Portland Basin

Modge

Featured Posts

This has probably been asked many times before, but anyway :D

We are planning to cruise the Cheshire Ring from Andersen Boats, Middlewich in April. The plan is to go anti-clockwise, with an overnight stop at Portland Basin. Are there any decent pubs/cafes nearby for an evening meal? The other night stops are just about sorted, but I can't find anything for here.

Thanks.

This has probably been asked many times before, but anyway :D

We are planning to cruise the Cheshire Ring from Andersen Boats, Middlewich in April. The plan is to go anti-clockwise, with an overnight stop at Portland Basin. Are there any decent pubs/cafes nearby for an evening meal? The other night stops are just about sorted, but I can't find anything for here.

Thanks.

In no time at all the mancs will be along to point you in the direction of the finest black pudding and pig's trotter sandwich shop west of the pennines.

Modge,

You will be in the middle of the finest city in the country there are more pubs and cafes than you can shake a black pudding at. If you just want a drink the best area in my opinion is the Northern Quarter with several real ale pubs, Smithfield Hotel, Marble Arch, Bar Fringe to name a few, only a 10 min stagger from the basin. As for food there is a vast choice from the usual pub chains, Spoons etc, through to China town and all its restraunts several of which of which do an all you can eat for about 6 quid in 1 1/2 hours at various times of the day, mind you only get one chopstick (old joke time) plus some very up market places which i have only been told about.

And dont forget if you are adrift you will be adrift in the finest city in the country, nay the world. Have a good time.

Memo for Carlt, Black Pudding is from Bury, Trotters fom Bolton you southern softie.

Sorry all. Read Portland basin with my eyes and saw Castlefield with my mind. Thats the last time i join in at that time of night after 4 bottles of night nurse.

Edited by kerching

Modge,You will be in the middle of the finest city in the country there are more pubs and cafes than you can shake a black pudding at. If you just want a drink the best area in my opinion is the Northern Quarter with several real ale pubs, Smithfield Hotel, Marble Arch, Bar Fringe to name a few, only a 10 min stagger from the basin. As for food there is a vast choice from the usual pub chains, Spoons etc, through to China town and all its restraunts several of which of which do an all you can eat for about 6 quid in 1 1/2 hours at various times of the day, mind you only get one chopstick (old joke time) plus some very up market places which i have only been told about. And dont forget if you are adrift you will be adrift in the finest city in the country, nay the world. Have a good time.Memo for Carlt, Black Pudding is from Bury, Trotters fom Bolton you southern softie.

Not just Carlt getting confused, methinks! Portland Basin is in Ashton, not Manchester!

There is a small restaurant adjoining Portland Basin museum (separate entrance on west side of building). Their web site doesn't give the opening times but you could phone them on 0161 344 2591 or 07812 043492. A bit pricy but good stuff.

It's quite a long walk to Wetherspoons in Ashton, (Wellington Road, OL6 6DA) which is the only pub I have eaten at in the town.However there is a pretty decent Chinese restaurant 10 minutes walk away: "New China", 216 Stamford Street, OL6 7LP, 0161-343 8075. There are lots of other restaurants in Ashton, including Indian.

If you arrive early enough, you could always try the café at Asda, 5 minutes walk further along the Ashton Canal from Portland Basin (no mooring though).

Most people don't get cast adrift during the night, thank goodness. But if you are worried, you could moor against the wall on the side opposite the towpath (as in the photo below), with the ropes round the fence and railings, and then tying them back to the boat again, which makes it harder for casual untyers. Also the path on the other side is not a through route to anywhere, so less chance of people going past. You will need to step onto the roof to get on or off, though.

ash313bl.jpg

A good place to moor (but further from the pubs/restaurants) is on the Peak Forest Canal. If you turn right at the junction at Portland Basin, cross the aqueduct and go under the railway bridge, there are good moorings with rings for 500 yards.

Always tie the ropes back onto the boat when you moor. Scrotes can't untie them without climbing onto the boat and so attracting attention!

[edited to add afterthought:]

Oh, perhaps I should mention that the boat in the photo is Granny Buttons, and Andrew left it there unattended for about a week and it hadn't been interfered with during that time, so not a bad choice of mooring!

Edited by MartinClark

A good place to moor (but further from the pubs/restaurants) is on the Peak Forest Canal. If you turn right at the junction at Portland Basin, cross the aqueduct and go under the railway bridge, there are good moorings with rings for 500 yards.Tie the ropes back onto the boat when you moor. Scrotes can't untie them without climbing onto the boat and so attracting attention!

Or if you think you need a bit of security, you can moor in the little marina just under the bridge at the junction.

Or if you think you need a bit of security, you can moor in the little marina just under the bridge at the junction.

Cygnet spent several days at Portland Basin Marina last September, with and without me. Guy, the owner, and his wife are very friendly and helpful. The exterior moorings there are fairly secure, with an adjacent liveaboard, but you'll have to pay of course. A couple of hundred yards up the Peak forest is usually ok.

The museum opposite is interesting and free. There is a dearth of decent pubs within walking distance. Ashton Market is well-known, but a bit of a trek from Portland Basin.

Mac

Thanks for all of the replies, they have been very useful.

It looks like Portland Basin Marina is the favoured option at the moment.

Unfortunately Stalybridge is a bit too far off the route with our schedule (and mutinous crew :D ).

If anyone is around the area on the 15th April look out for us :rolleyes:

Thanks for all of the replies, they have been very useful.

It looks like Portland Basin Marina is the favoured option at the moment.

Unfortunately Stalybridge is a bit too far off the route with our schedule (and mutinous crew :D ).

If anyone is around the area on the 15th April look out for us :rolleyes:

Nothing is too far off route for an excuse to visit Stalybridge Station Buffet ! As you're not going on past Stalybridge, I'd recommend overnighting at Staly Wharf just before lock 4W. The visitor moorings proper are after lock 4W. It's a little bit out of the town centre, but it saves you ascending the last three locks. It's only about 1.5 miles and 3 locks - should only take about 1 - 1.5 hours from Portland Basin, though the Huddersfield Narrow can sometimes be a bit slow going.

I can't speak about the food/pubs etc, as we prefer to fend for ourselves, but we've safely moored up overnight on a few occasions on the Peak Forest Canal just a couple of hundred yards from Portland Basin, and have had no trouble at all.

Janet

Chris on the wooden boats is very friendly and has some local information packs and a spare key for the gate. if you urn left and walk around the musem heading away from Asda you'll find a half decent pub and if you carry on to the main road there's a good chinese and curry house about 10 minutes away.

Say hello to Southam for me, as she was the progenitor of the big hole...

edited for correct directions

Edited by Smelly

:rolleyes:

I would go as far as abandoning the boat at Portland Basin and getting a taxi. It and the tool shop opposite are not to be missed..... :D

ah the tool shop , sorry we have no call for files they replied when i asked for one.try asda.

The tool shop...

One of the last examples of a proper oldy worldy shops, well that and White's on Summer lane in Brum.

It's worth a visit just to take in the smell. There's probably boxes that havent been opened for years!