Suggestions for the Moderators

Tusses

Featured Posts

I think, one of the things about being new to a forum is that, before making suggestions, it might be better to get a feel of how the forum rubs along.

We have people of all types here, some great, some obnoxious but all with a shared interest.

There are some proper full on rows which are related to the forum's chief subject, but most of them are done so by people who can take the flak, as well as give it out.

There are, on occasion, rows about how the forum is run, which, on the whole, are irrelevant, because it ain't a democracy.

I am Jon's guest, on his webspace and I abide by his rules and, as he has delegated the responsibility, the say of the mods.

Whilst new to the modding game, all three mods have been around long enough to know how Jon likes his house run (not always to my taste, but it isn't my house).

I've posted over 5,000 times, without a warning, but taken part in some major debating/rowing sessions, so it can be done. This, despite knowing there are many members, and mods, who would strongly disagree with some, or all of my views.

If you want to make suggestions, feel free, but remember it's the best waterways forum for a reason, and a large part of that reason is how Jon, and the mods, balance it.

You may feel the forum is over modded. Go join the other forums and see the difference!

Well I am quite aware of how forums are run, currently being a mod on a car forum and have been for 4 months. However I have never felt the need to close a thread full stop, or ban an innofensive avatar, let alone close a thread due to someone critising my actions if I was to do so. I appreciate that a canal boating forum is a lot different to a car forum, but removing an avatar that is not offensive in any way, then closing a thread because some members comment on this is a bit OTT weather i have been a member on here for a week or a year. I appreciate that some mods are new, but I think it would be wise to consult before locking a thread. Thats my opinion, and I'm fully aware I don't have to be here if I don't want to. However I do like the forum, so I'll stick around until such powers decide that I'm barred for what ever reason they may seem fit, that will not stop me having an opinion of something that happens on a forum I'm a member of.

In my experience letting threads continue enables the participants to air their views and come to a calm and sensible resolution. A good mod can intervene with some humour or other tactic to calm situations down, simple easy solution. Unwarranted interference by moderators will get some members backs up and just causes problems. I have read the rules on the forum and I couldn't see that any rules were broken in that thread, so commented as did others.

Can we please try and keep things on track.

ok - sorry ...

any more suggestions ???

oh - Liam, as you are site crew, is it OK for me to make suggestions as a relative nooB ?

sorry to put you on the spot - so to speak :huh:

I have to agree with carlt's comments.

We are only here as guests of jon and so far in the short time ive been a member ive enjoyed the style in which it has been run. Most moderating appears to have been done via PM and the only time we every heard about it was if the culprit couldnt take the correction and had to post a thread looking for support....thats their right but its also the right of the owner and crew to close and manage threads as they see fit.

Guests my arse...thats like a owner of a football club saying fans must not chant negative things in MY ground. I own it, you'll like it or fack off. without the fans, a football team is nothing, and without the people on here this site is nothing.

I've been a member for 3 years, and was lurking before that from the very first month the site went live.

I have seen many people come, and even many more go.

I don't post a whole lot, but yesterday i had a link removed to a liverpool fan site. That site has over 8000 members, of all ages. Yet this site wont allow the link. because some "adults" might get offended. Jeez, how do they step out of the front door?

As has been posted, by deleting and closing threads you get peoples backs up. my back has well and truly been got up.

you live and learn....or maybe in some cases you just live.

In the end of the day, the prudes will be mildly offended, but they'll still keep posting.

Also, i remember 2 of these mods complaining themselves a few years back about threads being closed.....how times change

Edited by kawaton

But we ARE here purely as Jon's guests, and we all agreed to abide by the T&C's when we signed up.

NONE of us pay for this site, Jon does.

There's one simple rule to remember - if you don't like the way the forum works, feel free to go elsewhere.

I think you're taking this far too seriously

If you feel your human rights have been violated you can always take it up with the European Courts.

By signing up to the forum, you agree to abide by the rules. It is still possible to have fun, have rows and even offend people, without breaking those rules.

I toyed with the idea of applying for a mods role but I felt that I would have to compromise my opinions about how the rules were enforced.

I'm happy to abide by them (and take the rap if I break them) but I'm not sure I'd want to have to interpret them, every time I logged on.

But we ARE here purely as Jon's guests, and we all agreed to abide by the T&C's when we signed up.

NONE of us pay for this site, Jon does.

There's one simple rule to remember - if you don't like the way the forum works, feel free to go elsewhere.

