Books books books

Stephen Sugg

Featured Posts

Journeys of the Swan - Can't remember the author John somebody

Windlass in my belt - John Thorpe

Great Days of the Canals - Anthony Burton (I think)

The ones mentioned above especially:

Colours of the Cut and

Waterways of Northamptonshire both are very good.

Journeys of the Swan was by John Lilley.

Windlass in my belt is very good.

I've not seen Great Days of the Canals so that's another on my list.

Also "Knill's Navy" by Sir John Knill is a fantastic read but it took me years to find it so, if you do ever see it, snap it up.

Journeys of the Swan was by John Lilley.

Windlass in my belt is very good.

Also "Knill's Navy" by Sir John Knill is a fantastic read but it took me years to find it so, if you do ever see it, snap it up.

Great Days of the Canals is a big "coffee table" type book, I think I got mine from the Science museum.

I've been looking for Knill's Navy. I think you have the only one in existance!!

I have got Lesley Mortons book however....

I've been looking for Knill's Navy. I think you have the only one in existance!!

Only 500 were printed and I know where 3 of them are.

I've had it listed on various booksearch services for years and have almost bought it for £65 and £150 but was too slow on both occasions.

I finally got it about a year ago, through Alibris.....for a tenner! (plus £2.75 postage) .

The only book I desperately want to own (again) is a copy of Ken Keay's "A boatbuilder's Sketchbook". A severely limited edition collection of artwork, compiled and published by Tony Lewery.

My copy was on Usk....The little gits probably used it as kindling.

there's one on ebay as we speak....

And seven available on AntiQbook:

http://www.antiqbook.com/books/speedsearch.php#3

The Great Days of the Canals - Anthony Burton

Note that five are the original David & Charles edition published in 1989 and the remaining two are the reprints in 1995 by Tiger Books International. My copy is the latter.

Stewey

• 2 weeks later...

Another huge recommendation for

"A Canal People - The Photographs of Robert Longden" Sonia Rolt

Sutton Publishing £12-99 ISBN 0 7509 1776 8

Without a doubt the best book of historic canal photos I have seen.

All shot in highly evocative black and white, and based heavily on Sutton stop, and surrounding areas, (but with some photos as far away as Braunston).

Fascinating to see many of the people you routinely see pictured at a much greater age, like the Brays and the Whitlocks - Arthur Bray's mother is superbly pictured, for example.

One slight dissapointment is obvious errors in some of the captioning, (Small Woolwich confused with Large Northwich, and even something described as a butty that looks for all the wold like a motor to me).

Some dates for the photos would also be great, but few canal books ever seem to manage this.

But these are minor annoyances, and certainly don't get in the way of enjoying Robert Longdean's fabulous photography.

Does anybody have any recommendations of anything else like this ? Certainly I've never seen anything similar.

Another huge recommendation for

"A Canal People - The Photographs of Robert Longden" Sonia Rolt

Sutton Publishing £12-99 ISBN 0 7509 1776 8

Without a doubt the best book of historic canal photos I have seen.

(snip)

Does anybody have any recommendations of anything else like this ? Certainly I've never seen anything similar.

Yes! 'Canal Recollections' (A pictorial record) by Julian Holland ISBN 1-85585-396-5 Parkgate books, 1998.

Black and white, superb quality, vast range. The sticker on the back of mine says £2.99. 96 pages, not quite A4 size. Boats, people, loading, maintenance, Foxton and Anderton lifts. A gem - as is 'A Canal People'.

Half way through 'Anderton For Orders' - thanks Neil.

Yes! 'Canal Recollections' (A pictorial record) by Julian Holland ISBN 1-85585-396-5 Parkgate books, 1998.

Seconded!

Also:

Waterways - Images from an industrial age by Nick Billingham

Victorian and Edwardian canals from old photographs by D.D. Gladwin

Grand Union Canal - From Brentford to Braunston by Ian J. Wilson

Edited by carlt

Another couple of pictorial canal books to add to the list already given:

A Canalside Camera 1845-1930 by Michael E. Ware

[David & Charles, 1975 - ISBN 0 7153 7001 4]

Extract from the blurb:

A Canalside Camera records the construction, operation and maintenance of the 'cuts', the craft working the canals and the cargoes they carried. The people involved are pictured too - the hard grind of their daily work, their family life, clothes and customs.

Waterways : Images from an Industrial Age by Nick Billingham

[Tempus Publishing Ltd, 1999 - ISBN 0 7524 1725 8]

Extract from the blurb:

The illustrations here are a selection of glimpses into a world and a way of life that vanished shortly after the First World War. Some people imagine it as a golden age with the slow plod of horses' hooves along a rustic towpath, but the reality was a busy and hardworking time with deadlines to meet. There was plenty of back-breaking work and little leisure time. The photographs themselves are a testament to the labour and labourers who created the foundations of our modern world.

