Who are the real boaters

Gary Peacock

Featured Posts

nichinyo, never actually seen anyone wearing a Boater, yet. Seen some right charlies wearing some right weird hats, but no Boaters as yet.

Seems like a good idea though for a laugh eh? :(

Much of this is lifted from threads on uk.rec newsgroup - credit given.

You are a proper boater if you:

1.Moor across (at right angles to) the canal,thus allowing simultaneous

access to both banks.

2.Go full throttle when coming upon a fishing match,passing by quickly

and disturbing their fishing as little as possible.Also giving a cheery

wave to our fellow watersports enthusiasts.

3.Make rude hand gestures to people standing on bridges,showing that

you are not a person to be trifled with,thereby,discouraging anyone

from throwing objects at you.

4.Knock loudly on your neighbours cabin roof and shout 'goodnight'

through the window when returning at 3am from a 'lock-in' at the local

hostelry.Canalside friendliness is so important

5.Insist on right of way in the middle of an aqueduct when encountering

a working boat pulling a butty.You've only got a weeks holiday and he's

got all the time in the world to get to wherever he's going.

6.Use the canal as a lavatory,why fill up your holding tank

unnecessarily?

7. Always leave lock gates open and paddles up for the convenience of

the next user

8. Please strew your litter along the offside bank. It makes it look so

colourful and interesting

9. Encourage your dog to crap on the towpath. It distracts walkers from

making stupid comments like, "Ooh look! Rosie and Jim!" as you pass

10. Always moor on a waterpoint or pumpout wherever possible. It

encourages cheerful verbal intercourse in the boating community

11. If you can't find a waterpoint or pumpout to moor at then use a

winding hole as the next best location. Those people with 70 footers to

turn around love a tight squeeze !

12. After you've passed through a lift bridge always drop it down again

if another boat is heading towards it, they'll love being given the

chance to wind it back up again.

13. Go full throttle passed moored boats, so as to pass them as quickly

as possible. Their crockery probably needs replacing anyway.

14. After having a Chinese or Indian takeaway leave your empty cartons

on the towpath in the morning and move off, someone else will pick them

up and dispose of them for you.

5. To make sure you are securely moored up, always extend your ropes

the full way across the towpath. Cyclists and walkers will appreciate

the variety this gives to their otherwise flat and uneventful walk.

16. Long-term mooring is encouraged in bridgeholes, on lock moorings

etc., so long as you use green twine.

17 Leave all swing (and lift) bridges open after you, as this makes it

easier for the next boat.

18 Pass moored boats as quickly as possible. The movement of the boat

helps to keep the mooring ropes supple. Sometimes the boaters will come

out and show their appreciation by waving their fists in the traditional

boaters' greeting.

19 Water points make excellent 24 hour moorings.

nichinyo, never actually seen anyone wearing a Boater, yet. Seen some right charlies wearing some right weird hats, but no Boaters as yet.

Seems like a good idea though for a laugh eh? :D

Have you got any further re identification of members at Crick?laugh.gif

Tobytimothy

perhaps that's the answer to that dilemma then

:(

9. Encourage your dog to crap on the towpath. It distracts walkers from

making stupid comments like, "Ooh look! Rosie and jim!" as you pass

- Thats the best!

The number of times we get "whooo look, rosie and jim"

- Since when was the ragdoll a steamer! just becuase where painted the same colours! - lol

Daniel

Who do you consider to be the real proper boaters?

Is it the hardened 52 weeks a year live aboard types?

Is it the Saturday and Sunday plus 2 weeks a year plaything owners?

Is it the I've spent the kids inheritance on a real flash boat and a very expensive mooring and if the weather improves next year I might think about using it type?

Is it the it's a completely knacked skip, but messing with it gets me away from the wife type?

Or the it's going take me a few more months/years before it's finished or the interest runs out type?

Or the I don't actually own a boat but--- type?

Or the every holiday for 15 years we've hired a boat types?

Is it the eco warrior type living in the rust bucket hidden under the bridge somewhere?

Or is it a rarer yet to be discovered breed?

What do you fall into? I suppose all of them can lay claim to the title of PROPER BOATER.

Gary :(

There was a time when I'd have said this was a silly question, because I've always regarded all of them as proper boaters, and assumed that that they felt likewise.

I was put right on that one a couple of years ago by somebody who assured me that he was a proper boater, and I wasn't!

Coming down Marple locks, we encountered a boat mob-handed just about to turn a lock on us. I say we encountered a boat, but that isn't quite true. We actually encountered the lock team. The boat was nowhere to be seen, and was actually 3 locks further down. This was just the advance lock-setting party!

Upon gently suggesting that it might be more considerate not to set four locks ahead, and certainly not to turn a lock in the face of another boat, I received a tirade of abuse from one of the party, who assured me that he had been hiring boats for 30 years now, cruised for 3 weeks every year knew everything that there was to know about boating and wasn't in need of any advice from a Bloody Weekend Boater

Well, that told me!

He obviously does NOT know everything, otherwise he wouldn't of drawn the lock against you. Some people are right XYZ's !!!

I think there is such thing as a "Real Boater" Not everybody knows what they're doing on the cut afterall.

I would prefer not to explain as I wouldn't want to upset or p*ss any one off - It's only my own opinion.

Edited by Liam

• 2 weeks later...

There's alot of un-real boaters about, one's who close gates just as your aproaching, who say things like " sorry, you can't share the lock with us our boat's brand new" or who don't use gate paddles incase the boat gets wet ! or, don't push open gates with the boat, ones who beleive you need to close gates behind you, ( you are not, and never have been ) or, struggle to open gates when all they need do is put the enigine in gear and push them with the boat, or put gloss paint on the hull sides, or complain about work boats not having bow fenders...........................need to take my medication.

