Suggestions for the Moderators

Tusses

Featured Posts

I have been a mod on several forums now.

I have noticed that there is a 'them and us' feeling sometimes (but not all)

them and us , usually comes from mods not discussing things with the other members.

one mod doing one action - followed by another mod doing another is seen as 'them' closing ranks in order to deal with a situation that they are unfamiliar with and usually uncomfortable with too.

dont get me wrong - I KNOW its a tough job !

One forum I moderated for had the mods anonymous for fear of reprisals ! and if they ware found out, there were :banghead: - it was a car club, and at some national events, scratches mysteriously appeared on moderators show cars etc :huh:

Other forums I modded on were more of a relaxed group of peeps.

I have found that regional forums - where everybody is very likely to meet everybody else at one meet / show / (banter! ) etc - are more friendly, and the moderating is usually just left to moving threads or correcting mistake.

other - national - forums can get more aggressive. groups of a certain 'clique' tend to club together and can lead to warnings / deleted posts / suspensions or bannings.

those in between have a mixture of problems where a good moderating team can sort things out smoothly or poor (inexperienced) moderating can escalate bad feelings.

I was offered the opportunity to put my name forward, but I declined, stating that is helps if the mod team are established users and know the other members. This is true - but only works if they react accordingly and with tact and foresight. thinking through any possible ramifications of their modding actions.

there will be disagreements - hot topics - semi flame wars - and all out slandery. the tricky bit is knowing when to step in and how to step in - the fire might die down , or you may add fuel to the fire ! Like I said - I KNOW it's tough :lol:

I thought this forum was pretty cool in general since I joined.

I even commented on the 'swearing' thread - "now is the time we find out if there are any forum mods" ! but - before the mods came - the situation cooled down, apologies were made, offending words were edited - in effect the thread ' self moderated' itself this is the best way, with maybe a post on the thread - and a PM to the offenders to the effect of ' lets keep it this way, and try not to let it happen again ... or similar

if things like avatars are not covered in the forum rules (and I admit , I havent read them word for word) maybe they should be, then it is a simple matter of politely reminding the odd member of the rules they have agreed to abid by when they registered for the forum.

anyway - I'm off for a cuppa - I'll read though what I have just typed when I come back, and add to it if needs be.

peace all :D

Rich

I asked if there was an invisible forum setup just for mods ? it wasn't answered. But there should be !

Any potential problems or suspect new members should be be flagged up in the 'secret' mod forum so they can be discusses and kept an eye on, and a rational plan of action agreed upon.

I had written this in reply in the thread, but it was closed before I could post.

I have to say that's hardly offensive, I see more cleavage than that, daily walking through town, a rural town at that :huh: if anyone can be offended by that, then they certainly dont watch tv, or have had much of a life :D Political correctness going insane :banghead:

This really is moderating gone mad, and pathetic closing threads and stifling debate. I'm new to the forum and find it useful and informative and having had a lot of experience in fitting a boat out I am more willing to offer tips and advice.

Closing a thread because it critiseses a moderators actions is rediculous, even our politicians have to take some stick for their decisions. Treating members like children and removing avatars that clearly are not offensive is like the traffic warden who thinks he has the powers of MI5

Moderate when necessary, not when bored.

I had written this in reply in the thread, but it was closed before I could post.

This really is moderating gone mad, and pathetic closing threads and stifling debate. I'm new to the forum and find it useful and informative and having had a lot of experience in fitting a boat out I am more willing to offer tips and advice.

Closing a thread because it critiseses a moderators actions is rediculous, even our politicians have to take some stick for their decisions. Treating members like children and removing avatars that clearly are not offensive is like the traffic warden who thinks he has the powers of MI5

:huh:

blasphemy

Give us a chance, it's been one day! I still haven't had a fiddle with all the new buttons which have appeared!

I agree, most of us have seen it all before, whether on other bb or as mods.

Please, don't hesitate to send us a pm if you want something clarifying or you aren't happy about something, we can then discuss it.

I'd love it if we could sort any grievances out instantly, but we all have busy lives.....we're not all here at the same time, but we try our best.

As for the cleavage gif, more than one user complained, so we had to look at it. There are plenty of boobs on t'internet if you are missing them.

Edited by Lady Muck

Tusses (Rich) and Julynian.

If this offends, hard luck, drop it, the new mods have only been in the 'job' a few days and from what I have seen so far, they have made all the right decisions.

Neither of you have been here a month and all that I can remember of your posts is complaining how the forum is run, if you don't like leave.

