cotswold Canal Trust tent (gazebo? that's a jolly posh word for a draughty old bit of nylon hanging off a few sticks :lol:) I had intended to take time out on Monday to do a grand tour but......................

I was at Crick on the monday for 15 minutes when we were evacuated....and was told i could have refund via the ticket agent i had got them through. I have sent the tickets off so we will see....but i was told i would get one.