There's alot of un-real boaters about, one's who close gates just as your aproaching, who say things like " sorry, you can't share the lock with us our boat's brand new" or who don't use gate paddles incase the boat gets wet ! or, don't push open gates with the boat, ones who beleive you need to close gates behind you, ( you are not, and never have been ) or, struggle to open gates when all they need do is put the enigine in gear and push them with the boat, or put gloss paint on the hull sides, or complain about work boats not having bow fenders...........................need to take my medication.

You have gone way over the top. When you use the boat to open lock gates all you're doing is damaing both the gates and the boat. I put paint on my boat for a purpose, if you want to scrape it off, that's fine but I'd prefer it if you didn't damage the gates while you were at it.

Also, we all are supposed to close gates. This conserves water and it's always a pain if you have to close the gates and drop the paddes before you can set the lock.

I agree with you about new boats not sharing locks, after all it is a contact sport, but I don't agree with you when you say they don't open the gate paddles. Your boat must be battered to hell and always flooded.

There's nothing wrong with pushing top gates open with the boat as long as you don't ram the gate. If you allow your boat to drift against the gate and then put it into forward it will push the gate open gently allowing you to drop the paddles and get back onto the boat without a lot of rushing about.

As for closing gates and paddles, I agree that they should be closed unless there is a boat waiting to use the lock (or just arriving). They should not be closed in the face of oncoming boats - unless you enjoy being roundly abused.

Gate paddles should be used with care. Having been the victim of too early opening, I am not one for whacking them up! If your boat is not in the lock - you are lending a helping hand - the best way is to ask politely if you can lift the paddle. To be honest, it doesn't make that much difference if the answer is no - you just have to wait a few more minutes - hardly a killer in canal time!

but I don't agree with you when you say they don't open the gate paddles. Your boat must be battered to hell and always flooded.

My attitude to top gate pddles is if they don't have abaffle, don't open them until the water level is above the paddle. On narrow locks on the Shropshire Union for example, with baffled gate paddles, I open them up first, or second, basically with the rest, obviously keeping a close eye on where the boat is, but I've done this method for 20 years, and not once have I envountered any type of problem with them on the S.U, I do tend to have short boats and I leave them at the back of the chamber, I tie a rope round the lock ladder handle, or the post/bollard, so it doesn't drift forward and get caught on the sill, or of course get caught out by the ground/gate paddle currents.

Although I would prefer not to comment on it, I'd have to say boaters who go charging past your moored boat, with no care of slowing down and consideration for others are not 'real boaters'. Its bloody annoying when you're having you're lunch and then a boat on the move comes charging past, pulling out your pins and throwing the food on the floor, through the jolt of the boat.

I think it's very bad practice to use the handrails of the ladder on locks to check your boat as I've lost count of the amount of times I've nearly had an accident whilst trying to climb them. One one lock the ladder was that loose I couldn't climb up to work the lock. The ladder on the other side having dissapeared for some reason, probably the same one. I had to sit it out and wait in the lock until someone could shut the gate for me and start the lock filling so I could get up onto the bank and finish working it.

On another occasion (after waiting for ages) I had to back the boat out of the lock so I could get off onto the bank and then pull the boat in using a rope.

It's okay when there's a few of you and the helmsman doesn't have to get off the boat but for the ones that go it alone like me, it's a right pain in the stern.

I think it's very bad practice to use the handrails of the ladder on locks to check your boat as I've lost count of the amount of times I've nearly had an accident whilst trying to climb them. One one lock the ladder was that loose I couldn't climb up to work the lock. The ladder on the other side having dissapeared for some reason, probably the same one. I had to sit it out and wait in the lock until someone could shut the gate for me and start the lock filling so I could get up onto the bank and finish working it.

Having done a lot of single handed working myself, I tend to agree with you Liam. The trouble is that on some canals (notably the K&A) there are no bollards on the side of some locks to secure the boat, so if there isn't a convenient tree or fence, the handrail has to be used. I tend to be much more carefull with the lock operation and try to take most of the strain myself, but at the end of the day there is little alternative.

Whilst talking about bollards on lock sides, a few years ago I noticed that the bollards at one lock had been removed, so I took the matter up with the local BW office. They informed me that they had been removed for health and safety reasons - they were apparently considered to be a hazard to tousists visiting a nearby Canal attraction, because they might trip over them!!! I pointed out that my health and safety was being compromised as a consequence of their action, and that they were likely to be sued if a boat was damaged if there were no means of securing the boat whilst the lock was being operated, the next time I passed through, the bollards had been replaced.

David,

I do understand and agree. you can't hold the boat AND wind the paddles, so if there's no way to hold the boat back, what do you do?

I've normally either collared a passer by, or let some water in and then walk back to hold the boat. This takes considerably longer but, in my opinion safer. I'm in no rush whilst on the cut.

I remember somebody who works for BW is a member on these forums, maybe we could get some info from Eugene? (I think that's his name).

Edit > Maybe start an alternative post with a list of locks with either dodgy handrails or lack of bollards etc?

Edited by Liam

Beeston Iron, Shropshire Union. No ladders.

I guess thats a bit of a one off tho, what we it beeing plate sided, but you would have though they could have dont something. i does have ballards tho!

Daniel

Well I tend to use the bollards most anyway, I have used the ladder hadrails in the past, but not as much as the bollard. Of course, when it comes to tightly tying a rope round a lock bollard, everyone I would expect knows never to do that when going down!