Hot Water Help...

warlock

Featured Posts

Hi All,

I've just had a calorifier with an immersion heater in fitted so I don't have to annoy my neighbours by firing up the engine to get hot water. Lovely as it is I find that when I have a shower I've got to be really quick because obviously, as it empties it's getting filled back up with cold water so it gets cold pretty quickly.

Any advice on how I can slow this process down so I can have a decent shower?

Thanks in advance, Warlock.

Edited by warlock

Hi All,

I've just had a calorifier with an immersion heater in fitted so I don't have to annoy my neighbours by firing up the engine to get hot water. Lovely as it is I find that when I have a shower I've got to be really quick because obviously, as it empties it's getting filled back up with cold water so it gets cold pretty quickly.

Any advice on how I can slow this process down so I can have a decent shower?

Thanks in advance, Warlock.

bigger calorifier? I don't have that problem at all - I can get a few hot showers out of my system.....

Hi Warlock

What size is your calorifier? How many Kw is the immersion heater rated at? Do you allow enough time for the immersion heater to heat the water to 60-65 degrees C? Is the immersion thermostat set correctly?

My relatively small horizontal calorifier (approx 20 litres) provides enough hot water for several showers.

I may be being a bit silly, but you haven't got the water intake and outlet the wrong way round, have you? The intake should be low down on the calorifier and the outlet as high up as possible (so that the heated water will rise up to it and stay there until you use it, and won't be mixed with cold water coming in).

Mac

I may be being a bit silly, but you haven't got the water intake and outlet the wrong way round, have you? The intake should be low down on the calorifier and the outlet as high up as possible (so that the heated water will rise up to it and stay there until you use it, and won't be mixed with cold water coming in).

Mac

That sounds like it to me. The hot water in my calorifier stays hot until it is cold :) That is until it's all gone. Obviously there's some mixing of hot & cold water, but since the hot is drawn from the top & the cold enters at the bottom, any mixing is minimal (my calorifier is vertical which I would imagine is the most efficient position for reducing hot/cold water mixing). If your calorifier is positioned so that the cold intake is on top, the heated contents won't stay hot for very long.

That sounds like it to me. The hot water in my calorifier stays hot until it is cold :) That is until it's all gone. Obviously there's some mixing of hot & cold water, but since the hot is drawn from the top & the cold enters at the bottom, any mixing is minimal (my calorifier is vertical which I would imagine is the most efficient position for reducing hot/cold water mixing). If your calorifier is positioned so that the cold intake is on top, the heated contents won't stay hot for very long.

While we're on the subject of calorifiers - every now and then I have to press the re-set button (under the plastic cap on the top) to get hot water. Do you think the water gets too hot and cut's out? If so can anyone explain (in simple terms!!) how I can avoid this?

Cheers

Sarah

While we're on the subject of calorifiers - every now and then I have to press the re-set button (under the plastic cap on the top) to get hot water. Do you think the water gets too hot and cut's out? If so can anyone explain (in simple terms!!) how I can avoid this?

Cheers

Sarah

Hi there

An immersion heater only heats up the water to the end of the element (or stat). If your immersion heater is only 12" long you will only have the top 12" of hot water. 36" immersion heaters are available - if it will fit into your calorifier.

The heater is controled by a thermostat (a bar inserted by the side of the element) You see will the live wire going to the stat before going to element. This can sometimes be only 9" long so you will only have the top 9" of hot water.

You can adjust this stat by a screwdriver slot in the top of the stat (often marked in degrees) set to maximum(80degrees?)

Then when you use your shower mixer, if the water is very hot you will use less hot when mixed with the cold.

Immersion heaters can also have a safety cut out to save the element if the stat fails. This could be Sarahs problem, disconect it Sarah and take your chances with the stat. If the stat fails it will boil the water and only vent out the overpressure valve. then buy a new stat.

Alex

Alex

What Alex (steelaway) says is correct if the immersion heater is fitted to the top of the tank, if it is fitted in the side then any water above it and the thermostat will be heated.

Edit: double posted

Edited by bottle

Cheers

Sarah

Is the water far too hot when you run the hot tap? Are you on shore power & heating the water with an immersion heater? If so, it could be that the thermostat on the immersion is set too high.

Turn off the immersion heater and remove the shore power cable from the bollard. If your immersion heater is anything like mine, you can remove a small nut on the round plastic cover of the immersion heater and take the cover off. (You'll probably need a torch - a head torch is ideal). You should be able to see the a small temp setting adjuster for your thermostat which you can adjust down - you might need a plain screwdriver. Be careful not to disturb any wires or connections inside. Put the cover back on afterwards.

