Red diesel price

David

Featured Posts

Hi

Beside this forum and the Engine Digest (Kelvin's) I look now and again at the Yachting and Boating World one http://www.ybw.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/Cat/0/C/1

They have had similar views on the changes to tax etc and seem to have a better organised protest going.

They also last time I looked were telling each other where the best price was available. Aside from this country also where in France was cheapest for those able to "pop" over. It is cheaper there than here NOW and they are already "harmonised" (thanks again to our taxman).

Maybe that is something could be done on here now the cruising season has started. And I don't mean going to France before you start mickey taking. Nothing worse I suspect than filling up with 200 Lt and seeing it 5p a Lt cheaper the next day !!!!

A week and half ago I was told it was 45p at Nantwich basin and last week 40p at Kings Lock. We have someone I've seen on here who moors at Kings lock I think so maybe they could confirm. Wheaton Aston was always well priced in the past, don't know what it is now.

The price this week from two local bulk delivery firms for 900 Lt's is 31p a Lt. It went down from 32.5p last week. (my storage tank at home is 200 gallon so 1000 Lt's is pushing it) and they would only hold to that price on a two day delivery as the price is so volitile, nearly 3 years ago it was 18.2p.

My 900Lt's lasts about 2 to 3 years of every weekend 3 or 4 hours running and one 4 week cruising a year.

david

It does cost 40p at Kings Lock now but we don't buy there because since the new owners have taken over you can never get in because of boats moored in front that are being fitted out. As moorers when Mick owned it we could get 5p per L knocked off, but not now.

40p per litre seems to be the standard price currently on the Grand Union around Braunston. Even Ivor and Mel Batchelor who sell diesel off their boat Mountbatten are charging that and they used to be 2 - 3p cheaper than the local boatyards.

:P Here's a picture of Mountbatten and Jellicoe - a fine pair!

ivor_boat_heyford.jpg

40p per litre seems to be the standard price currently on the Grand Union around Braunston. Even Ivor and Mel Batchelor who sell diesel off their boat Mountbatten are charging that and they used to be 2 - 3p cheaper than the local boatyards.

:P Here's a picture of Mountbatten and Jellicoe - a fine pair!

ivor_boat_heyford.jpg

Even Ivor's prices have gone up again, I filled up from him on Saturday - 43p a litre.

• 2 weeks later...
It does cost 40p at Kings Lock now but we don't buy there because since the new owners have taken over you can never get in because of boats moored in front that are being fitted out. As moorers when Mick owned it we could get 5p per L knocked off, but not now.

Oweing to our boat building program yes there have been some slight restrictions these restrictions are now being brought to an end, with the investment of a new pump and hose of over 40ft in lengh. I have to question the discount however give the fact that I worked for mick for eigth months before taking over the shop on the 10th of july last year. We do now offer discounts on delivery in exess of 100ltr this was not the case prior to that date. Please give me a call any time.

Best Regards

Steve Wedgwood

The new owner!

Oweing to our boat building program yes there have been some slight restrictions these restrictions are now being brought to an end,  with the investment of a new pump and hose of over 40ft in lengh. I have to question the discount however give the fact that I worked for mick for eigth months before taking over the shop on the 10th of july last year. We do now offer discounts on delivery in exess of 100ltr this was not the case prior to that date. Please give me a call any time.

Best Regards

Steve Wedgwood

The new owner!

Even with a new pump and hose it is so near to the lock entrance things can be difficult to stop and fill up with diesel when several boats are moored along the front . We did used to get a discount when Mick ran the moorings above Kings Lock and this did continue following the hand over to BW. Since we have moored there for over 10 years I think I maybe know the deal we had. I am not saying that we should now have the same, just that, that is how it was.

Edited by Bernie

I do wholeheartedly agree with you Richard, we have had good help from Steve. I was just answering the querie re Red diesel prices though and why we don't get it from there at the moment.

• 5 months later...

Normally 5p cheaper than Whilton at most other places in that area.

Thanks Khaffra,

So 54p per litre is about the right price at the moment is it?

Prices are surely going to come down with the recent drop in crude prices to below $60 per barrel from the peak of about $72.

With the way that marinas are hiking up the prices at the moment, we won't notice the difference when derogation on red diesel is abolished. I have access to a commercial supply of white diesel at significantly less than pump prices, I have already got my Jerry cans in preparation.

Add the duty and VAT on to these prices and I bet it ends up above £1 a litre.

I accept that the canal side supplier cannot take the volumes from the supplier to match the average petrol station, so when the duty/VAT goes on the canal side prices what are we going to be paying?

I can see the odd 5 gallon container being filled up at the petrol station 'cos it will be cheaper.

I might just approach my friendly farmer. The injectors/tank will already be stained by the red dye and in five years time I can say that the fuel in the tank is "red" as I never leave the marina!

How many canal side suppliers are going to supply red deisel for those boats which are having two tanks fitted with one solely for the heater?

Add the duty and VAT on to these prices and I bet it ends up above £1 a litre.

I accept that the canal side supplier cannot take the volumes from the supplier to match the average petrol station, so when the duty/VAT goes on the canal side prices what are we going to be paying?

I can see the odd 5 gallon container being filled up at the petrol station 'cos it will be cheaper.

I might just approach my friendly farmer. The injectors/tank will already be stained by the red dye and in five years time I can say that the fuel in the tank is "red" as I never leave the marina!

How many canal side suppliers are going to supply red deisel for those boats which are having two tanks fitted with one solely for the heater?

The dye in red deisel does not stain anything it is a old wives tale

david

The dye in red deisel does not stain anything it is a old wives tale

david

Are you sure about that? A farmer friend of mine told me of another farmer who ocassionally put red diesel into his Land Rover which he then used on the public highway, and got caught by the Customs and excise Inspector who could detect a small amount of red diesel in the tank. Surely he wasn't caught out by a bluff.

Are you sure about that? A farmer friend of mine told me of another farmer who ocassionally put red diesel into his Land Rover which he then used on the public highway, and got caught by the Customs and excise Inspector who could detect a small amount of red diesel in the tank. Surely he wasn't caught out by a bluff.

Thats not staining the tank or other things that is mixing the 2 together. unless you drain the tank you will have some red left in it.

fuel companys use the same tankers for red and derv.

David