Knot........

stort_mark

Featured Posts

OK...this has been bugging me for ages.

After really messing up a lock on the Calder & Hebble a few years ago, a nearby boater showed me a brilliant knot to use with the mooring rope to keep the boat secure against the side of the lock. It was really easy and quick to tie (blindingly obvious!) but could be released in an instant. For the rest of that holiday, we used it....conscious that probably everyone else on the Cut had known about it since birth....but now I am embarrassed enough to say that in the meantime I have completely forgotten how to tie it. Any chance anyone knows (from this rather poor description) what the knot is and can explain how it is tied?

After really messing up a lock on the Calder & Hebble a few years ago, a nearby boater showed me a brilliant knot to use with the mooring rope to keep the boat secure against the side of the lock. It was really easy and quick to tie (blindingly obvious!) but could be released in an instant. For the rest of that holiday, we used it....conscious that probably everyone else on the Cut had known about it since birth....but now I am embarrassed enough to say that in the meantime I have completely forgotten how to tie it. Any chance anyone knows (from this rather poor description) what the knot is and can explain how it is tied?

Hi There

Do you mean a Clove Hitch - this what I tend to use.

See ---- http://www.igkt.net/beginners/sea-cadet-knots.php

Alex

What do you use Chris, I am always happy to learn from a solo CC'er :rolleyes:

Alex

Actually, that would have been a better (and less embarrassing) way to get the same information!! :rolleyes: What knot do **you** use to hold your boat against the lock-side?

I don't think it is, but thanks for the link!

Is it two loops?

Loose end in right hand, none loose end in other, form a loop with the loose end underneath the none, put it over a bollard tighten. Then take a bit of the rope from the right hand in the left hand, and do it again?

I tend to avoid putting knots in my ropes.

What do you use Chris, I am always happy to learn from a solo CC'er :rolleyes:

Alex

Much the same as Bones described above. Easier to show than to describe, and can't find it on the site I mentioned (ah-hem!) as my wet-string-internet connection is bloody awful this evening. I'll try and find it tomorrow when I'm in a better area.

Edited by Chris J W

Is it two loops?

Loose end in right hand, none loose end in other, form a loop with the loose end underneath the none, put it over a bollard tighten. Then take a bit of the rope from the right hand in the left hand, and do it again?

I think Bone is trying to describe a 'bargee's hitch' (?).

It's not so much a knot, but a series of loops that go under the rope to the boat and the loop back over the post from alternate sides of the rope.

Not easy to explain, but very easy to do.

The more strain that is put on the rope beteen the post and the boat, the tighter the 'knot' gets.

Tug men use it all the time for towing as its easy to do with thick ropes and never jams.

I think Bone is trying to describe a 'bargee's hitch' (?).

It's not so much a knot, but a series of loops that go under the rope to the boat and the loop back over the post from alternate sides of the rope.

Not easy to explain, but very easy to do.

The more strain that is put on the rope beteen the post and the boat, the tighter the 'knot' gets.

Tug men use it all the time for towing as its easy to do with thick ropes and never jams.

Yes. That's it!!! I wish I could see a photo of it...but that's definitely it, with the rope being somehow looped either side!

I feel such an idiot for forgetting how to do it!

I use a clove hitch but made such that the "end" is a loop rather than a straight end. It can be released by a single tug on the loop's end but not by the boat's pulling. You see it often in "Western" films where the cowboy ties up his horse but can make a quick getaway by pulling on the loose end.

Chris

I use a clove hitch but made such that the "end" is a loop rather than a straight end. It can be released by a single tug on the loop's end but not by the boat's pulling. You see it often in "Western" films where the cowboy ties up his horse but can make a quick getaway by pulling on the loose end.

Chris

are you describing the highwaymans hitch?

http://www.iland.net/~jbritton/highwaymanshitch.htm

Edited by grahoom

I think the OP is talking about the 'lightermans' or 'tugmans' hitch. I believe cwf member 'NB Willawaw' has a youtube video clearly showing how to construct this hitch (its not a 'knot'). I don't have a link and i haven't seen the video.

Is it two loops?

This sounds like my method but there are times when it has locked because of the weight on it and can be a pig to loosen.

I like Chrisw idea of leaving a loop to pull through in emergencies.

I'll try and master the slipped contrictor hitch.

Alex

The knot I use was shown to me some years ago by a retired boatman from the Blue Line fleet. He called it a "boatman's hitch" which I suspect is the same animal as the "bargee's hitch". It is a very useful quick knot that cannot jam. Using a bollard as an example take two clockwise turns round it, then bring a loop from the free end under the part that runs from bollard to boat and drop the loop over the bollard. Pull tight, and possibly a further turn anticlockwise round the bollard for extra security. This knot does not seem to exist in any RYA manual, and I have never found it on line. It works just as well on the forward T stud or a stern dolly.

A clove hitch is not a mooring knot (and the RYA make a point of this if you ever do a Day Skipper course or similar) although many people use it thus. If it is under strain it jams - so if you have tied your boat up with a clove hitch and the water levels drop (I once woke up to find the whole pound had drained overnight) you will have a great deal of difficulty freeing your boat. Potentially disastrous if you are in a lock and it empties.

Dominic

What's wrong with a round turn and two half hitches? <grumbles>

The "lighterman's" hitch is a bu&&er to undo if tied with thinnish rope on a large boat. I use 14-16mm rope for temporary mooring. A 'helper' caught a bow rope for me and tied up to a bollard using this hitch. By the time 3 trip boats had bounced me round, it took a knife to get the rope off the bollard.

What's wrong with a round turn and two half hitches? <grumbles>

The "lighterman's" hitch is a bu&&er to undo if tied with thinnish rope on a large boat. I use 14-16mm rope for temporary mooring. A 'helper' caught a bow rope for me and tied up to a bollard using this hitch. By the time 3 trip boats had bounced me round, it took a knife to get the rope off the bollard.

Nothing wrong with the round turn etc at all. It is just slower to do. I'm mystified as to how the hitch jammed on you. It can't have been tied the same way. The moment you release the anticlockwise turn the loop over the bollard (or whatever) is free.

The knot I use was shown to me some years ago by a retired boatman from the Blue Line fleet. He called it a "boatman's hitch" which I suspect is the same animal as the "bargee's hitch". It is a very useful quick knot that cannot jam. Using a bollard as an example take two clockwise turns round it, then bring a loop from the free end under the part that runs from bollard to boat and drop the loop over the bollard. Pull tight, and possibly a further turn anticlockwise round the bollard for extra security. This knot does not seem to exist in any RYA manual, and I have never found it on line. It works just as well on the forward T stud or a stern dolly.

This sounds like one shown to me by an ex-navy man and is the only one I can get my head around. It's simple, quick, effective and easy to untie. Does it have an official name? As you say, it doesn't seem to appear in any manuals.

I also use a round turn & 2 half hitches. Up to now these two have been the only ones I've needed.