Edited by blackrose

Mac

That does make perfect sense Mac, I'll have a word with my mate who fitted it to see if he's done that by mistake. I get less than 5 mins in there before it's too cold to use. It's a 30 litre Surecal that's horizontally mounted. The immersion is 1kw..not sure of how long but as it's horizontal too I should get a reasonable shower because I should be able to half empty the tank. Thanks for all your advice peeps.

Cheers :) Warlock

That does make perfect sense Mac, I'll have a word with my mate who fitted it to see if he's done that by mistake. I get less than 5 mins in there before it's too cold to use. It's a 30 litre Surecal that's horizontally mounted. The immersion is 1kw..not sure of how long but as it's horizontal too I should get a reasonable shower because I should be able to half empty the tank. Thanks for all your advice peeps.

Cheers :lol: Warlock

Lets make some big assumptions, you can use half the tank of hot water 15 ltr this needs to be mixed with cold 50/50 so you have 30 ltr of usable water.

Assume your pump has a flow rate of 5 ltr per minute that would give a shower of 6 minutes.

I wait for incoming. :)

Lets make some big assumptions, you can use half the tank of hot water 15 ltr this needs to be mixed with cold 50/50 so you have 30 ltr of usable water.Assume your pump has a flow rate of 5 ltr per minute that would give a shower of 6 minutes.I wait for incoming. :)
They are BIG assumtions Bottle. I'm not sure what my mix is, at the valve near the calorifier it's probably 65-70% hot and 30-35% cold. It could do with being swung more towards the cold though. But there's nowhere near 30l in the hip bath when I'm finished..I'd say 10 max. And 5 mins is a generous estimate. I bet I'm in 3-4 before I start thinking..'erm, time to get out!'This morning I jumped in and got myself wet. Stopped the shower, applied my shower gel and shampoo and then turned the shower back on. I had just enough hot water left to rinse off and then it was too cold so I got out. I can just about get a sink of water to wash the pots soley out of the hot tap so I estimate I bet I'm only getting 6-7 litres of usable how water. This is why I think Mac may be right. The whole tank get's how but when the cold goes in, it falls to the bottom and I get it in the shower.
1kw heater is going to take quite a while to heat a tank though.
I'm still experimenting Stu but I've always given it a couple of hours up to now. I think Gary Peacock told me it should take about an hour.

Another thought, what is the thermostat set to?

Well, having thought about your sage words yesterday Bottle I did an experiment. The mixer tap thingy on the calorifier was set more towards the hot end of the scale so this morning I crawled under the bed and did a 50/50 hot/cold split like you said. I nearly got the golden 6 minutes that I've been dreaming of. I couldn't leave the immersion on as long as I'd have like because I'd over slept and had to get to work. BUT like I say, I nearly got there. I'll give the tap another half turn tomorrow and leave the immersion for a bit longer and see how I get on.

Cheers Bottle, you may have helped an eejit have a shower! :)

Hi

I am intrigued by this 'mixer tap thingy' is a temperature control valve.

Mixer tap / Temperature control valve, which should be plumbed in correctly. Depending on the type, you could end up being scalded if not. The cold feed is normally fitted so when you open the valve, cold water starts to flow, you then feed in the hot water by adjusting the temperature leaver/knob or whatever to your required temperature.

If you plumb the valve in reverse when you open the valve hot water will flow first and could or I should say has caused problems. So please check that you have it connected correctly.

Just to ad clarity, I should of quoted the whole phrase, "The mixer tap thingy on the calorifier"I understand a temperature controlled mixer shower.
Yep, I think that's the correct technical term for it..but mixer tap thingy says it all too! :lol:
Golden showers..................... you pervert :huh:
:lol::stop::);):(:blink::stop::lol:

Just to ad clarity, I should of quoted the whole phrase, "The mixer tap thingy on the calorifier"

I understand a temperature controlled mixer shower.

Opps :huh:

I know you know the difference, just wanted to point out the danger of plumbing it in the wrong way.

Opps ;)

I know you know the difference, just wanted to point out the danger of plumbing it in the wrong way.

I knew, that you knew, that I knew, the difference but wondered if the others knew. :huh:

By the way Warlock have you managed that elusive six minute shower yet

I'm not sure of the time but thanks to your advice I've been getting long enough. No more turning it off to soap myself up. It's still not spitting out the 30l (half hot/half cold) figure though. And no where near enough for 2 showers but I'm happy and clean! :huh: