Shower over bath

Pav

Featured Posts

Hi everyone,

Just been over to see the progress of Marmaduke. All seems well, apart from when I looked in the bathroom, the 4' bath has now been put in situ and it seemed to me that anyone standing in the bath to have a shower, as will be the case the majority of time, would not have much headroom.

This was confirmed when I stood in the bath and the top of my head actually touched the ceiling!!

The fitter said this was normal, which seemed a bit daft, given that not everyone is my height at 5'8''.

After voicing my concerns, the bath was lowered by way of the adjustable feet on the support cradle. Although it could have dropped lower still, this would not leave sufficient leaway for the drainage of water.

At this new setting, I had about 2'' above my head, which although better, I imagine would still make showering a bit of a game.

If you have the same set up (Bath with shower above) do you find the headroom to be restrictive when showering? Obviously this will depend on your own height, so with any feedback, can you please state your height.

Many thanks.

Regards,

Pav.

Hi everyone,

Just been over to see the progress of Marmaduke. All seems well, apart from when I looked in the bathroom, the 4' bath has now been put in situ and it seemed to me that anyone standing in the bath to have a shower, as will be the case the majority of time, would not have much headroom.

This was confirmed when I stood in the bath and the top of my head actually touched the ceiling!!

The fitter said this was normal, which seemed a bit daft, given that not everyone is my height at 5'8''.

After voicing my concerns, the bath was lowered by way of the adjustable feet on the support cradle. Although it could have dropped lower still, this would not leave sufficient leaway for the drainage of water.

At this new setting, I had about 2'' above my head, which although better, I imagine would still make showering a bit of a game.

If you have the same set up (Bath with shower above) do you find the headroom to be restrictive when showering? Obviously this will depend on your own height, so with any feedback, can you please state your height.

Many thanks.

Regards,

Pav.

Ours is the same setup and I am 5' 8" too. No problems to report, but I angle the shower head more upwards to wet my balding head. I imagine it would be a problem for those who are less vertically challenged than I.

No problems to report, but I angle the shower head more upwards to wet my balding head.

My wife and I are both 5’ 9” and we too have a shower over the bath and do not have a problem, like Dylan, once you get used to a quick bow to wash your hair or bald patch. You didn’t say in you post where your bath is located? Ours is a full length bath running lengthwise along the boat with one side under the gunwales.

Would it be possible to locate your bath more to the centre of the boat to give you additional headroom?

We have a similar setup and I don't find it to be a problem.

I am almost 5ft 10" and I have only about a quarter-inch clearance between my bald head and the ceiling. I soon got used to showering myself from the neck downwards, then ducking down for a moment to shower my face and head. I also got used to not standing up too quickly because immediately above my head is a metal grill (with ventilator and extractor fan), and I am somewhat follicly challenged so encounters with are a bit painful.

It is also the height of luxury to sit in a full, hot bath and turn on the shower to have a bath and a shower at the same time, although it helps if you are on a water point and have the water-heating (engine or boiler or both) going too.

Allan

Our bath (well, kids bath, otherwise large shower tray) is dropped through the floorboard, and is bedded with sealant onto a one inch plank of machine grade nylon (which was conveniently lying around doing nothing), bedded with sealant onto the baseplate, or in other words, as low as it was physically possible to get it with an elbow waste attached. I don't need to stoop, but if I was taller than my 5' 11" I'd have had to sink it through the baseplate.

(Of course, we have never used our boat for longer than 17 days at a stretch, so I've hardly had to use the shower).

Edited by Moley

We have a similar setup and I don't find it to be a problem.

I am almost 5ft 10" and I have only about a quarter-inch clearance between my bald head and the ceiling. I soon got used to showering myself from the neck downwards, then ducking down for a moment to shower my face and head. I also got used to not standing up too quickly because immediately above my head is a metal grill (with ventilator and extractor fan), and I am somewhat follicly challenged so encounters with are a bit painful.

It is also the height of luxury to sit in a full, hot bath and turn on the shower to have a bath and a shower at the same time, although it helps if you are on a water point and have the water-heating (engine or boiler or both) going too.

Allan

If we see you on a water point we will turn the water off and bash on the side of the boat. <_<

Why have a bath then shower in it? A shower tray is much more convenient.

Sue

We have a 5' bath with shower over. It is sunk slightly into the floor giving 6'1" headroom which is fine for my 6'0". Our son (who is over 1" taller) only has to dip his head very slightly and in fact he hasn't even noticed he did this until I mentioned it tonight!!

Edders

Hi everyone,

Many thanks.

Regards,

Pav.

A common problem, of course, which one learns to cope with by adopting the semi-crouch when rinsing above the neck!

If you have the space, (we designed it in) then the solution that we have opted for is an offset corner bath (Carron Dove 190 litre) with a bit of a seat in the corner, so you can sit down to wash your hair. Not installed yet so I can't report on how well it works, watch this space!

And yes, I know we'll need a big hot water tank for a bath that size, ours is 141 litres, a size we have to have anyway for the Heritage range to work properly. Fresh water tank will be over 1000 L.

Rick

dove_lh.jpg

dove_lh.jpg

If we see you on a water point we will turn the water off and bash on the side of the boat. <_<

Why have a bath then shower in it? A shower tray is much more convenient.Sue

A lot of people would agree with you, and of course it is each to their own. However we find the 4 foot bath extremely useful for other uses besides the obvious. We have wooden racks that fit above it for hanging wet clothes above to dry, and have washed larger items in it. I agree with other posters though that headroom is minimal, but viable.

We have the luxary of being a little deeper draughted than some, and having the floor relativly close the baseplate, and the bath sat right down low. Hence im 6ft2 and can just about get a showerhead over me without ducking too much.

- However im planning to refit, replacing the 4ft bath and curtain with a walking shower cubical, which i think i might move to the center line of the boat for even more headroom.

Daniel

proper boats don't have baths ................ :D:rolleyes::unsure:

I just have a shower - no bath. It's a full size glass quadrant on a ceramic base which stands 6'5" overall - about 3" from the ceiling at its apex in the middle of the boat. Personally I wouldn't have a bath on a boat - they waste far too much water and space.