And in turn if Jon doesnt want me here, he can revoke my membership, but as we all know, that will achieve nothing.

So you may see yourself as a guest....i don't.

i do feel free to go elsewhere thanks....but i choose not too. Doesnt mean i should keep me trap shut like a good little boy.

I think you're taking this far too seriously

If you feel your human rights have been violated you can always take it up with the European Courts.

By signing up to the forum, you agree to abide by the rules. It is still possible to have fun, have rows and even offend people, without breaking those rules.

I toyed with the idea of applying for a mods role but I felt that I would have to compromise my opinions about how the rules were enforced.

I'm happy to abide by them (and take the rap if I break them) but I'm not sure I'd want to have to interpret them, every time I logged on.

If you can point out where i have broken a rule by placing a link to a popular football forum, please let me know.

I am also aware of the different courses of action i can take, such as the european court, but just like the mods i am choosing a more extreme, annoying route

Edited by kawaton

Guests my arse...thats like a owner of a football club saying fans must not chant negative things in MY ground. I own it, you'll like it of fack off. without the fans, a football team is nothing, and without the people on here this site is nothing.

I've been a member for 3 years, and was lurking before that from the very first month the site went live.

I have seen many people come, and even many more go.

I don't post a whole lot, but yesterday i had a link removed to a liverpool fan site. That site has over 8000 members, of all ages. Yet this site wont allow the link. because some "adults" might get offended. Jeez, how do they step out of the front door?

As has been posted, by deleting and closing threads you get peoples backs up. my back has well and truly been got up.

you live and learn....or maybe in some cases you just live.

In the end of the day, the prudes will be mildly offended, but they'll still keep posting.

Also, i remember 2 of these mods complaining themselves a few years back about threads being closed.....how times change

And this from someone whose avatar has obviously been chosen to provoke, to push against a decision you diagree with, to go as far as you can without breaking the rules.

What should I say to my 6 year old daughter who says "why has that woman got her mouth open like that, daddy?".

There are heated discussions, arguments and insults here about boating issues. Great, love it.

We don't need childish adolescent boys school stuff like this.

And this from someone whose avatar has obviously been chosen to provoke, to push against a decision you diagree with, to go as far as you can without breaking the rules.

What should I say to my 6 year old daughter who says "why has that woman got her mouth open like that, daddy?".

There are heated discussions, arguments and insults here about boating issues. Great, love it.

We don't need childish adolescent boys school stuff like this.

Well i commend you on noticing...

tell your boy she is just shocked. Is that hard?

what would you tell him about this smiley?

:huh:

Is it waiting for someone to insert an object into its mouth? i think not.

If you struggle with issues like this when educating your kids, you must find parenting hard

Edited by kawaton

And in turn if Jon doesnt want me here, he can revoke my membership, but as we all know, that will achieve nothing.

So you may see yourself as a guest....i don't.

i do feel free to go elsewhere thanks....but i choose not too. Doesnt mean i should keep me trap shut like a good little boy.

Eh? You're perception is, I'm afraid, neither here'n'there - you, all of us, are guests here.

WE do not pay for usage of this site, Jon does. That makes it HIS forum, with HIS way of running things. This is NOT a democracy.

If you can point out where i have broken a rule by placing a link to a popular football forum, please let me know

From Forum Rules And Guidelines

"Links to commercial and personal websites are welcome to be placed in the Links Directory, under the relevant section. A link to 1 personal website is allowed in your signature. The site crew reserve the right to remove any link deemed unsuiable."

(my bold highlight)

Eh? You're perception is, I'm afraid, neither here'n'there - you, all of us, are guests here.

WE do not pay for usage of this site, Jon does. That makes it HIS forum, with HIS way of running things. This is NOT a democracy.

From Forum Rules And Guidelines

"Links to commercial and personal websites are welcome to be placed in the Links Directory, under the relevant section. A link to 1 personal website is allowed in your signature. The site crew reserve the right to remove any link deemed unsuiable."

(my bold highlight)

and what was unsuitable about it?

and why is it still allowed in another post i made? consistency my friend

Edited by kawaton

and what was unsuitable about it?

and why is it still allowed in another post i made? consistency my friend

Well without knowing the original post and context, I honestly couldn't comment or opinion. You asked for "the rule" and, well, there it is.

You may well have a valid point, however, I suggest that you discuss it via PM with the Mod in question - there may well have been missunderstandings on both sides.