OOOOO!!!!! my first rant in three years.

it is a bit like the traffic warden - MI5 thing, BUT ...

that is what I am trying to get accross.

the mods have been given this 'responsibility' and dont (necessarily') have the experience to deal with it.

They see a situation - think - oh sh!t - what do I do ???? I cant just do nothing - Ive just been made a mod ! another sees it and 'gives support' ... and there you have it - onces friends - now - 'them and us' !

Its hard work !

it is a bit like the traffic warden - MI5 thing, BUT ...

that is what I am trying to get accross.

the mods have been given this 'responsibility' and dont (necessarily') have the experience to deal with it.

They see a situation - think - oh sh!t - what do I do ???? I cant just do nothing - Ive just been made a mod ! another sees it and 'gives support' ... and there you have it - onces friends - now - 'them and us' !

Its hard work !

but you are too new to have an opinion. (even if it is spot on)

Lady Muck - I dont blame you - in the slightest.

Bottle - are you getting 'cliquey' ? keeping out the nooB's ?

:huh:

note the ' :D ' !

and chill !

forums stagnate and become worthless without new comers .... times / people change, new CAN mix with old and all settles down :banghead:

Edited by Tusses

Tusses (Rich) and Julynian.

If this offends, hard luck, drop it, the new mods have only been in the 'job' a few days and from what I have seen so far, they have made all the right decisions.

Neither of you have been here a month and all that I can remember of your posts is complaining how the forum is run, if you don't like leave.

OOOOO!!!!! my first rant in three years.

I'm not on this forum to be told what to do by the likes of you or anyone else, regardless of weather being on here for a week or years. I have an opinion and am expressing it. It's called freedom of speech. I'm sure the mods are capable of handling a bit of critizism. Or maybe not and i'll be banned LOL

Anyway rant on if it makes you feel better :huh:

I think, one of the things about being new to a forum is that, before making suggestions, it might be better to get a feel of how the forum rubs along.

We have people of all types here, some great, some obnoxious but all with a shared interest.

There are some proper full on rows which are related to the forum's chief subject, but most of them are done so by people who can take the flak, as well as give it out.

There are, on occasion, rows about how the forum is run, which, on the whole, are irrelevant, because it ain't a democracy.

I am Jon's guest, on his webspace and I abide by his rules and, as he has delegated the responsibility, the say of the mods.

Whilst new to the modding game, all three mods have been around long enough to know how Jon likes his house run (not always to my taste, but it isn't my house).

I've posted over 5,000 times, without a warning, but taken part in some major debating/rowing sessions, so it can be done. This, despite knowing there are many members, and mods, who would strongly disagree with some, or all of my views.

If you want to make suggestions, feel free, but remember it's the best waterways forum for a reason, and a large part of that reason is how Jon, and the mods, balance it.

You may feel the forum is over modded. Go join the other forums and see the difference!

Edited by carlt

I think, one of the things about being new to a forum is that, before making suggestions, it might be better to get a feel of how the forum rubs along.

<SNIP>

You may feel the forum is over modded. Go join the other forums and see the difference!

so - do you mean I should shut up and not make any suggestions - or go elsewhere ?

so - do you mean I should shut up and not make any suggestions - or go elsewhere ?

It means, if you have been reading the forum for 2 years it doesnt count.

That fact you have only recently started posting still makes you a noob.

I frequent a liverpool forum, and its the same there. If you are not a season ticket holder, you are not a "proper supporter", and your opinion is over-ruled.

I think you need to have posted over 100 times in the friday thread for your opinion to count here

Edited by kawaton

Edit :-

I have just re-read my original post in this thread.

I intended it to be helpfull - not a rant.

re-reading it, I cant see that it is anything other than how I intended it ?

this IS the suggestions section isnt it ?????

please tell me if I have got it wrong (like I feel I need to ask :huh: )

Rich

Rich

This isn't going to count, but I don't think you've got it wrong.

Rich

i read it as a suggestion. i thought it was an honest, truthful post, with the intention of being helpful.

Edited to add...sympathetic too!!

Edited by kawaton

It means, if you have been reading the forum for 2 years it doesnt count.

That fact you have only recently started posting still makes you a noob.

I frequent a liverpool forum, and its the same there. If you are not a season ticket holder, you are not a "proper supporter", and your opinion is over-ruled.

I think you need to have posted over 100 times in the friday thread for your opinion to count here

you seem to 'get' what I am on about !

there are 4,304 as of just about now.

there are maybe a handfull of posters since I joined.

so ... for those handfull .... THINK about it !