Unfortunately the latter book suffers from the dreaded "Tempus" effect of poor reproduction of photographs. A Canalside Camera is far superior in this regard.

Stewey

Oh no - Carl beat me to the latter book while replying!

Edited by stewey

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd have found this post a lot quicker if you hadn't feminised Mr.Morton, Stephen.

Is the book "The long wake: From Tall Ships to Narrow Boats" and is it worth £6? My finger is poised on the "Buy me" clicky....

I'd have found this post a lot quicker if you hadn't feminised Mr.Morton, Stephen.

Is the book "The long wake: From Tall Ships to Narrow Boats" and is it worth £6? My finger is poised on the "Buy me" clicky....

IIRC from many years ago when I borrowed this book from the library there was very little indeed about narrow boats - this was to come in Part 2 which was never published. However I'd have thought for anyone interested in all kinds of boats generally it is easily worth £6 of anyone's (or rather your) money. Interesting article in Canal Boat last month (hard to believe I know) about Leslie Morton.

Paul H

Or The Lord of the Rings cartoon movie....

Bought it anyway, though.

Must build more bookshelves....

Sorry, i seem to have completely missed this latest instalment, yes, that's the one.

I've been mooching around various bookshops and online sites and I have failed to find anything that grabs me at the moment regarding boats, canals etc, so I've been buying and reading quite a lot about the murky world of proffessional cycling.......and what a world it is, pro's with blood as thick as strawberry jam, hooked on coke and speed....(these were the days before the really intense doping controls they have now of course) sorry for going hugely :lol:

Yes.

One of my favourites is 'A Caravan Afloat' by C J Aubertin. First published in 1916 it describes the canal era before WW1. In a £40 towed, paddled and poled with minimal superstructure and awning punt, the family explore the canals. Reprinted in 1982 by Shepperton Swan. Poetically written, a good read, some photos by the author.

'Victorian and Edwardian Canals (from old photographs)' by D.D. Gladwin published by Portman. All sorts of navigations, lots of 'grainey' shots but good. Nice shot looking up to Batchworth lock showing bridge and buildings long gone.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's one I thought I'd never see - 'The Flower of Gloster' by E. Temple Thurston. It was from this book Rolt quoted the phrase describing the movement of a horse drawn narrow boat: "It is no motion at all, or it is motion asleep". Not the easiest book to read, but perseverance will reward with a view of English countryside, its villages and occupants painted in vivid clarity. It shows an England far removed from that of today, yet bemoans the same changes that we bemoan today - albeit different ones.

Thurston was out to see the countryside, and when within sniffing distance of a black hearted Birmingham with dead cats and dogs replacing Springs gossamer threads, he abouts face and takes off along the Stratford. Certainly worth reading for the philosophy of 'Eynsham Harry' his hired boatman, and the trip along the Thames and Severn through Sapperton Tunnel.

Where from the book came and how much - I cannot say - present from the missus.

Edit: Should have mentioned - written in 1911, published 1918.

Edited by Derek R.

• 1 month later...

Somebody via the HNBOC mailing list was asking about Uttoxter. As this is mentioned in the book "Idle Women" I had a quick flick through last night. Due to the damage which was caused by the bomb, Uttoxter was replaced with Pavo, and it states in the book that even though it was 1944, Pavo is described to be "fresh off the dock" and I read it as though it was a brand new boat built a relatively short time ago but would have been getting on for 10 years old then?

"Fresh off the dock" as in recently slipped and put into good order, rather than it was a new boat.

The old footage linked to on here a few weeks back indicates the GUCCCo boats did no serve very long before being given fairly complete overhauls. Boats were being slipped in that footage that were no more than a few years old, (although the date of the footage was also clearly wrong!).

Alan.

Flicking through "Idle Women" again last night, I came across a rather interesting paragraph...

The ladies, who had stopped for whatever reason, wanted to get going again but no matter how much they swung the starting handle they couldn't start the engine, even passing boaters who also assisted failed to get it started too. Eventually somebody from Tring came to assist them but it said that the engine only started after using a forbidden trick...

I am intrigued - whats this forbidden trick, does anybody know?

Flicking through "Idle Women" again last night, I came across a rather interesting paragraph...

The ladies, who had stopped for whatever reason, wanted to get going again but no matter how much they swung the starting handle they couldn't start the engine, even passing boaters who also assisted failed to get it started too. Eventually somebody from Tring came to assist them but it said that the engine only started after using a forbidden trick...

I am intrigued - whats this forbidden trick, does anybody know?

Flaming rags in the air inlet, possibly ?