RYA Inland Waterways Helmsman Certificate

tillergirl

Featured Posts

Some will, some will not.

Many years ago I passed the IAM driving course (car) and found that some insurance companies would give a discount but by shopping around got my insurance cheaper with those that did not give the IAM discount.

My present car insurance has so many discounts, age of vehicle, my age, no claim discount etc. that if they gave all the discounts they would have to pay me :lol: , of course there is a small print get out. :wub:

:lol:

Good idea only no boat as yet therefore no insurance. Just wondered if it were worth doing the course - been boating for a few years now but no "formal" training.

Getting a reduction on insurance (which in the scheme of things isn't that expensive anyway) isn't the reason why you might want to do a course. We'd been boating for quite a while when we did one, and still learned things, including lots of little tricks that you just wouldn't know unless someone told you. Plus it was a lot of fun!

Many years ago I passed the IAM driving course (car) and found that some insurance companies would give a discount but by shopping around got my insurance cheaper with those that did not give the IAM discount.

I always found exactly the same.

When I quizzed companies more deeply, I often found they were offering 15% (say) discount for having passed an IAM test, but if you dug deeper, exactly the same was offered if you were a member of the AA or the RAC. (So no difference between practicing quite hard to raise your driving standard, or just buying something from a man with a stall in a motorway service area :lol: )

My guess is it would take many years of savings (if any) to recoup the cost of a helmsmans course.

As Adam says, that would surely not be a major factor in considering whether to do one or not.

(So no difference between practicing quite hard to raise your driving standard, or just buying something from a man with a stall in a motorway service area :lol: )

I would point out that I bought my RAC membership from a man with a stall outside Tescos, whilst navigating a large trolley, with 6 month old son in trolley and 5 year old son pulling on my arm.

This required a high degree of skill, concentration and patience so, I believe, I earned my insurance discount.

I would point out that I bought my RAC membership from a man with a stall outside Tescos, whilst navigating a large trolley, with 6 month old son in trolley and 5 year old son pulling on my arm.

This required a high degree of skill, concentration and patience so, I believe, I earned my insurance discount.

You are completely correct, as ever Carl - I back down unreservedly.

My biggest insurance shock was when I ceased my brief career as a bus driver, to return to fuull time university eduction, (which didn't last, but that's another story).

I couldn't quite take the doubling of my premium as my occupation switched from "bus driver" to "student". Clearly I had suddenly lost all my driving skills, and become doubly dangerous.

(The peculiarity being I had several accidents as a bus driver, which nobody was concerned about counting, but had an accident free record in cars and light vans).

:wub:

You are completely correct, as ever Carl - I back down unreservedly.

My biggest insurance shock was when I ceased my brief career as a bus driver, to return to fuull time university eduction, (which didn't last, but that's another story).

I couldn't quite take the doubling of my premium as my occupation switched from "bus driver" to "student". Clearly I had suddenly lost all my driving skills, and become doubly dangerous.

(The peculiarity being I had several accidents as a bus driver, which nobody was concerned about counting, but had an accident free record in cars and light vans).

:wub:

Hi Alan,

Any accidents I have in the bus are kept totally apart from my car / motorcycle insurance. Stands to reason really. If people are stupid enough to park in a bus stop I want then they deserve to get an old Leyland Olympian up their bum dont they?

I found the same - and then last year the IAM set up its own scheme which promised even greater discounts. When I phoned them for a quote, they were nearly 50% more expensive than I was currently paying.

Thanks for your input on this one I guess its something we will consider doing anyhow if only as a confidence building exercise. Even though we've had several boating holidays I've usually been windlass lady and only recently took to the tillerso I would think I would benefit from some expert tution. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Hello Tillergirl.

Its certainly worthwhile doing the course as you pick up lots of handy tips. I did mine recently and I heard that as well as some small discount on insurance, some of the hire companies offer a discount for holders as well - although not sure how true that is..??

TONY