sunken boats

Driver

Featured Posts

A friends boat which was for up sale appears to have been sunk deliberately. Someone got in contact with my friend directly after it had sunk to offer a most ridicules amount of money for it based on the fact that it was now sunk and as such scrap!!!

I wondered if any body else has any information of similar incidents around the canal system?

Soul Muzik (SP?) was sunk whilst on brokerage in a very suspicious manner.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=10802

Anything like your friends situation?

Its similar but the owner hadnt rubbed anyone up the wrong way , the water board said that they had cruised past the day before and there was no sign of it sinking!

It is a bit worrying that this may have been a deliberate attempt to get this boat at a rock bottom price.

If it is proven to be the case then the police will definately be informed and I will keep you all updated .

Its similar but the owner hadnt rubbed anyone up the wrong way , the water board said that they had cruised past the day before and there was no sign of it sinking!

It is a bit worrying that this may have been a deliberate attempt to get this boat at a rock bottom price. :)

If it is proven to be the case then the police will definately be informed and I will keep you all updated .

Sorry, couldn't resist. On a more serious note, it certainly is a worrying incident. Whether it was deliberate or not, it means a lot of expensive hassle for the seller.

Plenty of rock bottom priced boats out there at the moment :)

Couldn't agree more, I bought this today (or at least paid the deposit), at 2k less than the owners originally very reasonable asking price.

IMGP0031.jpg

Edited by fuzzyduck

Plenty of rock bottom priced boats out there at the moment without taking on a boat that has been sunk and an expensive restoration to boot :)

Yep, one of my friends is selling his boat that he bought for £18k 5 years ago for just £3k as he can't afford boating and a land life as well. He was liveaboard, think the boat is about 35 ft long, steel narrowboat and very nice little bachelor pad or one double and 2 single berth holiday boat.

I also know of another steel nb just under 60ft that was valued at £14k just over twelve months ago that has just been revalued at £3k and it hasn't even sunk!

Bottoms definitely dropped out of the boat market. D

You say that, but my friends 54ft 21 year old boat just sold at Cowroast for asking price (£29.5k) after only being on the market a month or so.

Must have been a very nice boat. Most of the people I know who are trying to sell their boats are struggling. One has been trying to sell his boat for over 2 years but it is a top end boat and there aren't that many people out there who want to pay house type money for a narrowboat. The others are all expected to get less (possibly much less than the asking price). Anyone fancy a nice 50 footer, ideal liveaboard? One careful lady owner. Think it's going for £24k last time I walked past. Only selling due to change in circumstances in that she's fallen for a landlubber. D

Must have been a very nice boat. Most of the people I know who are trying to sell their boats are struggling. One has been trying to sell his boat for over 2 years but it is a top end boat and there aren't that many people out there who want to pay house type money for a narrowboat. The others are all expected to get less (possibly much less than the asking price). Anyone fancy a nice 50 footer, ideal liveaboard? One careful lady owner. Think it's going for £24k last time I walked past. Only selling due to change in circumstances in that she's fallen for a landlubber. D

Make the woman see sense !!!!!!!

She was a nice boat but I did think she was a bit over priced (knowing the history) but, well, she sold!

You are right that the market could be slumping, but I suppose that if you've the right boat at the right price then she'll sell.

Make the woman see sense !!!!!!!

I kinow it's slightly off topic but yes we've tried as my friend is one of us and has been liveaboard for years. She is really going to miss the boat and we've talked about it. Still, one saving grace, the boyfriend is another biker ... so all is not lost.

D

A friends boat which was for up sale appears to have been sunk deliberately. Someone got in contact with my friend directly after it had sunk to offer a most ridicules amount of money for it based on the fact that it was now sunk and as such scrap!!!

I wondered if any body else has any information of similar incidents around the canal system?

Could be of interest to know which part of the country this happened so others can beware. Was the boat on the canal where it was quiet or in a marina?

Could be of interest to know which part of the country this happened so others can beware. Was the boat on the canal where it was quiet or in a marina?

Could it have been the boat shown in the photo on this page?http://www.erniesplace.com/_BoatingDiaries...80112_Rugby.htm

A bit more info here (4th para down) - the believe it was sunk on purpose:http://www.erniesplace.com/_BoatingDiaries...4_Braunston.htm

This boat was moored a couple of miles or so south of Hillmorton on the north Oxford canal.

Going slightly off topic :) – a good 75% of boats that I pass at this time of year have just been left at the side of the tow path by their owners. You can generally tell when they have been set up to be left unattended for a while – very well tied to the pilings, chimney capped off, all curtains closed, stern covers in place, nothing left on roof/deck etc. etc. Most display current licenses and many are very expensive looking boats.I find it truly amazing that people can leave their pride and joy in such vulnerable positions. It also pisses me off slightly when I have to continuously slow down for these boats that have been permanently moored.

Edited by Ernie

Could it have been the boat shown in the photo on this page?http://www.erniesplace.com/_BoatingDiaries...80112_Rugby.htm

A bit more info here (4th para down) - the believe it was sunk on purpose:http://www.erniesplace.com/_BoatingDiaries...4_Braunston.htm

This boat was moored a couple of miles or so south of Hillmorton on the north Oxford canal.

Going slightly off topic :) – a good 75% of boats that I pass at this time of year have just been left at the side of the tow path by their owners. You can generally tell when they have been set up to be left unattended for a while – very well tied to the pilings, chimney capped off, all curtains closed, stern covers in place, nothing left on roof/deck etc. etc. Most display current licenses and many are very expensive looking boats.I find it truly amazing that people can leave their pride and joy in such vulnerable positions. It also pisses me off slightly when I have to continuously slow down for these boats that have been permanently moored.

Oooh I passed that boat on Saturday on my way from Hillmorton to Braunston - there were a couple there, one of them wearing a wetsuit, trying to pump it out. Anyone know if they managed to get her floating again yet?

I asked them if they knew why it had sank as the hull looked good and they said that they believe it had been sabotaged.

It's always someone else's fault........ :)

Frost has never been known to break a skin fitting or excessive rain water flood a boat enough to take it down below a deck drain hole or engine room vent.....

Yep, one of my friends is selling his boat that he bought for £18k 5 years ago for just £3k as he can't afford boating and a land life as well. He was liveaboard, think the boat is about 35 ft long, steel narrowboat and very nice little bachelor pad or one double and 2 single berth holiday boat.

I also know of another steel nb just under 60ft that was valued at £14k just over twelve months ago that has just been revalued at £3k and it hasn't even sunk!

Bottoms definitely dropped out of the boat market. D

Where are these cheap boats then? Must be worth that for spares.

It's always someone else's fault........ :)

Frost has never been known to break a skin fitting or excessive rain water flood a boat enough to take it down below a deck drain hole or engine room vent.....

Understand exactly what you are saying but in this instance I could well believe that it didn’t sink due to natural causes.

I passed the same boat a couple of weeks earlier. It was moored about a mile from where it is now sunk so it was quite capable of movement and had not been abandoned. When I first passed it, it was actually quite high in the water as it was partly empty as if it was part way through a re-fit.